2" Lift for 93 Cherokee Sport - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > 2" Lift for 93 Cherokee Sport

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 12-22-2013, 09:01 AM   #16
steelersdad81

I do live in the mountains n would like to just mud it up n stuff. I'm not looking to rock climb or anything. I mostly just want a good looking ride with good road performance still but be able to do some fun mud bogging with the kids. Nothing crazy right now. I'd like to up my tires of course. I was mainly looking to see if anyone knew names n makes of good but affordable lifts so I could look em up n price check around on sites n stuff. I just got the jeep n have never owned one. I've never lifted anything except my kids. I'm just now getting to where I can have a toy n do stuff but I still want it affordable. I've still got multiple colleges to pay for. Ha. But I do greatly appreciate everyone's time n opinions!!!!!

steelersdad81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2013, 12:31 PM   #17
00XJMikey
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelersdad81 View Post
I do live in the mountains n would like to just mud it up n stuff. I'm not looking to rock climb or anything. I mostly just want a good looking ride with good road performance still but be able to do some fun mud bogging with the kids. Nothing crazy right now. I'd like to up my tires of course. I was mainly looking to see if anyone knew names n makes of good but affordable lifts so I could look em up n price check around on sites n stuff. I just got the jeep n have never owned one. I've never lifted anything except my kids. I'm just now getting to where I can have a toy n do stuff but I still want it affordable. I've still got multiple colleges to pay for. Ha. But I do greatly appreciate everyone's time n opinions!!!!!
If I were you, I would spend more now on an entry level 3" lift with full rear leafs, and enjoy saving money in the long run by not having to buy new rear leafs when your factory ones wear out and sag. An RC 3" lift will run you about $575 shipped and you'll easily clear 31x10.5 with very minimal rubbing on bottom fender inner lip.
Unread 12-23-2013, 11:34 PM   #18
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

There he wants a dual purpose rig.

Look into rough country. Affordable and easy. You will be happier at 3". You build your own or buy one. If its mud you run in then you want some height to keep out of water.
Look into building a splash guard for your alternator.

Buying a lift with full leaf springs packs us your best bet for on and off road.

Why do lift questions turn out like d35 questions? Lol.
Unread 12-24-2013, 07:05 AM   #19
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

I'd still stick with a quality 2" lift with full packs. It's a lot easier and cheaper to go up to 3"+ from a good 2" full pack lift than it is to go up from a cheap 3" with AALs especially if you're adding leafs to your OEM leafs. He can get OME leafs and front springs and need nothing else for ~$300-350 and if he wants/needs to go higher later it's cheap and leaves money available for crap like an adjustable trackbar and LCAs that aren't "needed" but will give him better suspension performance. Cheap lifts will always screw you in the long run and you'll always end up replacing them with something more expensive.

OP how opposed to fender trimming are you and are you capable of welding? You sure as hell don't need 3" to clear 31s and RC lifts aren't worth a ****. You can piece together a hell of a better 3" lift for $500 than you'll get from RC.
Unread 12-24-2013, 01:21 PM   #20
Sycoglitch
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
I'd still stick with a quality 2" lift with full packs. It's a lot easier and cheaper to go up to 3"+ from a good 2" full pack lift than it is to go up from a cheap 3" with AALs especially if you're adding leafs to your OEM leafs. He can get OME leafs and front springs and need nothing else for ~$300-350 and if he wants/needs to go higher later it's cheap and leaves money available for crap like an adjustable trackbar and LCAs that aren't "needed" but will give him better suspension performance. Cheap lifts will always screw you in the long run and you'll always end up replacing them with something more expensive.

