$300 Beater Build *the condensed version* - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > $300 Beater Build *the condensed version*

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-14-2013, 04:35 PM   #91
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Didn't get around to centering the axle yet, but I DID fool around with the tube fender flares real quick yesterday. How high should I place them. I'm thinking this might be a bit too high and need a little more chopped off to lower them. I was going to weld them to the fender skins I still have to install, bit now I'm thinking of welding the front to the bumper, like I have in these pics. I just tacked it in place real quick at the bumper to see how it looked.

Chopped off a few inches of the front bumper. . .

Thoughts. . . Comments. . . Criticisms???

Condensed $300 Beater Build Thread - Updates Only - No Chit Chat

Original $300 Beater Build Thread - Please use this for comments
koolaid5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2014, 08:33 PM   #92
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

WOW! Has it really been 5 freakin' months since I posted on here? At this rate, I might have the HEEP finished and ready for the trails by the time my 10 year old daughter gets her license.

Well, I haven't really done much, but I DID buy myself a belated XMAS gift that I would like to get around to installing soon. The other night I installed the driver's side front fender skin as well. I need to pull it back off to paint it, but at least it is progress. That is what I will be welding the tube fender flare to. I might work on that tomorrow, but it is hard to do solo. I need to chop more off of the tube and decide exactly how to position it, but I need someone else to hold it up, so I can step back and take a look at it. Plus, I'm just nervous to hack anymore off. I'd hate to hack too much off and then be screwed.

Unread 01-16-2014, 09:03 PM   #93
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Ok, here are some installation pics. . .

And installed. . .

Unread 01-16-2014, 09:06 PM   #94
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

And what is this peaking out from behind the saw on my workbench???

Unread 01-16-2014, 09:15 PM   #95
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Speaking of workbench. . . . I spent a few hours one day chopping my two craftsman benches to the same height, so I could bolt on this diamond plate I got free from work. Now I have a HUGE work area. It might be hard to tell in the pics, but there is a large space between the back of the workbench to the wall for storage. I put 4x4 posts in te back to support the diamond plate.

Oh, and this is the "truck" I hauled lumber home from lowes. There are some 6x6 beams in there that I have no idea what to do with. Anyone need 'em?

Unread 01-26-2014, 04:46 AM   #96
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Alright.... last week I got the driver's side tube welded on, sheet metal cut out, and initial bend to get the general shape. I just bent it over my leg. I had some issues with fitting the tubing. When I first cut it I had it curving down and welded to the top of the front bumper. I didn't like how that stuck out and had planned on cutting some more off and having it weld directly to the fender skin. When I welded it on like that I didn't like how far back it had to sit. With the LA and axle upgrade my front axle is pushed forward a few inches. It just didn't look right and was going to get in the way when flexing. SO, I cut it back off and moved it forward a few inches. By doing this I couldn't keep it level, because then the rear didn't reach the fender skin. So, I raised the back of it and have it sloping down. I actually really like the look of it, so I'm glad it worked out that way. Also, when I moved it forward I welded it to the top of the bumper and the fender skin. I plan on welding in a piece of scrap behind it to fill in the gap and tie it all together. The welding isn't finished yet. Don't mind the boogery welds. I'm still learning. I plan on grinding them down to purty them up a bit. They're strong as **** though. I'll be able to stand on this thing when all is said and done.

Put your comments (good, bad, doesn't matter. Give me some feedback) in my other thread. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...-build-867664/

After I get this finished up I plan on trimming more of the fender. I'm REALLY not looking forward to doing the passenger's side. Doubt I have the skills to match it exactly, but hope it isn't too far off that it looks ridiculous. We'll see.....

Unread 02-03-2014, 11:14 AM   #97
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Ok, so I got the passenger's side leaf spring cut out and was out in the garage until 5am getting the new 6.5" Rusty's leaf springs in and everything put back together, so I could move the Jeep back to get the wife's van out of the snow.

So, here is the issue. . . If you have followed my build thread you know that I started with a 4.5" RC AAL an have upgraded to a T&T LA setup. This left me with the RC shocks, coils, and AAL. My leaf springs were D-U-N. . . DONE, so I picked up the Rusty's right after XMAS, because no one loves me enough to buy them for me. Before I installed them I measured behind the rear tire approximately 68" from the garage floor to the drip rail. This is with my HD Offroad shackle relocation brackets and RC 2" shackles installed. After installation I have an INSANE amount of rake and measured 75.5" in the same location WITHOUT the shackles installed. This is f'n ridiculous. Take a look at the pics and let me know if I f'd something up or what. I was expecting 2-4 inch increase with the new leaf springs, but with the shackles. . . Not 7.5 f'n inches without them. JESUS H. CHRIST!

Oh, and my rear driver's side lower shock mount ripped off again. Guess I didn't do such a great job welding that back on. . . Hahahahaha. . . . Oops

Unread 02-03-2014, 11:35 AM   #98
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Out with the old and in with the new.

Unread 02-03-2014, 11:42 AM   #99
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Unread 02-03-2014, 11:50 AM   #100
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

I don't think the pictures quite capture the amount of rake this thing has. It looks ridiculous in person.

I can try to get some better pics in the next day or two. I'm hoping I just didn't something stupid on the install. I did finish up at 5am. That makes two nights in a row averaging 2 - 2.5 hours of sleep per night. Worked 8 hours yesterday and right now I'm 4 hours into a 12 hour shift. Oh JOY!

Unread 02-08-2014, 10:27 AM   #101
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Removed the two smallest leaf springs, which dropped me down 2 - 2.5" in the rear. Still about 2.5 - 3" higher than the front. I ordered 6.5" Rusty's coils. They will be here Monday. I didn't get the best customer service from Rusty's when just emailing them, but I really can't complain about their service when I called. They gave me $25 off the springs, the girl was awesome, and they shipped a few hours after I placed the order.

Pics after the two leaf springs were removed. I will most likely move the shackle in one more hole on the relocation brackets.

Unread 02-11-2014, 06:22 PM   #102
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Well, Rusty's 6.5" coils installed. Rear is only sitting 1" higher than the front now.

SO, now I'm considering putting the two leaf springs I pulled out of each pack back in and removing my HD Offroad shackle relocation brackets. With that done I SHOULD only raise the rear another 1/2 inch putting it 1.5" higher than the front. I think once I put my spare tire on the swing out carrier and they settle a bit I'll be pretty close to level. It's either that or try to sell the 6.5" springs in favor of some 4.5" ones and keep the relocation brackets.

THOUGHTS???

Unread 02-11-2014, 06:24 PM   #103
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

and here are a few pics....

the RC coils sitting next to the new Rusty's. They really don't look much taller at all, but I gained roughly 2.5" - 2.75" after installing them.

and here is my little helper....

Unread 02-11-2014, 11:56 PM   #104
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Decision made and work already completed. HD Offroad Shackle Rlocation Brackets removed and leaves reinstalled back in the leaf packs. Actually only has the rear sitting at 7" of lift right now and 3/4 of an inch higher than the front.

I'm very happy with that.

Unread 02-12-2014, 03:21 PM   #105
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Post all ?'s in my other thread please. I'll answer, but moderator will move these posts to my NON condensed, updates only thread. . .

Shackle angle isn't what I want it to be without the relocation brackets, but they aren't QUITE straight up and down. I might pick up some of the no lift shackle relocation brackets or the slider boxes from liquid iron industries, but just going to run like this for now.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.