2000 jeep cherokee sport xj 4.0l - JeepForum.com

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 06-29-2016, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
art247

2000 jeep cherokee sport xj 4.0l

Just got my jeep out of the shop 122000
Miles one owner im new to the forum and its my first jeep what can i do with this model open to suggestions
I am in missouri thank in advance
Art247

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

dadzrig likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 06-29-2016, 06:54 PM
shooptube
Bumpstops? HAHAHAH

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Looks like a great start man.

What do you plan on doing with the jeep? Daily driver and light trail use? Trailer only jeep?

You want to build to suit your uses for it. Also do you have a budget to start with?

Before you do any mods, the first thing you want to do is do a tune up, fluid change, and solve any issues the previous owner ignored.

"This is why duct tape is only rated for <25mph fastening applications." -chris87xj
post #3 of 21 Old 06-29-2016, 07:01 PM
ou2mame

Yeah i would spend my time with the coolant system, change all the fluids.. Diffs tranny transfer case etc, fix any leaks and any other issues you spot.. And then after you're done and youve driven it see what else it needs. Probably rear leafs and shocks, maybe nows a good time to do a 3" lift if you need tires anyways.

Sent from my HTC M9 using Tapatalk
post #4 of 21 Old 06-29-2016, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
art247

I got it from a family member its one owner i have a cousin who builds trailers i will be going to work i maybe able to find some trails just got it from the dealer everything was checked out
I have had only trucks that werent 4wd ive kind of looked at some kits but mostly restoring
Stock to start i am still getting used to it and 4wd will be new to me i will have to see if i like driving on trails before i do any custom work i wanted a motor cycle again but this is practical
I plan to study up before i purchase anything 😉

post #5 of 21 Old 06-29-2016, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
art247

Thanks i will do that this week i will take it most of that is done at the dealer but needs a road test

post #6 of 21 Old 06-29-2016, 08:08 PM
b16gsr
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Art247 welcome.

Where in MO are you? That is a great looking Jeep. I am partial to the 2 doors.

You can get some ideas for yours in any of these build threads.

Here is mine:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...sport-3556346/

Here are a couple pics.

dadzrig and art247 like this.

1998 Jeep Cherokee 4X4 2 door
post #7 of 21 Old 06-30-2016, 05:22 AM
FairlanePhil
1999 XJ Cherokee 

When it comes to the cooling system do not trust the dealer or any previous owner on a 2000-2001.

These two years have a known issue regarding the head casting. 6 guys will pop up after this post saying the issue is overstated but I'd still say you need to look over the cooling system closely yourself and never overheat the Jeep if at all possible.

Current: 99XJ 6.5 lift-Bought 2015
Sold: Patriot Blue 00 XJ.
'sploded: 01 stock-0331 head victim
post #8 of 21 Old 06-30-2016, 09:51 AM
SmashDN
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Radiator flush and new thermostat are cheap insurance and give you a rough idea what kind of shape it is in.
post #9 of 21 Old 07-01-2016, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
art247

Quote:
Originally Posted by b16gsr View Post
Art247 welcome.

Here is mine:

Here are a couple pics.

Oh thats a nice jeep!!!
i am in columbia missouri inbetween kansas city and st louis

post #10 of 21 Old 07-01-2016, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
art247

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairlanePhil View Post
When it comes to the cooling system do not trust the dealer or any previous owner on a 2000-2001.

These two years have a known issue regarding the head casting. 6 guys will pop up after this post saying the issue is overstated but I'd still say you need to look over the cooling system closely yourself and never overheat the Jeep if at all possible.
What temperature s does it normally run?

post #11 of 21 Old 07-01-2016, 10:02 PM
S8NNG8
Kustom Phabrication

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by art247 View Post
What temperature s does it normally run?

About 190°-210°. The way the gauges are designed, they should all be pointing straight up the middle under normal running conditions, but the gas gauge may vary

D3<!L!>3D
post #12 of 21 Old 07-01-2016, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
art247

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8NNG8 View Post
About 190°-210°. The way the gauges are designed, they should all be pointing straight up the middle under normal running conditions, but the gas gauge may vary
I think its running 210 i will doublecheck
Tomorrow i have the day off and im going to do some driving
Thank you!

post #13 of 21 Old 07-02-2016, 09:33 AM
Motorcharge
Bandeded

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairlanePhil View Post

I don't think anyone here has ever advocated ignoring or not checking over the cooling system on an XJ, on 00-01s or otherwise.

It's usually reassuring people that the issue is blown out or proportion and not to disregard those years in a purchasing decision based on it which is true. Just look at TJs and WJs, they have the same issue until the TUPY heads came out and no one bats an eye at the years effected on those.

You should look over the cooling system on ANY vehicle you plan to purchase or have purchased. Especially on XJs because they always had notoriously ****ty cooling systems.

All that said, the head casting issue makes overheating similar to overheating aluminum heads on other vehicles. Simply running hot isn't going to be an issue, but you don't want to overstress the head. Due to a casting defect it's more likely to crack than other cast iron heads, but it's not like it's made of glass either.

Usually people pop up to chime in about the 0331 heads because Phil used to make a huge deal out of it because one went on him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only inadequate clothing and transportation.
post #14 of 21 Old 07-02-2016, 09:39 AM
Motorcharge
Bandeded

Anyway, basic maintenance aside here's some stuff I like to do on any Cherokee I buy.

1. H4 headlight upgrade. What parts are the best can and have been debated to death, but the long and short of it is the stock headlights suck and for under $100 you can significantly upgrade them.
2. Interior LED bulb swaps. Again, cheap and easy and a huge improvement for night time driving. I typically do the dome lights, dash/gauges/hvac, shifter, glovebox, and if you have them the under dash courtesy lights. You can replace them all with little effort in a few minutes and for around $25-30 if not cheaper.
3. LED pods. You can pick up some nice Cree pods for about $30, they'll bolt right to where the stock foglights would be and they're simple/easy to wire up. Obviously you can't use them all the time but I use mine like I would high beams.

I personally have a harder time seeing at night and all three of those are a huge improvement for very little money.

I also tend to remove the body side mouldings and bedline from that bodyline down. Helps protect against rock chips and rust. For rattlecan bedliners the Duplicolor Bed Armor is good stuff, lasts, and doesn't fade from the sun. For roll on I'd go with Monstaliner. There's a rep on here for them and they give a pretty good discount for JF members. It comes in like 30 colors too.
Attached Thumbnails
0412151110_zps61neajdx.jpg  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only inadequate clothing and transportation.
post #15 of 21 Old 07-02-2016, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
art247

Quote:
Originally Posted by b16gsr View Post
Art247 welcome.

Here is mine:

Here are a couple pics.

I went on your link and i put halo fogs on the mitsubishi with good results and was thinking about upgrading the lights

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.