$300 '92 Beater Build - Page 107 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > $300 '92 Beater Build

Save big with ExtremeTerrain.com's Top Spring Mods Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Restorations, Mild to Wild! CCOR

Unread 01-07-2013, 08:57 PM   #1591
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerzap View Post
Doo it! I love this thread but its too long.

How did you find this thing for $300!?
Agreed.... I've been meaning to consolidate it for a long time now. I know it is too long, but I also enjoyed all the BS'ing. It was entertaining at the time even though it makes it horrible to try and go back through it now and find anything. I'll work on the laptop tomorrow night at work and maybe get the new thread up and running this weekend.

Stay tuned....

Oh, and I found it for $500 on CL. I talked the lady down to $300, because it was a POS! It had all kinds of issues when I first bought it. She had picked it up at auction for like $500 and used it as her DD for 2-3 years, so she didn't really lose out on the deal. Some day I'd like to get a newer one and swap all of my goodies over to it, but the HEEP will have to do for awhile yet.

Condensed $300 Beater Build Thread - Updates Only - No Chit Chat

Original $300 Beater Build Thread - Please use this for comments
koolaid5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2013, 09:02 PM   #1592
Tylerzap
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Dang you got a great deal! NC is where all the cheap XJs are. Mine is lifted, M/T tires, aftermarket stereo, and really good condition.

$750.

I now have a little over $1000 in mine.

Sucks you moved. No more Uwharrie...

1988 Jeep Comanche 4x4 Longbed - POS
Tylerzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2013, 09:21 PM   #1593
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

WOW! and I thought I got a good deal with my POS, beat up, stock XJ for $300. Sounds like you made out pretty well. I actually plan on heading down to URE sometime this year to meet up with a few friends. I took my TJ there once, but I went by myself and never saw another vehicle on the trails at all, so I stuck to the easy ones and didn't try anything crazy (fun). It was just me and my son, who was 8 at the time. The XJ never made it up there.

Unread 01-08-2013, 09:51 AM   #1594
KG8893
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolaid5 View Post
WOW! and I thought I got a good deal with my POS, beat up, stock XJ for $300. Sounds like you made out pretty well. I actually plan on heading down to URE sometime this year to meet up with a few friends. I took my TJ there once, but I went by myself and never saw another vehicle on the trails at all, so I stuck to the easy ones and didn't try anything crazy (fun). It was just me and my son, who was 8 at the time. The XJ never made it up there.
Man I'm lucky to find any vehicle for under 500 and usually they are missing fairly important stuff, like engines. I keep trying to find a good parts vehicle to steal bumpers and spare axles and a motor off but there's not much around here.
Built Not Bought #666
KG8893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 07:34 PM   #1595
jesse12296
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Your jeep build is Very nice!! I skipped around a little bit cause there was just so much stuff lol. You really need a table of contents like you said at the beginning!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/1994-jeep-cherokee-slow-highschool-build-1398809/
jesse12296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2013, 01:56 AM   #1596
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

I got my LED tail/brake lights and signals hooked up to check them out and make sure they are going to work when I get my tailight boxes/rear quarter panel armor installed.

Well, the brake lights and signals work with no issues, but when I turn the headlights on the LED's just flash once instead of the tailights staying on. . . Any ideas?

Unread 01-11-2013, 08:04 AM   #1597
Tylerzap
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Not sure. Post pics. Now.

And post some random pics of your XJ... ya know... just because....

Unread 01-11-2013, 04:01 PM   #1598
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Nothing to really post. I just temporarily wired up the lights and have them dangling there. I was just checking to see if they worked, so that when I get the hardware in for my armor I can slap them in, slap the armor on, and solder them in permanently.

Unread 01-11-2013, 10:12 PM   #1599
KG8893
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I got my LED tail/brake lights and signals hooked up to check them out and make sure they are going to work when I get my tailight boxes/rear quarter panel armor installed.

Well, the brake lights and signals work with no issues, but when I turn the headlights on the LED's just flash once instead of the tailights staying on. . . Any ideas?
Bad relays or you may have too much power going to those LEDs. Unlikely, but I had the same issue when I put a LED brake/tail lamp on my ATV. I ended up just saying **** it and wired it into the tail circuit.

Do you have dual brightness bulbs? you may have reversed brake and tail. The chinese people who made them may have labeled wrong. Mine didn't even have the same color wires as in the instruction sheet.

