2001 Jeep Cherokee RHD - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > 2001 Jeep Cherokee RHD

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 02-14-2012, 07:21 PM   #1
annienet

2001 Jeep Cherokee RHD

Just purchased a RHD Jeep in Pa and drove home with very little heat! A little cold before we got it home. Didn't notice this before I paid him for it. I hope there is a special place for used car salesmen! As I am looking at posts I am seeing posts about the blend doors. Will I have as much cold air blowing as well as some warm air if the blend door is broke? Also what else should I be looking at to be sure this is the problem? TIA

annienet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2012, 07:45 PM   #2
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Probably more of an issue for tech, but oh well, im feeling helpful.

If you arent having heat, and it is blowing cold air, check your temperature gauge. If its not pretty much in the happy middle around 195 mark, you are looking at a thermostat stuck open or possible non-existent depending on the IQ level of the previous owner.

If it is running at normal operating temperature, might want to check into flushing your heater core. Plenty of info on that topic using the search function.

I would only look into your blend doors if you can tell you are getting hot air SOMEWHERE but maybe it isnt getting to the right places. If its just blowing cold/cool-ish air then its more than likely a derivitive of the above scenarios.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2012, 10:06 AM   #3
TheAquatard

For the peace of mind, flush the coolant system, get a new thermastat and really blow out the heater core good before refilling. So much junk gets caught in there. It's a real common problem.
TheAquatard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2012, 10:49 AM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Service the cooling system, flush the heater core, and then worry about blend doors.

Use a flushing/cleaning solution and then drain and fill the radiator with a fresh 50/50 coolant and water mix. With a neglected cooling system you may have to flush several times.
-Inspect the radiator for mud/bugs/grass clogging the outside and mineral deposits clogging the inside. Clean or replace as needed.
-Replace the thermostat with a STANT or Robertshaw 195* thermostat. Cheap thermostats are cheap for a reason.
-Replace the radiator cap if your Jeep has one. An old worn out cap will allow boil overs and/or allow the coolant flash over into to steam. You will see the coolant temps suddenly jump from 210* to the Red Zone and back to 210* if your radiator cap is weak.
-Inspect/test or replace the mechanical fan clutch. A worn fan clutch will allow temperature creep at stoplights, in heavy traffic, and on the 4x4 trails. A fan clutch that “looks” OK is not the same as working OK.

-Inspect the electric cooling fan and the fan relay. Apply 12 volts and make sure the fan runs. Exchange the cooling fan relay with one of the others similar relays. Confirm that the e-fan starts when engine temps reach 215-218*. Repair or replace the fan or relay as needed.
-Inspect/test or replace the coolant temperature sensor that activates the e-fan.
-Replace the water pump. The pumping fins can deteriorate over time and the pump will not flow enough coolant to keep the temps under control.
-Inspect/replace the radiator hoses. Make sure the coiled wire is installed in the lower hose.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2012, 01:54 PM   #5
Chaseg08
2001 XJ Cherokee 

As the other guys said, flush fluids first then check your heat. It's very possible you need a new heater core. There is a great thread covering heater core replacement and there are many people here who have had to do it. Heres a link to that thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/m...thread-592844/
Chaseg08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2012, 03:14 PM   #6
annienet

Thank you all for your help! Hubby back flushed the heater core and thinks I now have heat. Next we will be checking the steering it has a little more play than I am comfortable with on the gravel. Thank you again I may be back with more questions!
annienet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.