2WD XJ Towing Methods - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > 2WD XJ Towing Methods

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 06-21-2013, 09:20 PM   #1
TABonifacio
1995 XJ Cherokee 

2WD XJ Towing Methods

Hi Guys,

I'm moving in September and Tripple A is giving me a hassle about towing. Can a 2-Wheel Drive Cherokee be towed from the rear with a traditional style "Hook" tow truck? I keep trying to explain I've always had it towed by flat-bed. Just don't want the differential or something to be ruined when they tow it. It's only going 8 Miles to it's new destination but I don't want to take a chance in driving it that far with expired tags. Thanks for any input...I did some research and I couldn't find any topics for what I am looking for. My friends Escape was towed by a hook tow truck from the back and it was 4WD...Maybe I'm thinking of something else but I always thought you couldn't tow SUV's from the rear. IDK...Lol...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/95-xj-se-1513890/
TABonifacio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2013, 11:03 PM   #2
chris87xj

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Bump for more thoughts, but offhand I don't see how towing a 2WD XJ with the rear axle off the ground would hurt it.
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2013, 11:23 PM   #3
TABonifacio
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks Chris87xj...Call me paranoid but I don't need ANOTHER repair on top of what I have right now! Lmao!

Unread 06-22-2013, 11:36 AM   #4
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

If the rear axle is off the ground there's no problem. If you're that worried about it, just have it towed on a regular flat bed. Shouldn't cost more than $50-60 over that short a distance.
Unread 06-23-2013, 02:14 AM   #5
Muddy97Cherokee

1997 XJ Cherokee 

8 miles and your worried about expired tags? If you just so happen to get pulled over tell the officer that you are moving it and let him follow you. Unless he is some prick cop. Your jeep is only 2wd so I wouldn't worry about it since you don't have a transfer case. If you are that worried about it pull out the driveshaft.
BUILD THREAD

-ZACK
Muddy97Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 09:55 AM   #6
chris87xj

1987 XJ Cherokee 

I'm gonna guess that no insurance goes hand in hand with expired tags, but involves a lot more risk.
Unread 06-23-2013, 07:33 PM   #7
austin6137
Web Wheeler

1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy97Cherokee View Post
8 miles and your worried about expired tags? If you just so happen to get pulled over tell the officer that you are moving it and let him follow you. Unless he is some prick cop. Your jeep is only 2wd so I wouldn't worry about it since you don't have a transfer case. If you are that worried about it pull out the driveshaft.
Around here the cop will take your plate, and you'll lose your license
90 - xj laredo- 4.5" rough country lift, 6.5" of total lift with drop brackets, zj disc brakes on c8.25, olympic winch bumper, jcr upper and lower quarter armor, IRO hack-n-tap and rock sliders and rear bumper. rugged ridge 8500lb winch. Spartan locker up front. With a jd yellow paint job, 97+ front end and bushwacker cut out flares. 35's
austin6137 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 07:40 PM   #8
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin6137 View Post
Around here the cop will take your plate, and you'll lose your license
Outside of CA, MA, NJ, and NY most the country isn't nearly as strict on automotive laws as PA.
Unread 06-23-2013, 07:53 PM   #9
Muddy97Cherokee

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Maybe it's just a Oklahoma thing. When I bought my jeep it had a year over due tag and no insurance since I had just bought it. Drove it 200 miles to get it home then to the tag agency and insurance the next day. Had regular officers, county sheriff's, highway patrol and federal police drive right past me, as well as me driving past them, and never got pulled over.
BUILD THREAD

-ZACK
Unread 06-23-2013, 08:13 PM   #10
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy97Cherokee View Post
Maybe it's just a Oklahoma thing. When I bought my jeep it had a year over due tag and no insurance since I had just bought it. Drove it 200 miles to get it home then to the tag agency and insurance the next day. Had regular officers, county sheriff's, highway patrol and federal police drive right past me, as well as me driving past them, and never got pulled over.
They probably just didn't notice. Unless they're looking out for it to meet quotas or just happen end up behind or in front of you where they can see it obviously isn't usually not an issue.

Definitely not legal but I've bought plenty of vehicles and driven them straight home on expired inspections, tags, other peoples tags, ect without any problems. Odds of getting caught are low, but they are a lot higher now in a ****ty economy where cops are trying to collect more revenue and enforcing minor stuff like that a lot more. Can't blame anyone for being cautious.
Unread 06-24-2013, 08:23 AM   #11
Muddy97Cherokee

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
They probably just didn't notice. Unless they're looking out for it to meet quotas or just happen end up behind or in front of you where they can see it obviously isn't usually not an issue.

Definitely not legal but I've bought plenty of vehicles and driven them straight home on expired inspections, tags, other peoples tags, ect without any problems. Odds of getting caught are low, but they are a lot higher now in a ****ty economy where cops are trying to collect more revenue and enforcing minor stuff like that a lot more. Can't blame anyone for being cautious.
I am sure they noticed, they were driving behind me and I was passing them. But the police are pretty lenient around here. I have noticed that the small town cops in central US are all pricks.
BUILD THREAD

-ZACK
Unread 06-25-2013, 06:36 AM   #12
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Eh? I drove from Lordstown, OH back to Pittsburgh when I bought my XJ with no tag, no inspection, and no insurance papers on the interstate and didn't even get a second glance.
Built Not Bought #704

Previous:
'00 XJ 6.5 on 35" KM2s
'96 ZJ 2 on 31" Baja Claws
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 09:37 AM   #13
bobthecatkiller
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Not that inspections that big of a deal anyways but iv had a bad inspection since January and iv had cops come up to my jeep to check it out and never say anything.
Unread 06-25-2013, 02:10 PM   #14
chris87xj

1987 XJ Cherokee 

I gotta love Indiana law in these respects.
I've never had to get inspected, although I kinda wish some other peoples vehicles on the road would.
With a fresh bill of sale I can legally drive home plateless, and a quick call to my insurance agent can get me coverage to drive a newly purchased vehicle home.
However if I get in a wreck without insurance even if not my fault, anyone involved that suffers a loss can sue me for the full extent of damage, injury, and costs and I just can't afford to take that risk.
Unread 06-30-2013, 09:29 PM   #15
TABonifacio
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Thank you for your responses. Yeah I just didn't want to take that risk because if something is going to happen, it's going to happen to me. I just have really bad luck when it comes to stuff like this. But thank you everyone for sharing your stories, it makes me feel better about my 8 Mile jaunt!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.