$300 '92 Beater Build - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > $300 '92 Beater Build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 09-29-2009, 08:31 PM   #16
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

That would be something i havent seen before....DO IT!!!!

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2009, 08:31 PM   #17
Kettles
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I know how to fill the sunroof hole, its easy and probably mostly free. You already have the parts lol.
Here it is:
Put the sunroof back in!
Just seal it properly. and I guess if you don't like it hanging down, then you could take it apart and just install the glass back in, so it doesn't open like a moon roof.
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
"Dee", a Patriot Blue 2001 Cherokee Sport 4.0L High-Output Pictures Build Thread
The Rocket Sheep
"Live Free Or Die; Death Is Not The Worst of Evils." -General John Stark
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
perfect depends on how far away you are when you look at it:D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
It's a 4.0 ... as long as there's something in the crank case that isn't coolant I'm sure it will still run forever.
Kettles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2009, 08:40 PM   #18
Apostle
2013 JK Wrangler 

definately a project, got some rust in the floor there.

would find something else and use that as a parts car

[CENTER]You'll get over it[/CENTER]

[SIZE="1"]"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”
–Voltaire[/SIZE]
Apostle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2009, 11:44 PM   #19
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettles View Post
I guess if you don't like it hanging down, then you could take it apart and just install the glass back in, so it doesn't open like a moon roof.
I believe that I said I was leaning towards doing just that All this sunroof was doing was tilt. I'm not sure if it was supposed to slide or not.... it wasn't though. Either way... I know I wouldn't use the sunroof anyway, so why put it back in? I'd rather have the roof look cleaner. Moon roof it is
koolaid5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2009, 11:45 PM   #20
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostle View Post
definately a project, got some rust in the floor there.

would find something else and use that as a parts car
What the hell is on this HEAP that is worth putting on another Jeep??? Nope... I'll if I can get this running right I'm going to drive it until it falls apart. If I can't get it running right it will be parted out to hopefully at least break even.
Unread 09-30-2009, 12:10 AM   #21
D-BOI
2001 XJ Cherokee 

i was in the same dilema as you man, just go to the junkyard and find a pop up thats what i did after 3 hours of walking around i found the perfect one and i bought a new headliner and it worked out great, will have some pics for you tomorrow but doing a pop up is awesome. and trust me some light coming thru is awesome.
D-BOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2009, 12:19 AM   #22
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-BOI View Post
i was in the same dilema as you man, just go to the junkyard and find a pop up thats what i did after 3 hours of walking around i found the perfect one and i bought a new headliner and it worked out great, will have some pics for you tomorrow but doing a pop up is awesome. and trust me some light coming thru is awesome.
Yeah, but my sunroof works Just not sure I want it. Well, it pops up.....I didn't see how it slides back and didn't bother messing with it to try. I think I'm just going to slap the glass in there as a "moonroof" I don't know yet though. That's just cosmetics and getting it running right is first priority.

Last edited by koolaid5; 09-30-2009 at 10:22 AM..
Unread 09-30-2009, 10:32 AM   #23
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

OK....we're cookin with Crisco now

I swung by a local muffler shop real quick today to get him to check out my exhaust and maybe get a quote.

As soon as I pulled it in he said "Well, you CAT is ****. You're going to need a new one of those. I can have you out of here with everything done for $275"

To which I replied....."huh" and he scratched his head and immediatley said "Make that $250 and we'll get 'er taken care of."

ME: Well, when can you get it done
MUFFLER DUDE: When do you WANT it done
ME: Uh, now is good
MUFFLER DUDE: Alright pull 'er on in

an hour and a half later and not only did they toss a new muccler and CAT on there for me, but the guys were awesome and welded my door hinge up for FREE! They definitely scored a repeat customer today. I even asked them if they did that sort of a thing up front and they told me no. I stepped out of the shop to call my wife and 2 min later when I walked back in they had brought it down off the lift, jacked the door up, and were tacking it in place

So....here are the pics.

Might not be purty, but it isn't falling off anymore

Hanging there all by itself....aaaahhh....they grow up so fast

and the new pipeage...

Best part about all of this other than the fact that I was out of there in an hour and a half for a grand total of $250 when I thought I was just going to get an overpriced quote..........is the fact that my busted up CAT is what was causing the restriction and now it has GOBS of power and is running like a beast Well, as much as a '92 XJ can anyway.

Next on the list is the starter. After that is done we'll move on to cosmetics. Total Cost so far with the HEEP, Pipeage, and starter = $580

Last edited by koolaid5; 11-16-2009 at 07:56 PM..
Unread 09-30-2009, 11:22 AM   #24
cbordea
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I was going to tell you that your Cat might be your power issue.
Also, many times a good muffler shop can hook you up cheaper than you can get the parts.
I was looking for a muffler for my pickup one time and seems it was going to cost me $100 to get from the parts store but the muffler guy installed a new one for like $50 or $75 or something. it was unreal. now this was 20 yrs ago but I expect it is the same for easy work for them.
cbordea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2009, 11:40 AM   #25
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

I know I was amazed. I priced all the parts for like $250 shipped to my house and I walk out of there a little over an hour after I stop by and paid $250 for the whole shebang AND my door welded. I stopped by another shop yesterday to see about the door being welded and he gave me a ballpark of $75 just for THAT. I'm feeling pretty good about my $300 beater buy right about now I just got done hitting it up with the vacuum for about half an hour too. Now off to pay the Muffler guy ( I didn't have my checkbook and he just said... "eh, I trust ya. Come back after lunch and pay me"....what a good guy) and hit up Walmart for some cleaner to try and clean the stinkin foosty carpeting/seats.
Unread 09-30-2009, 07:05 PM   #26
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Ok....add another problem to the list When I turned the lights on tonight the f'n buzzer (like the seat belt warning buzzer) goes off CONSTANTLY. That along with the Speedo not working and the blower not working.... ugh... sorting the electrial crap out is going to be some fun

Does anyone have a color wiring diagram to help me out?
Unread 09-30-2009, 07:10 PM   #27
D-BOI
2001 XJ Cherokee 

hey i posted pics of the pop up on my jeep thread page just click below and you can see them.
Unread 09-30-2009, 07:32 PM   #28
cornbrizzle
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolaid5 View Post
Ok....add another problem to the list When I turned the lights on tonight the f'n buzzer (like the seat belt warning buzzer) goes off CONSTANTLY. That along with the Speedo not working and the blower not working.... ugh... sorting the electrial crap out is going to be some fun

Does anyone have a color wiring diagram to help me out?
Jeep *Cherokee*1991 -1993 Printer Friendly Wiring Chart

here you go

Brizzle

www.highsprings.com
cornbrizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2009, 07:53 PM   #29
theonlyraphael
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Congrats on the Jeep, it's looking much better already. Hey, mine was $300, too.
Unread 09-30-2009, 08:16 PM   #30
D-BOI
2001 XJ Cherokee 

lol i just spent $300 on a cd player $120 on an amp $30 on a amp wiring kit $15 on a dash kit and $10 on a wiring harness. oh and 13 bucks on speaker wire. in this economy i should slap myself 38 times for wasting money

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.