Oh, and here are a few pics of the cut and fold. . . Did that last night. Not the neatest job, but it works and it's not like my Jeep is anywhere near a show Jeep. Not going to win any trophies, but it will hopefully be functional.
Getting the other two 5 lug wheels ready, so when I finally decide what tires I'm going with I can mount them.
Wheels were a little boogered up. . .
So, I hit them up with a flap wheel and then a wire wheel. I didn't bother getting them anywhere near perfect, because the paint will cover up some of the crap and even if they did come out perfect they wouldn't stay that way for long, so. . . .
Self etching primer. . .
And then some cheapo flat black. Nothing special, but I think they cleaned up quite nicely.
Oh, and I WAS thinking of painting them metallic red over bedliner to give it texture like I am doing in other places on the Jeep. The wife and my 9 year old daughter talked me out of it. They said it would be too much, look stupid, and just plain ugly.
Transfer case is out and the new one with SYE installed is just about ready to go in. Just need to swap the VSS over. BUT. . . When I removed the VSS from the old transfer case I found a lot of sandy, dirty, muddy, NC sludge, so I'm guessing the RIGHT thing to do would be to drain the transmission and put a new filter in it while I have everything torn apart? gggrrrrrrr. . . I thought I was supposed to be BUILDING this thing up? Seems like I just keep ripping it apart more and more.
That last pic was my makeshift seat for the UFC fights the other night. Two big screen tv's in the house THAT I BOUGHT and this is where I am shoved to watch something I want to. No big deal. . . I was actually comfortable and the garage IS my favorite room in tbhe house. Guess I just need to accept it and upgrade my tv
Transmission pan dropped. Spent half an hour clening up the f'n rubber seal. Cleaned up, filter changed, and pan reinstalled. One problem. . . Forgot to connect the two parts of the dip stick tube. Now the pan is all nice and seated and I can't get the f'n bolt up in the engine bay holding the top portion of the dip stick tube to f'n budge. This is frustrating as ****. Don't think it helps that I've been up for 23 hours so far. Poop
Anyway the new transfer case with SYE is installed and after I take a break I'll go back out to reinstall the bellypan and connect the control arms back up. With all of that taken care of I'll be able to measure for my rear drive shaft, so I can get that ordered.
Transmission pan. . .
Oh, and the transmission fluid actually looked really good, so all of this bull**** could probably be avoided. . . Oh well. . .
I think I managed to get the transmission dip stick tube back together, but not some of my finest work. It got bent and now I'm just worried about water getting in there. I slapped some RTV around it and my secure it further with a hose clamp. I know it is ****ty, but I was tired and frustrated. Come to think of it. . . That's how I usually am when I'm out in the garage, so this fi is just par for the course.
The bellypan was fighting me, so I left it, showered, and took a much needed nap. I am in the process of doing my monthly work shift rotation. Switching from Mid shift to Day shift, so I'll get the belly pan and control arms slapped back on another day.
Oh, I had one more failure today as well. . . Since I was so tired and my brain was not cooperating I figured I would tackle something easy. . . . To pop off the front wheels and install my wheel adapters. I took the driver's side off, put the first piece of the adapter on using red lock-tite and torqueing to specs. THEN of course I hit a snag. The 2nd piece of the adapter doesn't f'n fit over the lockout hub. It is a good 1/8th inch too small. First the guy sent me the wrong size open end lug nuts, now the 2nd piece of the adapter is the wrong size. . . **** THIS ****!!! I emailed him, but if he doesn't have a damned good solution that can remedy this issue quickly I will just be asking for a full refund. I'm chomping at the bit to get my 35's mounted and under the XJ, but I'm not mounting them until I have the adapter issue resolved. ****!
Got my new tire mounting tool today. Much stronger than the red flimsy one that came with my HF tire changer. Notice the end I bent already when dismounting one tire.
In other news. . . I heard back from the guy that made my adapters and he told me to send them back, so he can machine the lip off the center, so they will fit. That will just make them hub centric and not wheel centric though. Not so sure what to do about it. . .
Bellypan back in place, control arms bolted back in, and the Jeep back on the ground. Next up is mounting the 35's, but I tried for an hour or two yesterday and was unsuccessful. Started a new thread in the non-technical cherokee section crying about it and asking for help.
FINALLY got the wheel adapters worked out. Guy made me the wrong top plates. I had to send them back and have him make me new ones to the correct specs. From the time I ordered them until the time I got the correct parts it was over 3 f'n months. With that said. . . I'm pretty damn happy with the final product.
So, with the wheel adapters in hand I got those installed, mounted the front 35's, tossed those on, and got the XJ off jack stands and back on the ground.
Next I'll be installing the ballistic fab battery box, THOR cowl intake, welding up the exhaust, finding and installing a rear drive shaft, checking all fluids, and taking it for a spin
Shouldn't take more than 6 more months for that. . .