$300 '92 Beater Build - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > $300 '92 Beater Build

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-27-2009, 03:21 PM   #106
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

hey thanks for trying though .....hahahahah

WELL... I found that the one of the fuel injector connectors is missing the little clippy do to hold it on, so I just reseated it. Then I noticed that the center post on the distributer was a bit corroded, so I cleaned it. Then I started up the HEEP andddddd......

So, I was able to take a deep breath and relax about my knock, because the engine didn't sound half bad

THEEEEENNNN.....

if came back after I messed with stuff some more

I also noticed the exhaust smoking after it was even warmed up. Check out on the driveway... Those marks are from the exhaust. CRAP... what does THAT mean?

AAAANNNNNDDDDD....one more thing. This ceramic ground thingy on the driver's side under the hood was F'N SMOKING... what the HELL!!!! I'm not sure if you'll be able to see it in the vid or not.

Help me out here guys. Pick a problem....any problem

koolaid5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2009, 03:25 PM   #107
Element96x
1995 XJ Cherokee 

yeah teh clippy thing is whats broken on mine lol. pita cause it keeps coming off -.-

4.56 Yukon Gears, Lockright Locker, Pacesetter Headers, Hi-flow cat, Flowmaster 40, 7.5 inch RE LA lift, 35' MTZ's, Tons of other mods.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...81/index5.html
Element96x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2009, 03:26 PM   #108
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

mine is the 2nd in from the back of the engine. So, you get the knock too then when it's loose?
Unread 10-27-2009, 03:27 PM   #109
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

oh, yeah....and when I reseated the connector the CEL did go off, so at least I know that's all that was about.
Unread 10-27-2009, 03:28 PM   #110
Element96x
1995 XJ Cherokee 

no knock lol. just the cel and it runs like poop

4.56 Yukon Gears, Lockright Locker, Pacesetter Headers, Hi-flow cat, Flowmaster 40, 7.5 inch RE LA lift, 35' MTZ's, Tons of other mods.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...81/index5.html
Element96x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2009, 06:07 PM   #111
Jeep450r
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I would try to fix the knock as soon as possible. Yeah you can drive it like it is.... but more bad could come of it. I have a friend who has a knock in he F-350 diesel. He drove with it for a few years before he tore it down to rebuild it. He ended up having a shattered piston, warped head, blown head gasket, and the piston sleeve was shove up into the head.... Id say you should get to the bottom of this problem asap.
Jeep450r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2009, 06:40 PM   #112
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

would a bad injector cause a knock?
Unread 11-02-2009, 08:18 AM   #113
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Gave the HEEP a tune up. Replaced the distributer cap/rotor, spark plugs (NGK), and plug wires. When I took the plugs out I was shocked at how HORRIBLY bad they were....

Is that just from them being old or can you what?

I also changed the oil and put in mobile 1 10w40 synthetic along with Lucas oil stabilizer. After all of that the HEEP is running GREAT!!!! There is no more shudder or vibe at any RPM. It idles SOOOO much smoother. I no longer have to shift it into Neutral while sitting at lights in order to keep kill the vibrations. That was the best $$ I spent on the HEEP so far.

NOW I still need to get the oil pressure figured out. It is still up around 30-35psi when cold, but after warming up it drops down to 0-5psi when sitting at idle. That's when the TAP-TA-TAP-TAP "knock" shows up in the top part of the engine. It's a lot quieter after the tune-up and oil change, but it's still there. It's only there at idle when the pressure drops. Then after I accelerate and it gets above 1200 rpms the pressure goes back up and the noise is gone.
Unread 11-02-2009, 10:46 AM   #114
Wiskey
1991 XJ Cherokee 

I would guess the tap tap tap is from a valve lifter that's stuck and not pumping up all the way - it happens with hydrolic lifters sometimes.

The exhaust,.. that is a little scary - My main questions are "was the oil white and milky?" and "Does the coolent level go down as you drive it?"

It could just be doing that because it's cold out - lots of cars with long exaust do - the water vapor that's created in combustion condenses into steam before it leaves the tail pipe. However it could also be a head gasket.

How hot is that ceramic resistor getting? It should get a little hot,.. but not too terrible.

My plugs looked the same way - someone didn't replace them in a long time.

Whiskey
Unread 11-02-2009, 10:54 AM   #115
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks Wiskey....

The ceramic thing was SMOKING and very hot to the touch.

I just started watching the coolant and I think it IS going down. It was full the other day and after a bit of driving it's almost down to the ADD level. SO, it's not going down SUPER fast, but still going down.

The oil was BLACK black. I just had it changed less than 300 miles ago and didn't think it was going to be that dirty. It wasn't milky at all though. The coolant on the other hand.....it looks a bit brown and milky under the cap. I need to do a radiator flush, but didn't get to it yesterday.

with the "tapping"... if it was a stuck lifter wouldn't it do it all the time and not just after the engine is warmed up and the oil pressure is showing low?
Unread 11-02-2009, 11:10 AM   #116
dead2rollin
1996 XJ Cherokee 

hey man... im in thesame boat wit a 400 dollar heep... i have a whole list of issues like bad wheel bearings, no exhaust, lifter tap, oil pan leak, etc lol... but the plus side is its lifted n has 31s... gl with urs, mine has been a bit of a hand full
dead2rollin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2009, 11:14 AM   #117
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

well, I'm picking up my 4.5" RC lift, brand new still in the box, for $300 tomorrow. I was going to run out and get it today, but I'm being lazy. Since it's really close to my work I'll just slip out and pick it up while I'm at work tomorrow. Now I just need some 31-33" tires to go with it.

So far with mine I seem to have handled all the issues (exhaust, leaks, electrical issues....) for the most part, but with this one popping up I'm a bit worried. An engine swap isn't exactly in the budget.
Unread 11-02-2009, 12:14 PM   #118
dead2rollin
1996 XJ Cherokee 

yeah... im prob gona go wit the exhaust parts u found with summit... i got $300 + quotes to get mine done... i have the 31s on now n a set of 32" TSLs minus one sitting in the back.... waiting 4 a chance to hit up the local jy to see if i can find any good deals...
dead2rollin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2009, 12:18 PM   #119
Luke94XJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

way to go koolaid, I was thinking... umm... trail rig, sounds like that's the plan eh? since you don't care too much about her, aal is fine. She'll be a great trail rig!
Luke94XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2009, 12:35 PM   #120
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead2rollin View Post
yeah... im prob gona go wit the exhaust parts u found with summit... i got $300 + quotes to get mine done... i have the 31s on now n a set of 32" TSLs minus one sitting in the back.... waiting 4 a chance to hit up the local jy to see if i can find any good deals...
Yeah, I was about to pull the trigger on that stuff from Summit, before I checked a small local shop that hooked me up for $250. After crawling around underneath and taking a better look at the header though.... that's going to eventually need replaced. It's a bit banged up, which probably occurred when the front drive shaft fell off for the PO.

Any chance you want to give up one of those sets of wheels? I'd love the 32's, but will settle for 31's.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.