$300 '92 Beater Build - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > $300 '92 Beater Build

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 11-02-2009, 11:36 AM   #121
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke94XJ View Post
way to go koolaid, I was thinking... umm... trail rig, sounds like that's the plan eh? since you don't care too much about her, aal is fine. She'll be a great trail rig!
NOPE!!! not a trail rig. It's my DD

Condensed $300 Beater Build Thread - Updates Only - No Chit Chat

Original $300 Beater Build Thread - Please use this for comments
koolaid5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2009, 11:50 AM   #122
ehall
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolaid5 View Post
I also noticed the exhaust smoking after it was even warmed up. Check out on the driveway... Those marks are from the exhaust. CRAP... what does THAT mean?
probably just normal condensation, it should stop once it warms up. also put your hand in the smoke and smell it

Quote:
AAAANNNNNDDDDD....one more thing. This ceramic ground thingy on the driver's side under the hood was F'N SMOKING... what the HELL!!!! I'm not sure if you'll be able to see it in the vid or not.
that's a voltage regulator for the fuel pump. when the key is first turned the pump gets full 12v current for 3 seconds but then the power is diverted through that regulator which kicks it down to 6v so that the pump runs quieter. heat is from shedding current. you can replace the thing for $5 or bypass it if it bothers you
ehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2009, 12:11 PM   #123
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

thanks ehall.... the voltage regulator dealio doesn't bother me at all. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't going to be an issue with it.

the condensation.... It seems to do it on warm days too though... and not sure what I'm smelling for in the exhaust....

Unread 11-02-2009, 12:53 PM   #124
dead2rollin
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Yeah, I was about to pull the trigger on that stuff from Summit, before I checked a small local shop that hooked me up for $250. After crawling around underneath and taking a better look at the header though.... that's going to eventually need replaced. It's a bit banged up, which probably occurred when the front drive shaft fell off for the PO.

Any chance you want to give up one of those sets of wheels? I'd love the 32's, but will settle for 31's.
hmmm... ill could let the 32s go on the stock steelies with the center caps (short one tire)... email me n we can talk bout it... goinlowizu@yahoo.com
dead2rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2009, 06:35 PM   #125
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

OK.... oil pressure issue is put on hold for now. I ran the HEEP about 1/4 mile to my son's soccer practice tonight. When I got home I smelled coolant and then I heard it hit the driveway when I shut the engine off. WTF????

No coolant leaks too much until I cut the engine off and then it looks like it is leaking from what I'm guessing is the water pump (remember I'm learning as I go here). It's the hose that goes to the bottom of the radiator. I didn't have much time to check it out, but..... my coolant was low, no pressure built up under the radiator cap, and the cap wasn't hot. WTF does this mean? Did my pump die? I didn't run it very far, but it didn't seem in any danger of overheating.

I have to work tomorrow through Sunday, so I fired up the gsxr and will be riding that the rest of the week I guess. I hope it's not TOO cold or rainy

HELP

Unread 11-02-2009, 07:21 PM   #126
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

ok not too sure about the coolant problem... You need to find out more accurately where its coming from.

1. if its leaking out of the waterpump weep hole, this is a sign your waterpump is worn and might need to be replaced
2. you could have a cracked hose, but that would leak constantly.
3. blockage in radiator?

its hard to say without knowing where the leak is coming from

As far as oil pressure....
Go to autozone or any local autoparts store. They can rent you a mechanical oil pressure gauge so you can know exactly what your pressure is

Also the condensation seems normal. Mine has always done basically the same thing and has only 93K miles. There will be more condensation if the jeep is only driven on short trips. When the engine gets warmed up all the way and the exhaust gets hot it helps evaporate the condensation.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2009, 07:23 PM   #127
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Ok, so after reading a few threads it looks like it is most likely my water pump. I'm guessing the leak is coming from the "weep" hole. I'll have to pick up a new pump on the way home tomorrow. How long does it take to do this swap? I'll probably just end up replacing all the hoses and doing a flush while I'm at it. CRAP... I just had 4 days off and could have done this instead of sitting on my arse today, but NNNNNOOOOO.... the problem has to pop up at night before I have to get up early for work. My next day off isn't until next Monday either. Tuesday - work, Wed-Fri - class for work, Sat-Sun - work

