$300 Beater Build *the condensed version* - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > $300 Beater Build *the condensed version*

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-03-2013, 05:43 AM   #76
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Ok, so here are the wheel adapters installed....

koolaid5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 05:52 AM   #77
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Finally rolled the XJ out of the garage for the first time in TOO long after I installed the 35's, new transfer case with SYE, new driveshaft, and fixed a few small things. I took it for a spin around the block a few times. The mini spool in the rear is going to take a bit of getting used to, but it isn't that bad. I couldn't turn the steering wheel to full lock, because the front wheels got into the fenders. I'll be trimming a lot in the near future. I also got some SERIOUS shaking/thrashing twice at low speed... about 15mph the whole Heep started convulsing. A tap on the brakes and it settled down. Not sure what is causing that, but I know I have a lot of adjustments to make yet. Need to adjust longarms, do an alignment, and grease everything that can be greased.

Thoughts??? Input??? Suggestions??? Let me have it.

*edit* Remember to comment in my other thread. . . link located in my signature. Thanks

Unread 07-03-2013, 05:56 AM   #78
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

and a few more of steering, longarms, driveshaft, gas tank skid, and winch. . .

Unread 08-01-2013, 06:08 PM   #79
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Ok, so I was sitting at the house wishing I had a ramp to see how the Jeep flexes. I was looking at the retaining wall in front of my pool and the light bulb went off......

Sorry the pics are so dark, but I got the idea as the sun was going down and I couldn't wait until daylight..... so this is what you get until I do it again. The wife wasn't very amused. She and my daughter told me they were going to laugh at me if I flopped the HEEP and to not ask them for any help when I did.
Unread 08-01-2013, 06:28 PM   #80
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Then a few days later I flexed the rear in the garage with the floor jack. I was just trying to get an idea of how much more I have to trim. It's a little tight, but it doesn't look like I have TOO much work to do back there. I am going to beat on the lower fenders a bit and chop off the rear bumper side protection. The guy made those pieces pretty long.

Unread 08-01-2013, 06:31 PM   #81
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

I'll have to slap the front drive shaft in, so I can do the same to the front soon. That, and I have to find a better place/way to flex it more, so I can decide on what I need to do as far as bump stops and limiting straps.

I also practiced welding last week. I managed to weld up my exhaust. I have a few pin holes that need touched up, but other than that I was pretty pleased with myself. My welds were progressively looking less and less like big lumps of bird ****. I am going to try and work on the Jeep a little more this weekend and HOPEFULLY.....POSSIBLY.... have it ready for inspection real soon!
Unread 08-01-2013, 06:38 PM   #82
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

It's very important to take a break from working in the garage to have some fun too. Here I am "teaching the kids to mow", which basically just means I let my son and daughter take turns riding the mower around the back yard, so I could steal my son's little Baja dirt bike to play on

Unread 08-03-2013, 11:07 AM   #83
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Got a little bit of work done last night. Troubleshoot the wiper issue. Wipers only worked on high and would stop wherever they were when you turned them off. After doing a search on here it turns out that the wiper delay module was bad. The wiper delay module is a cell phone sized black box that is velcroed up under the driver's side dash.

I just removed the box and plugged the connectors together. Now I won't have delay, but I have two wiper speeds and they return to the bottom when turned off again. The wipers ARE still a bit slow, but they are better. My guess is that something just needs greased, but I'm not worried about it for now.
Unread 08-03-2013, 11:11 AM   #84
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

I also got rid of my homebrew cowl intake and finally installed the THOR cowl intake that I picked up awhile ago. Simple, quick install. Not much to it. I just made the hole in my firewall bigger, because THOR positions the air filter perpendicular to the firewall instead of laying sideways in the cowl how I had it before, so instead of the hole just being big enough for the tube it needed to be big enough to fit the diameter of the air filter through.

Here are a few pics of the install. . . .

Unread 08-03-2013, 11:13 AM   #85
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

I also adjusted the front pinion angle. The pinion was pretty much "flat". I lengthened the upper control arms to roll the axle forward and now the pinion is angled up slightly. I did NOT measure the angle or anything. I just eyeballed it. I just got done hooking up the front drive shaft and plan on taking it for a spin in a bit, so I guess we'll see how she does.
Unread 08-03-2013, 11:32 AM   #86
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Unread 08-03-2013, 11:36 AM   #87
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Next up on the to-do list is to touch up the few pin holes in my exhaust and then tackle THIS..... This should be quite interested

I don't know though. I might just do a quick fix for now to pass inspection. Just use self tapping sheet metal screws to attach some cheapo black plastic garden edging to cover the fenders.
Unread 08-03-2013, 02:29 PM   #88
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Just a little backyard flexing in the daylight this time. . .

Unread 08-03-2013, 02:36 PM   #89
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

I already knew I needed to trim the rear bumper side protection. The way I'm sitting right now up on the retaining wall it is hitting my rear driver's side tire and won't let me back up. I think I'm just going to park there for the night and fix it tomorrow. Going to quit working on the Jeep now and take the family to see Grown Ups II.

Here is a new issue that I just noticed.... NOT happy about this one or know what to do about it at all. Someone come and make this not like this for me

Unread 08-05-2013, 05:18 AM   #90
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Turns out once my suspension settled the front axle shifted an inch or two to the passenger side. So, I just have to recenter the axle and the driver's side coil shouldn't rub the track bar mount anymore. WHEW!!! Glad that wasn't a more pain in the *** fix.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.