2-Tone painting the XJ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > 2-Tone painting the XJ?

Zone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 07-22-2014, 08:33 AM   #1
patrickomalley
2001 XJ Cherokee 

2-Tone painting the XJ?

I have been noticing XJ's with a 2-tone paintjob. Bedliner and actual paint. Does anyone have any tips for when they bedline?

What bedliner do you use?
Did you sand down to bare metal and primer+bedliner?
Also, if you have this paintjob, how durable is it? Do you often have to touchup?

Yaknow..basically a guide to this.

patrickomalley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2014, 09:32 AM   #2
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

If you want a quality, UV stable Berliner that doesn't look redneck and doesn't scrape your skin off if you touch it, use Monstaliner. See their we page for more info. Also do a web search for a guy who two toned his Pathfinder in Monstaliner. He has a great video series documenting the whole project.

Sent from my phone
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2014, 02:20 PM   #3
patrickomalley
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks. I'll take a look. I used duplicolor bedliner and it seems to come off...rather easy.
Unread 07-22-2014, 03:38 PM   #4
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Monstaliner doesn't use any rubber or kevlar grit/filler. All those other bedliners use some sort of filler and are not UV stable--they end up degrading and fading. Color selection sucks as well. Monstaliner has like 40 colors to choose from and is a official vendor here at JeepForum.

When something comes off rather easily, that's usually the fault of the prep, not the paint. Usually.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2014, 09:25 PM   #5
Renix
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I did a rattle can rustoleum bed liner black and rustoleum high performance machine grey and it came out pretty good. I sure you can find better stuff out there but it cost me $100 and about 2 days of my time.
Renix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2014, 05:18 PM   #6
patrickomalley
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Looks good renix! I just finished mine. I used spray duplicolor truck bed coating. I'll post pics when I get home and clean it up
Unread 07-29-2014, 05:51 PM   #7
nolanbalzarini

i just have a tiny little stripe of herculiner under my fenders, and it looks good and has held up so far. i just followed the directions exactly, just make sure you mask everything within 15 feet that you dont want to bedline. also make sure to wear gloves
nolanbalzarini is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2014, 06:59 PM   #8
BlueBadger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renix
I did a rattle can rustoleum bed liner black and rustoleum high performance machine grey and it came out pretty good. I sure you can find better stuff out there but it cost me $100 and about 2 days of my time.
very very nice!
BlueBadger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2014, 07:03 PM   #9
BlueBadger

I used spray dulicolor. Sanded down the area to be sprayed. The small parts by the rocker did not get sanded good enough and flaked right off. Turned out nice but faded fast. I'm Going to redo it with Monsta some time soon I hope! It's all in the prep.
image-765065495.jpg

BlueBadger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.