If the tail lights are on a breaker and not a fuse (which I think they may be...) and you do have the tail and brake lights backwards, then when you turn the lights on the brake bulbs glow which draws more power than the breaker allows which trips it.

why did I say so much bull**** just to get to that one sentence.
Built Not Bought #666
Unread 01-11-2013, 10:42 PM   #1600
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

This is exactly what I picked up....

http://www.tractorsupply.com/blazer-...signal-1683110

http://www.tractorsupply.com/blazer-...-amber-1600049

They say they are tail/brake/turn signal lights. I thought I was going to need one of those trailer converters to get the signals to work, but after hooking them up and seeing I DIDN'T..... I'm wishing the 2" round lights were white, so that I could use them as reverse lights. No big deal though. I'll just put reverse lights in the after market bumper I don't have yet and keep the amber lights as the signal lights.

The brake lights only have 3 wires. One for the signals, one for the brake/tail lights, and ground, so not sure what you mean by having the tail/brake lights backwards. I just took the two wires from the Jeep (one tail and one brake) and hooked them up to the single wire on the LED light. Maybe this is where I'm jacked up? Not sure how else to do it though.

I'm not sure about the fuse/breaker. I'm at work all night, but when I get home I'll check out the wiring diagram.

Unread 01-11-2013, 11:28 PM   #1601
KG8893
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
This is exactly what I picked up....

http://www.tractorsupply.com/blazer-...signal-1683110

http://www.tractorsupply.com/blazer-...-amber-1600049

They say they are tail/brake/turn signal lights. I thought I was going to need one of those trailer converters to get the signals to work, but after hooking them up and seeing I DIDN'T..... I'm wishing the 2" round lights were white, so that I could use them as reverse lights. No big deal though. I'll just put reverse lights in the after market bumper I don't have yet and keep the amber lights as the signal lights.

The brake lights only have 3 wires. One for the signals, one for the brake/tail lights, and ground, so not sure what you mean by having the tail/brake lights backwards. I just took the two wires from the Jeep (one tail and one brake) and hooked them up to the single wire on the LED light. Maybe this is where I'm jacked up? Not sure how else to do it though.

I'm not sure about the fuse/breaker. I'm at work all night, but when I get home I'll check out the wiring diagram.
A circuit breaker in a car is the same as one in your home but they automatically reset themselves. If too much current goes through them then they stop the flow of electricity. If you do have breakers then the wiring is definitely where you goofed. regardless I think it's what you did but I dunno if I understand your problem correctly I'm very tired.

Since you have the tail lights and brake lights coming into the same input they are both trying to work at once. It might be getting back-feed or if you have them both hooked to the "brake" in then it is drawing too much current for the tail circuit. Hook the brake to the "signal" in and the tail light wire on the jeep to the "tail" in. The Jeeps signal and tail/brake lamps are separate so the trailer adapter would be if you were trying to only have 2 lights for everything (like old pickup trucks).

Take the new lamp off and put it right onto the battery. ground the ground and connect the other 2 wires one at a time. There should be brake/signal (makes it really bright) and the other should be tail (makes it light up but dim). you don't need to worry about signal since you have the amber bulbs. Hook the one that makes it bright to the brake output from the Jeep, and hook the one that makes it dim to the tail light output from the Jeep. Hook the Jeep's signal wire into the signal in on the amber bulb.

I think I may have just written absolutely nothing helpful again
Built Not Bought #666
Unread 01-11-2013, 11:37 PM   #1602
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

NOPE! Amazingly enough I followed every word of that and I was brainstorming with guys at work and figured out the exact same solution. I was a ******* for hooking up the brake and tail light wires from the Jeep to the same wire on the LED light. Turn and brake should be hooked up to the same and tail should be alone. If I'm still getting back-feed issues after switching this I'll toss in a diode that I'm grabbing from work to fix the issue. Stay tuned. I'll try to get this figured out tomorrow before coming to work.

Unread 01-11-2013, 11:38 PM   #1603
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

and thanks for your help, by the way. Very much appreciated.

Unread 01-11-2013, 11:40 PM   #1604
Tylerzap
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Pics. Now. Of the Jeep. Please.

And i cant remember if you have flares or not... do you?

Unread 01-11-2013, 11:51 PM   #1605
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

I'm at work and it is 1:44am. No chance of pics now and I really haven't been doing anything to take pics OF, so just be patient. When I get my rear armor/tail light boxes installed with LED lights I'll snap a few and post them. I will also be installing my T&T rock sliders soon as well.

No, I am currently flareless, but I picked up the bent tube from jeeptubes.com to make some tube flares, so that I will be legal in PA. After I get the armor on I'll think about moving on to that project. Once that is done and I get that front driver's side caliper freed up, and rear shock mounts redone I should be just about ready to get this thing inspected and on the road.

This past week I rented a storage unit to help get all my CRAP out of the garage, so that I have more room to work, so that is taking up too much time right now. I'm trying to clear up room for my wife to park her van in the one stall, kids bikes and crap in the middle, and then the Jeep and my projects in the far stall. Using tool benches to section my space off a bit from everyone else.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.