2000 mile trip in Minnesota winter w/ baby in car. What to do to get Jeep ready? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > 2000 mile trip in Minnesota winter w/ baby in car. What to do to get Jeep ready?

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 11-12-2014, 12:22 PM   #1
sweryap
1998 XJ Cherokee 

2000 mile trip in Minnesota winter w/ baby in car. What to do to get Jeep ready?

Hi all.

I have an XJ that I think is pretty well maintained (a big thanks to this forum for all the help so far) but I haven't put it through such a long trip before.

In December I will be taking my family (including a baby) from Denver to Minnesota and back. What are some things you do would do to the Jeep to ensure a successful trip?

I have relatively recently replaced or maintained the following:

Tires, spark park plugs and wires, brakes, front end suspension components, alignment, wipers, motor and transmission mounts, exhaust manifold, radiator flush, U-joints and transfer case fluids.

What other things would you suggest doing before the trip? I am thinking battery (mines about 4 years old and cranks a little slow at times) and possibly cleaning the NSS (it shows p0700 and p0705 codes pending, though no noticeable issues).

What would you suggest packing in the car in case of breakdown or other emergency?

Thanks for any and all help!

sweryap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2014, 11:19 PM   #2
MaskedMallard
2000 XJ Cherokee 

What is the freeze protection of the coolant???
5w-30 oil???
Do you have jumper cables???
Maybe road flares???
Snow shovel
Windshield scraper.
12v air pump.
Lock de-icer (doesn't do you any good to keep it in the car).
Spare tire in good condition & holding air. I like to put tubes into my spare tires.
Is your washer fluid rated to -30*F??? Make sure you pump the fluid to the nozzles so the lines don't freeze.
Blanket
Hand warmers
Extra gloves & warm socks
Warm winter boots.
Granola bars / chocolate bars
Anything bottled (water, coke) left in the car will freeze, including lotion.
Depending on where you park & temperature, an electric battery blanket might be a good idea, or even a block heater. But, I think you won't need those.
Plan on afew car washes when temperature allows. Make sure to wipe door seals clean of water.
MaskedMallard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2014, 02:13 PM   #3
sweryap
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Thank you, very helpful!
sweryap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2014, 03:46 PM   #4
Motorcharge
I know more than you.

1991 MJ Comanche 

In addition to the stuff he posted, cat litter, fire starters, duct tape, u joints, spare rad hoses, zip ties, ect. I'd also pick up AAA service considering you've got a young kid with you. It's cheap and just worth having in general. Hell, they'll even put you up in a hotel if you need to put your car in a shop along the way or have it towed somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only inadequate clothing and transportation.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2014, 09:25 PM   #5
jakecarder
2000 XJ Cherokee 

AAA pays for itself the first time you need to use it. It's amazing. I also suggest rain-x. Love the stuff.
jakecarder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.