OP how opposed to fender trimming are you and are you capable of welding? You sure as hell don't need 3" to clear 31s and RC lifts aren't worth a ****. You can piece together a hell of a better 3" lift for $500 than you'll get from RC.
OP, this advice isn't bad. ImHO i do feel you should build onto this if you feel up to it. At least with a base kit, you can add slightly longer shackles and shackles relocators and get 3-4" from there and i only suggest pucks if you do 1". im never a fan of pucks. And as for shocks, even though you can use stock shocks. I say get Bar Pin Eliminators for ease of future change, extra inch of down travel and get appropriate 2"shoks seeing as yours are probably old as is
01' Limited I6, C8.25, D30, NP231, 3" Zone AAL Lift, Extended Shackles and relocators, Hella H4 E-code headlights w/ HD Wiring Harness, Fully Swayless, Front JKS Disco'd when needed, 60mm Bored TB, IRO LCA, Rear Disc Conversion
Sycoglitch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2013, 11:02 AM   #21
Rustlin
1994 XJ Cherokee 

I'm in the same boat a the op. New to Jeep but I'm interested in a practical lift option. Splash guard for the alternator piqued my interest. I've got a lot to learn.
Rustlin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2013, 09:08 PM   #22
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

steelersdad81: Advertised lift heights aren't always very accurate especially with OME. Depending on what spring you choose, a "2 inch" lift spring from OME may end-up settling higher or lower than 2" anyway. I'm with Motorcharge on buying OME springs now then seeing how you feel after that and building from there if desired. His advice here is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sycoglitch View Post
First question as a response to you should have been, why do you want to lift the jeep ...... Reason being. Doing a 2" lift is a waste, might as well go 3" to start. Second, if you have stock parts still, def look into new shocks, coils and leafs. Pucks and shackles are a waste on stock suspension.
Yes, Sycoglitch, you were right that the motivation is important, but in the very same post that you asked questions to try to get a better idea of what that OP was looking for, you jumped straight to the assumption that "Doing a 2" lift is a waste" before ever receiving any answers from the OP. Your bias got the best of you. 2" is NOT necessarily a waste. OME ride quality is great and can give slightly larger tires some room to breathe. While OME shocks and full kits are overpriced, their springs are not, and really are all you need to get started.

Don't assume that every XJ owner who expresses interest in their suspension thinks the same way you do. We aren't all after high stances and big tires, and we won't all regret small lifts one day. Plenty of guys need lifts and big tires. Plenty of other guys are just posers who want to be like the "cool kids" and copy the lifted-with-big-tires look. Then there are guys like me who don't need our XJ to be a mean offroad machine, are realistic about what our actual needs are, and aren't interested in the juvenile peer pressure to conform. I feel bad because there are plenty of guys for whom this is exactly the build they need, but sometimes I feel like I'll puke the next time I see an XJ with a 4.5 RC/RE lift kit with 31"/33" tires on black Soft 8's or D-windows.

I'm a guy who needs nothing more offroad than the stock XJ height already gives me (stock XJ's are quite capable, you know). I have no reason to use larger tires as stock or near-stock sizes do the job just fine. I spend a lot of time on the road--comfort and handling are a plus. I will NEVER need a bunch of extra height for any reason nor will I want it for superficial reasons. 2" would not be a waste for someone like me. Now, to suit my personal needs specifically, I'm going with a different, rather unique approach; I will be using Crown replacements with Liquid Industries sliders instead of shackles which provide 1" of lift as a side effect thus keeping my ride quality at stock or better, improving my handling, and giving me a slightly raked stance for a theoretical improvement in MPG. I'd use OME if they made stock-height springs, but they don't, and with the LI sliders that I really want to try, the lift height would be way more than I want. If I was sticking with shackles, I'd so totally be buying a set of OME springs and calling it a day. If the rake is too extreme, I'll use spacers in the front to level it out. It's a little more expensive than just grabbing some OME springs which is the mainstream tactic for a guy like me, but I like to be a little different, and I'm hoping that it will ride/handle a little better than OME despite having a worse bang:buck ratio. I dare anyone to tell me that it (either my odd plan or a simple OME ~2" suspension) will be a waste and that I "might as well go 3" to start."
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2013, 11:06 PM   #23
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
steelersdad81: Advertised lift heights aren't always very accurate especially with OME. Depending on what spring you choose, a "2 inch" lift spring from OME may end-up settling higher or lower than 2" anyway. I'm with Motorcharge on buying OME springs now then seeing how you feel after that and building from there if desired. His advice here is perfect.

