$300 Beater Build *the condensed version* - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > $300 Beater Build *the condensed version*

Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-roadRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 08-16-2014, 03:40 PM   #121
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Well. . . Work in g at cleaning up the garage today. Cleaned up the air compressor I picked up from a buddy. It was covered in some oil sludge. Looks great now.

Also picked up a new toy from Harbor Freight. Need to get the air compressor up and running to use it.

koolaid5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2014, 03:44 PM   #122
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Then I pulled the Jeep from its t i mbps ad parked it out back. Sure does look good parked out back.

Unread 08-16-2014, 03:46 PM   #123
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Could this be the cause of one of the clunks I hear when driving?

Kicking myself in the *** for picking up 6.5" leaf springs instead of 4.5...

Anyone want to trade?
Unread 09-01-2014, 04:23 PM   #124
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

I was moving the Jeep back into the garage today to replace the serpentine belt and was making a HORRIBLE noise.

Think I found the culprit . . .

Unread 09-01-2014, 04:24 PM   #125
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

I think this one will work a little better.

Unread 09-04-2014, 06:41 AM   #126
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

I'm not sure if anyone is watching this anymore, but I need some advice and feedback.

How high is too high for an XJ on 35's and full with axles? Have any of you run with an 8 inch lift? My issue is that my ******* bought 6 1/2 inch Rusty's leaf springs thinking that I would weigh them down with as heavy as the *** end of my Jeep is. However, that was not the case. So, if I run those leaf packs along with my cm shackle relocation brackets I am sitting around 8 inches of lift. I only have six and a half inch rustys coils in the front. I was originally going to run without my shackle relocation brackets and pull a leaf spring out of the pack. I decided that I don't want to do that anymore, so to level it out I'm considering putting a 2 inch coil spacer in the front. If the *** end does eventually settle a bit I can pull out the coil spacers. I'm hoping that's what happens. One of the reasons I want to keep the shackle relocation brackets is because right now without them, my shackles are hitting the back of the stock shackle mount and making a god awful, jolting clunk.

What are your thoughts?

If no one is paying attention to this anymore I guess I'll post it up in its own thread. Thanks
Unread 09-04-2014, 06:56 AM   #127
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I wouldn't go over 5.

I'm at 2.5-3 inches of lift on tall 35s (34.5) and don't like how it is in extreme off camber situations. I'm stable but it is t fun I would be terrified of 8 inches of lift.
Unread 09-04-2014, 07:08 AM   #128
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

UGH! Well, I'll at least be at 6.5, which is close to what I'm at now. Do you have any issues with your shackles hitting in the back? What setup are you running that you're that low. I really did want to just trim more, which I did, and not go this tall. I might just keep going this route and test it out at least. I still want to keep the feedback coming. Thanks for chiming in.

I really appreciate the input from actual experience and not just "well, I read a lot of message boards and you NEED to go with a LCOG build. That's what I'm running on my mall crawler / pavement princess!"
Unread 09-04-2014, 07:28 AM   #129
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolaid5
UGH! Well, I'll at least be at 6.5, which is close to what I'm at now. Do you have any issues with your shackles hitting in the back? What setup are you running that you're that low. I really did want to just trim more, which I did, and not go this tall. I might just keep going this route and test it out at least. I still want to keep the feedback coming. Thanks for chiming in.

I really appreciate the input from actual experience.

Dakota or s10 main leaf spare jeep leafs
Factory shackle rear sits lower than the fronts so I have inch lift shackles to go in.

Re coils 1 coil cut.
Iro t bar
RUFFSTUFF steering
Bronco Dana 44
And short arms.
Short arms are working for me.
Unread 09-04-2014, 09:08 AM   #130
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke95 View Post

Dakota or s10 main leaf spare jeep leafs
Factory shackle rear sits lower than the fronts so I have inch lift shackles to go in.

Re coils 1 coil cut.
Iro t bar
RUFFSTUFF steering
Bronco Dana 44
And short arms.
Short arms are working for me.
I just bought the 6.5" Rusty's full packs though. I am stubborn and poor, so I really want to make them work, if at all possible.

Stock leaf packs are not really an option. They are the original '92 packs. Even with my RC 4.5" AAL they were sagging... sitting completely flat. They are too old and tired to use. That's why I upgraded to the full packs in the first place.

Keep the comments and suggestions coming
Unread 09-04-2014, 11:47 AM   #131
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolaid5

I just bought the 6.5" Rusty's full packs though. I am stubborn and poor, so I really want to make them work, if at all possible.

Stock leaf packs are not really an option. They are the original '92 packs. Even with my RC 4.5" AAL they were sagging... sitting completely flat. They are too old and tired to use. That's why I upgraded to the full packs in the first place.

Keep the comments and suggestions coming
Gut them to make a bastard pack?!
Unread 09-04-2014, 11:49 AM   #132
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Luke is right, for the most part. But as each of us drives differently on different terrain, maybe you should put it together and see how it works for you. I know that where I live, clearance is key due to the amounts of snow we get. I'd prefer a 6" for 33's, but you may have different needs and desires.
Unread 09-04-2014, 12:17 PM   #133
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8NNG8
Luke is right, for the most part. But as each of us drives differently on different terrain, maybe you should put it together and see how it works for you. I know that where I live, clearance is key due to the amounts of snow we get. I'd prefer a 6" for 33's, but you may have different needs and desires.
We get alot of snow here as we'll but with how I have alot relatively tucked up I'm not to worried about it.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.