$300 Beater Build *the condensed version* - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > $300 Beater Build *the condensed version*

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 02-13-2014, 04:35 PM   #106
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Ok, some updated pics.....

Last night I got the rear driver's side shock mount slapped back on and I started working on the driver's side front fender flare a bit. I got the sheet metal trimmed up a bit and tacked on the fender side. I clamped the tube side, but it isn't tacked at all. I wanted to get it on there real quick to stiffen everything up before attempting to drive the HEEP to work today.

Tacked on.....

Then excess trimmed up......

koolaid5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2014, 04:44 PM   #107
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

And some shots of the HEEP out and about.... at work....

Look at the difference in ground clearance here.... He sits a hair taller, my diff has a little more clearance, but looking at the sides.... WOW! Maybe I should boatside it to make the difference even more ridiculous.

Unread 02-13-2014, 05:15 PM   #108
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

and then the XTERRA decided to end up buried in the snow bank up to the frame and bumper with rear tires completely covered.

After 20-30 min digging him out....

I yanked him out the rest of the way.....

and the only damage done was to his pride.... We had a good laugh about it after he was out. Well, I was laughing the whole time, but he didn't fully appreciate the situation until it was resolved.

Unread 03-03-2014, 02:44 AM   #109
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Order Placed through Foothill Motorsports.....

Universal Shock Hoop Kit - 110164-1-KIT - $61.95
Tire Plug Kit - 180005-KIT - $21.00
TG Winch Puck - 180352-KIT - $9.45
Rock Recovery™ Straps - 180052-KIT - $34.65
Total - $127.05 and free shipping

I really just wanted the shock hoops, because I just picked up a set of bilstein 5100's from Vassago (Thanks again for the great deal man....much appreciated). Figured I might as well do the shock hoop thing now since I'm installing new shocks anyway.... Figured I'd pick up a few odds and ends while I was at it.

Decided to hold off on suspension seats and monstaliner for now, so I had a few $$'s set aside since I have my annual work bonus coming and my monthly GI Bill. Just don't tell the wife, because we need new living room furniture.
Unread 03-09-2014, 08:52 PM   #110
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Shocks arrived today!

Unread 08-04-2014, 08:55 AM   #111
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Wow, 5 months since I posted? I just don't have the time to dedicate to finishing up the XJ.

Managed to cut off the tube fender, paint fender skins and new cheapo redneck flares, and got it all mounted. Front is now legal. Next on the list is the rear flares. Hopefully I can pass inspection after that. The only other thing I'm worried about failing for is not having a front sway bar. I have excessive body roll. It is VERY noticeable. I really want to remedy that. Not sure if this much roll is normal with the T&T longarms, or if I don't have something adjusted quite right.

Unread 08-07-2014, 09:15 PM   #112
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Slapped the rear redneck flares on tonight. One step closer. . .
Unread 08-13-2014, 06:54 AM   #113
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Red top died on me. Picked up an AGM specific battery charger. I didn't realize I needed one, so I probably killed the battery. It failed the charger's test. Highest it got was before displaying "bad" and shutting off. . .

Unread 08-13-2014, 06:55 AM   #114
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Picked up a regular lead acid battery from Tractor Supply 2 days ago, but I think that is going back. I found a $50 off coupon for Advance Auto and used it to pick up an AotoCraft Platinum AGM battery for $143. Not too shabby.

I did charge the he'll out of the red top and got it up to 12.5v, but it still fails the AGM character's diagnostic test. Oh well, I tried.

I also contacted Haul Designs. They said they will hook me up with an alignment for $65 and give the Jeep a once over to check my work. After all that is done and I correct anything they find, I'm FINALLY ready to hook it up with insurance, registration, and inspection, get tags and WHEEL. It's been almost 3 years since I've used and abused the Jeep.
Unread 08-14-2014, 12:11 AM   #115
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Modified battery box to fit the larger battery and shoehorned it in there. One thing checked off the to do list anyway.

Unread 08-14-2014, 12:13 AM   #116
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

And got a New toy from Harbor Freight. Need to blast my cage and get it at least primed to keep it from rusting before I get around to installing it.

Unread 08-15-2014, 12:26 PM   #117
AKIQPilot

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Looking good Kool. Glad to see you back at the jeep. You have any wheeling trips planned.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2014, 12:32 PM   #118
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIQPilot View Post
Looking good Kool. Glad to see you back at the jeep. You have any wheeling trips planned.
Baby steps man. . . Let's get the Jeep finished up, tested on some small local trails, and then I'll see about setting up a trip.
Unread 08-15-2014, 12:34 PM   #119
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Hey everyone. . . I am giving up on keeping comments contained in my other thread and having this one reserved for my updates only. . . So, comment away.
Unread 08-15-2014, 01:30 PM   #120
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolaid5 View Post
Hey everyone. . . I am giving up on keeping comments contained in my other thread and having this one reserved for my updates only. . . So, comment away.
I wondered how long iit'd be before you got tired of posting everything twice. It's not like we don't get enough of it by repeating the fixes on our Jeeps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.