2-Tone painting the XJ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > 2-Tone painting the XJ?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread Yesterday, 08:33 AM   #1
patrickomalley
2001 XJ Cherokee 

2-Tone painting the XJ?

I have been noticing XJ's with a 2-tone paintjob. Bedliner and actual paint. Does anyone have any tips for when they bedline?

What bedliner do you use?
Did you sand down to bare metal and primer+bedliner?
Also, if you have this paintjob, how durable is it? Do you often have to touchup?

Yaknow..basically a guide to this.

patrickomalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 09:32 AM   #2
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

If you want a quality, UV stable Berliner that doesn't look redneck and doesn't scrape your skin off if you touch it, use Monstaliner. See their we page for more info. Also do a web search for a guy who two toned his Pathfinder in Monstaliner. He has a great video series documenting the whole project.

Sent from my phone
mschi772 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 02:20 PM   #3
patrickomalley
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks. I'll take a look. I used duplicolor bedliner and it seems to come off...rather easy.
patrickomalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 03:38 PM   #4
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Monstaliner doesn't use any rubber or kevlar grit/filler. All those other bedliners use some sort of filler and are not UV stable--they end up degrading and fading. Color selection sucks as well. Monstaliner has like 40 colors to choose from and is a official vendor here at JeepForum.

When something comes off rather easily, that's usually the fault of the prep, not the paint. Usually.
mschi772 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 09:25 PM   #5
Renix
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I did a rattle can rustoleum bed liner black and rustoleum high performance machine grey and it came out pretty good. I sure you can find better stuff out there but it cost me $100 and about 2 days of my time.
Renix is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.