Unread 11-02-2009, 07:25 PM   #128
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah JK.... I'll pick up a manual pressure gauge while I'm at the store tomorrow as well. Thanks

Unread 11-02-2009, 07:39 PM   #129
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Ok, so after reading a few threads it looks like it is most likely my water pump. I'm guessing the leak is coming from the "weep" hole. I'll have to pick up a new pump on the way home tomorrow. How long does it take to do this swap? I'll probably just end up replacing all the hoses and doing a flush while I'm at it. CRAP... I just had 4 days off and could have done this instead of sitting on my arse today, but NNNNNOOOOO.... the problem has to pop up at night before I have to get up early for work. My next day off isn't until next Monday either. Tuesday - work, Wed-Fri - class for work, Sat-Sun - work

since your replacing the waterpump anyway, i'd upgrade to the flowkooler highflow waterpump. My buddy has it on his '89 XJ and loves it. It moves the coolant faster at lower rpms then after about 3500 rpms it stays constant so it won't create too much flow. My buddy's electric fan almost never comes on during the summer. I plan on upgrading to it next summer because this past summer my jeep ran a bit warm.

heres some info on it... Flow Kooler 1747 - Flow Kooler Mechanical Water Pumps - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Build Thread:
Unread 11-02-2009, 07:44 PM   #130
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah? will they have that at O'Reily's or AutoZone? I was reading that I should also just go ahead and replace the thermostat as well while I'm at it and something with the fan. I'm not sure I want to just start replacing everything though. I think I may just do the pump.

Unread 11-02-2009, 07:50 PM   #131
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Yeah? will they have that at O'Reily's or AutoZone? I was reading that I should also just go ahead and replace the thermostat as well while I'm at it and something with the fan. I'm not sure I want to just start replacing everything though. I think I may just do the pump.
I bet autozone or O'Reily's would have it. We only have autozone around here. My buddy ordered that same one off summit racing. The reason people say replace the thermostat is because you have to take almost the same stuff off to replace the waterpump. Like while you have the cooling system drained its a good idea. I replaced most of my cooling system and my XJ ran so much cooler.

I would do:

the waterpump (maybe the flowkooler)
195* Thermostat - its like 6 bucks from the dealer and will make a difference
fan clutch - they wear out after 5 years and you have to remove the fan anyway to get at everything (about 35 bucks)
flush out the cooling system

Its worth the piece of mind knowing you won't have to replace these items for awhile and your cooling system should function well.

Build Thread:
Unread 11-02-2009, 07:51 PM   #132
Jakeman17
1988 MJ Comanche 

sounds like water pump
Unread 11-02-2009, 07:54 PM   #133
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks JK.... I'll think about knocking all of that out. I'll let you know what I end up doing. Fingers crossed it's the pump.

Oh, and I'm going to replace the radiator hoses as well. I took the upper one off tonight to check it out and it "crunched" when I squeezed it. The hose seems fine itself, but something inside crunched.

Unread 11-02-2009, 08:58 PM   #134
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Thanks JK.... I'll think about knocking all of that out. I'll let you know what I end up doing. Fingers crossed it's the pump.

Oh, and I'm going to replace the radiator hoses as well. I took the upper one off tonight to check it out and it "crunched" when I squeezed it. The hose seems fine itself, but something inside crunched.
Sounds like a plan. Its just a good idea to replace parts while you can. Its a lot easier to replace things like the thermostat, hoses and fan clutch while your doing the pump, instead of having to go back and do it during the summer. Good luck

Build Thread:
Unread 11-03-2009, 05:46 AM   #135
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

thanks man... the motorcycle got me to work alright this morning. A little cold.....but at least I got here.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.