2000 Cherokee limited - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > 2000 Cherokee limited

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-27-2014, 07:42 PM   #1
stickum

2000 Cherokee limited

just wondering is this a decent year Jeep is there anything I need to know about this year it has 135000 miles . I'm thinking about buying it.

stickum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2014, 09:04 AM   #2
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The most important thing is how it was maintained. 2000 and 2001 Jeep Cherokees with the 4.0 engine have a cylinder head casting that is a bit weaker. If the Jeep has been overheated, these year Jeeps are more likely to crack the head. This isn't a deal breaker, since the head can be replaced with a beefier one for ~$600 if you do it yourself. I made a thread about swapping mine and its in my signature if you want to take a look. Not all 2000 and 2001s will crack the cylinder head, and many of them don't. It is all about maintenance.

The most important thing about Cherokees in my opinion is the condition of the body. Engines can be swapped, axles, etc, but body rust is what kills these things.

The 2000 has a front axle that isn't the best if you plan on lifting it above 3.5", but it all depends what you want to do with it. If you want to keep it semi-stock and use it as a daily driver, the Limited trim is certainly very comfortable.

There are people on here who will say "blah blah is the best year" but it is really dependent on the vehicle itself. 1999 is a popular year, but I've seen them be total nightmares due to neglect and lack of maintenance. The newest Cherokee is 13 years old now, and with any used vehicle, the service history will be what makes the difference between a good vehicle and a bad one. The goal is to find the best maintained Jeep with the least amount of rust, the year doesn't really matter in this case. If it is in good mechanical and cosmetic shape I would definitely consider purchasing it. They are fun vehicles to own and can be extremely reliable. I've owned mine for almost 6 years now and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.