Greetings fellow members of the JeepForum community.
Iím really disappointed in how this attempted COTY contest evolved. One of our forum moderators participated as an entrant and then abused his mod powers in an effort to cheat the rest of our COTMs out of the honors of winning and the lifetime membership prize that he canít even use.
The cheats that Iím aware of include:
1. Creating a thread on JF in his local forum section hawking for votes.
2. Blatantly soliciting votes on Facebook.
3. Soliciting votes via Instagram.
The last two of the above took place after a stern warning from me early in the poll and deletion of the JF thread that was created.
Other ethical transgressions that took place:
1. Vindictively perma-banning a couple of forum member accounts related to calling him out on his actions.
2. Attempting to cloud the issue by falsely accusing another contestant of also cheating and then using his mod powers to unjustly remove her entry and votes from the poll.
3. Re-voting in the poll after his vote for himself was removed when he was disqualified.
4. Continuing to tamper with the poll until I could no longer be sure it was valid and had to close it.
I tried to ban this rogue moderator to keep him on ice while we finished the contest but found I donít have the power to do so. I sought assistance from the forum administration asking that his mod powers be removed on grounds of the poor character exhibited, but apparently since there was no mass outcry while I tried to resolve this situation discretely, the admin has chosen to not get involved. Iíve asked that he be removed from moderatorship of the Cherokee sections because itís not fair or right to the Cherokee section members in light of whatís happened here. Sadly Iím not seeing any support.
I feel I owe it our 2013 COTMs to see this through and have a real COTY contest, but if I start another poll I have no way of ensuring its validity
; that it wonít be altered, or participants banned on the sly during the contest. It takes a lot of time to organize these contests, format all the entries similarly for fairness and monitor the polls. I canít be on here 24/7 watching for nefarious activity from fellow moderators. Itís also beyond my abilities to fix all the hacks that are possible for someone with moderator powers to enact.
Iím sorry itís come to this but Iím at a loss for where to go from here so Iíve reopened this thread seeking input and advice.
Iíve also unbanned the member accounts that were wrongly perma-banned. If you speak your mind here and then find yourself inexplicably banned from the forum, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
and I will unban your account.
Thanks for your thoughts.