$300 '92 Beater Build - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > $300 '92 Beater Build

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Reply
Unread 10-12-2009, 07:28 AM   #76
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!
 
koolaid5's Avatar
1992 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chambersburg, PA
Posts: 5,865
oh, yeah, I haven't gotten to that or even the whole other side yet. That will all be done today. Actually last night I was a bit drunk and at the car wash down the street trying to shampoo the carpets again and I got a wild hair up my *** and decided to rip off the black plastic pieces at the bottom of the doors.....whatever they're called. I'm not exactly sure why, but I did.... Now today I have to clean off all of the adhesive that was holding them on. I think it's going to look better though

The endcaps..... You can take off the stock ones on Wranglers and put flat caps on. Is there anything like that for XJ's. I haven't searched the subject yet, but I don't like them and just want to rip those off as well.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trons View Post
I've only been a Jeep owner a few weeks, but I'm finding that a Jeep is a lot like a woman. They clean up nice, but they're more fun when they're dirty...
Condensed $300 Beater Build Thread - Updates Only - No Chit Chat

Original $300 Beater Build Thread - Please use this for comments
koolaid5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2009, 05:16 PM   #77
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!
 
koolaid5's Avatar
1992 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chambersburg, PA
Posts: 5,865
OK, I was cleaning off all of the adhesive from the lower parts of the doors and I really like the look of it all silver like that BUUUUT..... The paint is not perfect and there is a small rust spot. I think that I am going to take care of that tiny rust spot, sand it all a bit, and then spray it all with a rattle can bed liner for now. I'd like to spray it with U-POL Raptor and probably will eventually, but rattle will have to do for now.

What do you guys think? and I really want to get rid of the ugly bumper end caps, but not crazy about how it looks without them. I just want a flat cap to cover the end like they have for Wrangler's. No one has anything like that? What I'd REALLY like are new bumpers and a rear one with a swing out carrier, but that's not in the budget.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trons View Post
I've only been a Jeep owner a few weeks, but I'm finding that a Jeep is a lot like a woman. They clean up nice, but they're more fun when they're dirty...
Condensed $300 Beater Build Thread - Updates Only - No Chit Chat

Original $300 Beater Build Thread - Please use this for comments
koolaid5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2009, 05:24 PM   #78
jay1335
Registered User
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: new york
Posts: 404
That adhesive sucks to clean off huh? I rattle canned mine with duplicolor bedliner. I know it doesnt get the best reputation but it looks good and has held up fine for me so far. I think as long as you prep properly you should have no problem. Here are the pics of my job...


I also hear you on those ugly end caps. I just tore em off and ran my stock bumpers without em for awhile. Didnt look too bad. Plus I did my fender trim too so I think that helped the look.
jay1335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2009, 05:30 PM   #79
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!
 
koolaid5's Avatar
1992 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chambersburg, PA
Posts: 5,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay1335 View Post
That adhesive sucks to clean off huh? I rattle canned mine with duplicolor bedliner. I know it doesnt get the best reputation but it looks good and has held up fine for me so far. I think as long as you prep properly you should have no problem. Here are the pics of my job...


I also hear you on those ugly end caps. I just tore em off and ran my stock bumpers without em for awhile. Didnt look too bad. Plus I did my fender trim too so I think that helped the look.
Can you email me some better pics of your rig with the bedliner dealio matthew.smith5@gmail.com
That's exactly what I was going to use since I already have some sitting in the shed. If I ever get Raptor again for another job I'll hit 'em up with it as well. Looks like my carpet is going to be salvageable, so no reason to pull it out and Raptor the inside afterall.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trons View Post
I've only been a Jeep owner a few weeks, but I'm finding that a Jeep is a lot like a woman. They clean up nice, but they're more fun when they're dirty...
Condensed $300 Beater Build Thread - Updates Only - No Chit Chat

Original $300 Beater Build Thread - Please use this for comments
koolaid5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2009, 05:42 PM   #80
Nj-Xj
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by koolaid5 View Post
oh, yeah, I haven't gotten to that or even the whole other side yet. That will all be done today. Actually last night I was a bit drunk and at the car wash down the street trying to shampoo the carpets again and I got a wild hair up my *** and decided to rip off the black plastic pieces at the bottom of the doors.....whatever they're called. I'm not exactly sure why, but I did.... Now today I have to clean off all of the adhesive that was holding them on. I think it's going to look better though

The endcaps..... You can take off the stock ones on Wranglers and put flat caps on. Is there anything like that for XJ's. I haven't searched the subject yet, but I don't like them and just want to rip those off as well.
Driving drunk.........CLASSIC!!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinit87 View Post
i got 12in and is my dd and handles like my lowered civic. one on 10.50s might be tippy i got 12in wheels and 15.50s
Orange 98' XJ- 4.5" lift, 33 M/Ts, Doorless, custom front bumper
I have 3 spare 32" BFG KM M/Ts- Hit me up if you need one.
Nj-Xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2009, 06:36 PM   #81
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!
 
koolaid5's Avatar
1992 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chambersburg, PA
Posts: 5,865
not DRUNK... I mean I had a few beers while watching the game and the car wash is literally 50 yards from the end of my development. I had been drinking during the 1 o'clock games (Philly) earlier, but wasn't at the car wash until like 8.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trons View Post
I've only been a Jeep owner a few weeks, but I'm finding that a Jeep is a lot like a woman. They clean up nice, but they're more fun when they're dirty...
Condensed $300 Beater Build Thread - Updates Only - No Chit Chat