Yes, Sycoglitch, you were right that the motivation is important, but in the very same post that you asked questions to try to get a better idea of what that OP was looking for, you jumped straight to the assumption that "Doing a 2" lift is a waste" before ever receiving any answers from the OP. Your bias got the best of you. 2" is NOT necessarily a waste. OME ride quality is great and can give slightly larger tires some room to breathe. While OME shocks and full kits are overpriced, their springs are not, and really are all you need to get started.

Don't assume that every XJ owner who expresses interest in their suspension thinks the same way you do. We aren't all after high stances and big tires, and we won't all regret small lifts one day. Plenty of guys need lifts and big tires. Plenty of other guys are just posers who want to be like the "cool kids" and copy the lifted-with-big-tires look. Then there are guys like me who don't need our XJ to be a mean offroad machine, are realistic about what our actual needs are, and aren't interested in the juvenile peer pressure to conform. I feel bad because there are plenty of guys for whom this is exactly the build they need, but sometimes I feel like I'll puke the next time I see an XJ with a 4.5 RC/RE lift kit with 31"/33" tires on black Soft 8's or D-windows.

I'm a guy who needs nothing more offroad than the stock XJ height already gives me (stock XJ's are quite capable, you know). I have no reason to use larger tires as stock or near-stock sizes do the job just fine. I spend a lot of time on the road--comfort and handling are a plus. I will NEVER need a bunch of extra height for any reason nor will I want it for superficial reasons. 2" would not be a waste for someone like me. Now, to suit my personal needs specifically, I'm going with a different, rather unique approach; I will be using Crown replacements with Liquid Industries sliders instead of shackles which provide 1" of lift as a side effect thus keeping my ride quality at stock or better, improving my handling, and giving me a slightly raked stance for a theoretical improvement in MPG. I'd use OME if they made stock-height springs, but they don't, and with the LI sliders that I really want to try, the lift height would be way more than I want. If I was sticking with shackles, I'd so totally be buying a set of OME springs and calling it a day. If the rake is too extreme, I'll use spacers in the front to level it out. It's a little more expensive than just grabbing some OME springs which is the mainstream tactic for a guy like me, but I like to be a little different, and I'm hoping that it will ride/handle a little better than OME despite having a worse bang:buck ratio. I dare anyone to tell me that it (either my odd plan or a simple OME ~2" suspension) will be a waste and that I "might as well go 3" to start."
How about you just give us your honest opinion 6 months after you do it
Unread 12-26-2013, 04:00 AM   #24
Sycoglitch
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post

Hey yes hi, than for the late post. If ya read long time ago i already made peace with motorcharge and explained my views and even did some work on the jeep. Thanks anyways for playing
01' Limited I6, C8.25, D30, NP231, 3" Zone AAL Lift, Extended Shackles and relocators, Hella H4 E-code headlights w/ HD Wiring Harness, Fully Swayless, Front JKS Disco'd when needed, 60mm Bored TB, IRO LCA, Rear Disc Conversion
Sycoglitch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2013, 08:18 AM   #25
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8NNG8 View Post
How about you just give us your honest opinion 6 months after you do it
If you're talking about my suspension plans, of course I will. I definitely was not recommending that anyone else do it. It's a goofy, more costly setup that even I am only going to try because I'm hoping there will be some slight advantages for my specific driving. I was simply sharing the plans for the sake of discussion since the OP's question has been answered quite simply already.

If you're getting more at my opinion of "should I have lifted higher?" then I assure you it won't change after 6 months or 6 years. I've already owned my XJ with stock suspension for 2.5 years and have ZERO interest in a lift and am only planning to mess with the suspension at all because all my bushings and leaf springs are shot, so I'll take the opportunity to tinker. I've never been anywhere where riding higher and/or having bigger tires would have accomplished anything other than hurting my mpg and making me look like a poser. I get from all of my point A's to all of my point B's on and off road just fine with how it is.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.