2000 Cherokee Build - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > 2000 Cherokee Build

Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!Thanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.com2" Lift Kits for JK, TJ, XJ, WJ~$125.00 w/free shippi

Unread 09-18-2013, 06:21 AM   #46
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I hope this project didn't die

Built Not Bought #704

Previous:
'00 XJ 6.5 on 35" KM2s
'96 ZJ 2 on 31" Baja Claws
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2013, 03:15 PM   #47
JPCherokee
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Sorry for the delays to all who have been following. This project has not died, however, it is somewhat comatose for the time being. I am a full time college student, and I ran out of time. I wont be back home until thanksgiving to get any more work done on it. Im having some electrical issues that are causing my fuel pump not to work, which slowed me down a little towards the end. I have some pictures with the axles under the jeep and the tires on, that I never got a chance to post but will have up tonight. Thanks for following guys, it made this project a lot more fun. This thread will be continued!
JPCherokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2013, 02:18 PM   #48
Camfam07
1996 XJ Cherokee 

nice! please do keep this updated I really like this one and curious to see where this is going!
Camfam07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 01:36 PM   #49
JPCherokee
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Well i didn't have as many pictures as i thought. But here is how it sits currently.

Pics aren't so great, but you get the idea. Axles are under, leaf perches are welded on, front coil perches/ control arm mounts are on.
It still needs the trac bar mount welded to the axle side, i have to build some driveshafts, and get some shock tabs. She also needs some spacers in the rear.

Cheers
Unread 09-24-2013, 08:00 AM   #50
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

That axle. drool
Built Not Bought #704

Previous:
'00 XJ 6.5 on 35" KM2s
'96 ZJ 2 on 31" Baja Claws
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2013, 08:00 AM   #51
Camfam07
1996 XJ Cherokee 

looking good keep us updated~! cant wait to see this thing off the road!
Unread 10-04-2013, 01:22 AM   #52
Finallyajeep
2000 XJ Cherokee 

See your from doylestown, not far from me. Jeeps looking sweet, always loved black XJ's
Unread 10-29-2013, 07:40 AM   #53
79jeepincj7
1979 CJ7 

Alright Jake turkey day is coming!!! We better get some updates! You get a new computer sent to the house yet or what?

The VIN says its a 79 CJ
79jeepincj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2013, 09:49 AM   #54
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Just went through this build. Impressive fab skills and looking forward to this rolling out.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2013, 10:53 AM   #55
JPCherokee
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Gearing up for my christmas break. Plan on getting this thing somewhat wrapped up in that 3 week period.
Computer is ordered, that should solve the starting issue. One more yoke for the 300 is on order, also some shock tabs, wheel spacers and bar pin eliminators for the rear.
I need to build a door in the rear of my shop as it has grown quite a bit since I rolled it in the front.

STAY TUNED

Unread 01-17-2014, 10:19 AM   #56
JPCherokee
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Well, CHristmas break came and went, and i have neglected to get up some pictures of the work that happened.
I managed to transport this thing to Vermont where i could get the help of my good buddy 79jeepincj7 who is far more knowledgable about the finer details of this project.
First I had to get the jeep out in the fresh air again, which was a task by itself.

I had to cut this big hole (just a plywood wall before)

And build these BIG doors

Then I was able to pull it up on a trailer. I had to chock the tires of the trailer and haul it up with my truch since it was not running at the time and the front end was only held in place by ratchet straps and jack stands. I also made a mess of my field adjacent to the barn due to the wet weather we had, but thats besides the point.

Jeep stayed on the trailer from PA to VT (307 mi) with almost no issues at all.

Got it unloaded, made quick work of the front end, and managed to get it running (I wish I had been taking more pictures). This is the first time I have had an extra set of hands on this build, and it makes life about 100x easier.

Long story short, we got the front end together, and after dealing with a few unexpected power steering issues, other odds and ends, and about 25 trips to the parts store, I was able to take it for a short bumpy (no shocks) ride. It felt good!

I was able to grab these bumpers off a buddy who was parting out his cherokee. Im gonna add to them a bit, but they are a good start.

By this time my winter break was wearing thin, and it was time to load up and make the return trip to PA.

And in keeping with tradition I managed to do major damage to my snowmobile (studs through the heat-exchange), so it hitched a ride home to spend some time at the dealership. Put on less than 100 miles since I bent the subframe up on a rock last christmas break... Back to Jeep stuff.

Got back in the barn and got some axle side shock tabs on bolted up the front shocks.

Close up of the completed front end. We had to shorten the drag link, and track bar

I didn't have time to get too involved in rear shocks, so I decided to go play a little.

It runs awesome, as it always has, but I must have messed up my shifter linkage because my selector positions are all off and it doesn't shift out of second on the road.
I would have gotten some better articulation shots, but I have no e-brake, and cant always find park

Once again, I ran out of time. So the jeep goes back to sleeping in the shop while i'm at school. Got lots accomplished, and I'm satisfied with the results so far. Its was nice to be able to finally drive the thing. Next orders of business are: Figure out shifter linkage, Rear shock tabs, Rear brakes, and Bumpers. Hydro, full or assist is also on the list somewhere, as the tires are a little hefty for the stock steering system and they don't like to move in the dirt, especially with this locked front axle.

Thanks for staying tuned. This thread will be updated when I get another chance to work on the jeep.
Unread 01-17-2014, 10:29 AM   #57
MOBBiN
Web Wheeler

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Glad to see it up and moving.
Unread 01-20-2014, 04:07 PM   #58
JPCherokee
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks, me too!
2000 XJ 305K original engine/trans, dana 300 t-case, D44's, locked front and rear, 4.88's, 6.5" IRO Critical Path longarm kit, plated unibody, and miles of welding wire. BUILD THREAD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/2000-cherokee-build-1539270/
Unread 01-26-2014, 01:13 PM   #59
Camfam07
1996 XJ Cherokee 

thing is sick!
Unread 03-11-2014, 12:23 PM   #60
79jeepincj7
1979 CJ7 

Keep the pics and progress coming!

The VIN says its a 79 CJ
79jeepincj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.