Original $300 Beater Build Thread - Please use this for comments
koolaid5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2009, 06:59 PM   #82
Kettles
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Posts: 4,178
You could get some 97+ endcaps if you like the look better, and then trim your fender so they fit.
__________________
_=====o000o
//__l_l_,\____\,____
l_--\_l__l_/--|lllll|
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
"Dee", a Patriot Blue 2001 Cherokee Sport 4.0L High-Output Pictures Build Thread
The Rocket Sheep
"Live Free Or Die; Death Is Not The Worst of Evils." -General John Stark
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
perfect depends on how far away you are when you look at it:D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
It's a 4.0 ... as long as there's something in the crank case that isn't coolant I'm sure it will still run forever.
Kettles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2009, 07:01 PM   #83
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!
 
koolaid5's Avatar
1992 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chambersburg, PA
Posts: 5,865
I don't want anything sticking out. I just want a flat piece covering up the end
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trons View Post
I've only been a Jeep owner a few weeks, but I'm finding that a Jeep is a lot like a woman. They clean up nice, but they're more fun when they're dirty...
Condensed $300 Beater Build Thread - Updates Only - No Chit Chat

Original $300 Beater Build Thread - Please use this for comments
koolaid5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2009, 07:11 PM   #84
Kettles
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Posts: 4,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by koolaid5 View Post
I don't want anything sticking out. I just want a flat piece covering up the end
Well then you would need to get custom I imagine. Never seen any aftermarket end caps of any kind. Alot of people remove the caps and then cut the ends at an angle. Looks better than a end-capless bumper to me.
__________________
_=====o000o
//__l_l_,\____\,____
l_--\_l__l_/--|lllll|
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
"Dee", a Patriot Blue 2001 Cherokee Sport 4.0L High-Output Pictures Build Thread
The Rocket Sheep
"Live Free Or Die; Death Is Not The Worst of Evils." -General John Stark
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
perfect depends on how far away you are when you look at it:D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
It's a 4.0 ... as long as there's something in the crank case that isn't coolant I'm sure it will still run forever.
Kettles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2009, 07:43 PM   #85
Nj-Xj
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by koolaid5 View Post
not DRUNK... I mean I had a few beers while watching the game and the car wash is literally 50 yards from the end of my development. I had been drinking during the 1 o'clock games (Philly) earlier, but wasn't at the car wash until like 8.
I know LOL I just wanted to throw that quote in there.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinit87 View Post
i got 12in and is my dd and handles like my lowered civic. one on 10.50s might be tippy i got 12in wheels and 15.50s
Orange 98' XJ- 4.5" lift, 33 M/Ts, Doorless, custom front bumper
I have 3 spare 32" BFG KM M/Ts- Hit me up if you need one.
Nj-Xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2009, 10:52 AM   #86
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!
 
koolaid5's Avatar
1992 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chambersburg, PA
Posts: 5,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettles View Post
Well then you would need to get custom I imagine. Never seen any aftermarket end caps of any kind. Alot of people remove the caps and then cut the ends at an angle. Looks better than a end-capless bumper to me.
That sounds like a good idea right there.... Probably what I'll do.

I'm looking at picking up another XJ as well. What do you guys think about this one? A guy and his son have been working on it for a few months, but the kid just got a job that keeps him on the road 3 weeks a month and they just want to sell it. New Throttle body and tps, flowmaster duel exhaust, 4" lift sitting on 33's.....no problems whatsoever and I got him to agree to $2k. I'm going to take off of work to go up and look at it tomorrow. It's about 80 miles from me.

96 Jeep Cherokee

and since I'm posting this none of you f'ers are allowed to steal my deal... that just wouldn't be nice
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trons View Post
I've only been a Jeep owner a few weeks, but I'm finding that a Jeep is a lot like a woman. They clean up nice, but they're more fun when they're dirty...
Condensed $300 Beater Build Thread - Updates Only - No Chit Chat

Original $300 Beater Build Thread - Please use this for comments
koolaid5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2009, 01:08 AM   #87
Wiskey
Registered User
1991 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Marcos CA
Posts: 487
Nice looking jeep! Lot of miles though,.. look it over carefully is my best advice

Whiskey
Wiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2009, 07:45 AM   #88
WashbardBand
Registered User
1994 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Mass
Posts: 175
a little pricey I think 226k is quite high too pay 2000
WashbardBand is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2009, 09:43 AM   #89
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!
 
koolaid5's Avatar
1992 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chambersburg, PA
Posts: 5,865
yeah, I was in the car with the directions to go and look at it and then I decided not to go. If it is still up for grabs next week I might offer $1500.... we'll see.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trons View Post
I've only been a Jeep owner a few weeks, but I'm finding that a Jeep is a lot like a woman. They clean up nice, but they're more fun when they're dirty...
Condensed $300 Beater Build Thread - Updates Only - No Chit Chat

Original $300 Beater Build Thread - Please use this for comments
koolaid5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2009, 10:17 PM   #90
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!
 
koolaid5's Avatar
1992 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chambersburg, PA
Posts: 5,865
Instead of going to see that other XJ today I hit up the bottoms of my doors with Rustoleum bed liner. Not too shabby. I still have to do the passenger's side flares with krylon fusion as well as the bumpers and end caps. I'm not sure if I'm doing the bumpers with krylon or the bed liner yet.... leaning towards krylon to match the flares. It has a slight gloss to it while the bed liner is dull. I'll post pics in a few days.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trons View Post
I've only been a Jeep owner a few weeks, but I'm finding that a Jeep is a lot like a woman. They clean up nice, but they're more fun when they're dirty...
Condensed $300 Beater Build Thread - Updates Only - No Chit Chat

Original $300 Beater Build Thread - Please use this for comments
koolaid5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.