2 inch lift? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > 2 inch lift?

Only 2 Days left to win $3,800 Jeep Parts!Count Down to KOH Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-08-2015, 11:07 AM   #1
caseybarefooter
1994 XJ Cherokee 

2 inch lift?

I am thinking about putting a 2 inch lift on my 94 xj Just some shackles and spacers. Will 31x10.5x15 tire on 15x7 rims with 3.75 backspacing and -6mm off set fit with little to no rubbing?

caseybarefooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2015, 11:14 AM   #2
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

It will probably rub. The wheels and tires will fit, but you will most likely have rubbing on the fenders, especially with wheels that stick out. Your best bet would probably be 30x9.5 tires with a 2" budget lift. I have that setup on mine and it is perfect. Added ground clearance with plenty of room for flex and no rubbing at all. It is kind of pointless to put bigger tires on if you can't flex over obstacles without eating up your tires and damaging your fenders.

Edit: I saw the pic of your green XJ in the other thread you posted. That Jeep would look great if you threw some 30x9.5 aggressive tires on the stock wheels and put a 2" budget lift on it.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2015, 11:36 AM   #3
caseybarefooter
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepkid03 View Post
It will probably rub. The wheels and tires will fit, but you will most likely have rubbing on the fenders, especially with wheels that stick out. Your best bet would probably be 30x9.5 tires with a 2" budget lift. I have that setup on mine and it is perfect. Added ground clearance with plenty of room for flex and no rubbing at all. It is kind of pointless to put bigger tires on if you can't flex over obstacles without eating up your tires and damaging your fenders.

Edit: I saw the pic of your green XJ in the other thread you posted. That Jeep would look great if you threw some 30x9.5 aggressive tires on the stock wheels and put a 2" budget lift on it.

Will i have to do any trimming if i go with the 30x9.5 tires? also do you have a picture of your xj so i can see what mine will look like

Last edited by caseybarefooter; 01-08-2015 at 11:49 AM..
Unread 01-08-2015, 12:52 PM   #4
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

If you use the stock wheels you won't have any rubbing with 30x9.5 tires. With aftermarket wheels that stick out you still shouldn't rub with 30" tires but that really depends on the current condition of your stock springs.

I'll see if I can dig up some pics of mine or take some later. There might be some in my build thread too.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2015, 02:50 PM   #5
caseybarefooter
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepkid03 View Post
If you use the stock wheels you won't have any rubbing with 30x9.5 tires. With aftermarket wheels that stick out you still shouldn't rub with 30" tires but that really depends on the current condition of your stock springs.

I'll see if I can dig up some pics of mine or take some later. There might be some in my build thread too.
how do i figure out the condition of my springs?
Unread 01-08-2015, 04:37 PM   #6
Motorcharge
I know more than you.

1991 MJ Comanche 

Lift shackles in the stock location are terrible regardless of spring condition. Even if they're brand new springs you're going to have a 90* shackle angle that's going to ride like hell. 2" shackles on older factory springs are going to flatten them pretty quickly and you'll be back to stock ride height in a few months. Find some Comanche stock shackles and get some shackle relocators and you'll come out at about 2". Pricier, but you'll be better off with the relocators if you ever lift it more in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only inadequate clothing and transportation.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2015, 02:35 AM   #7
JeepJohn92
1988 XJ Cherokee 

I second Motorcharge's post. Just adding shackles are going to destroy your springs and destroy your ride quality (if you even care about that). Its just gonna flatten them out like pancakes and youll just keep replacing springs.
Colorado Jeep Club Member #343
Built not bought.
JeepJohn92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2015, 06:48 AM   #8
caseybarefooter
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepJohn92 View Post
I second Motorcharge's post. Just adding shackles are going to destroy your springs and destroy your ride quality (if you even care about that). Its just gonna flatten them out like pancakes and youll just keep replacing springs.
Then how do you recommend adding 2 inches to my ride height
Unread 01-09-2015, 09:38 AM   #9
Tru2Chevy
Web Wheeler

1992 XJ Cherokee 

There are a few ways to do it. Starting with a new stock or HD spring would be your best bet. I bought a set of Crown HD leaf springs that advertise 1"-1.5" lift over stock pretty cheap on Amazon (yay for free prime shipping). Then you can add a shackle relocation box which will add about 1" of lift. That's a good base in the rear. If you decide you want to go higher later, you can easily add a lift shackle and use the relo box to get a good shackle angle.

Up front you can either just get a 2" spacer, or if your coil springs are worn you can shop around for lift springs or some combination of lift springs and spacers to get your desired height. I bought a set of Moog cc782 coils and 1" spacers.

- Justin

1996 Cherokee Classic - 3.5" lift / 31.0x10.5 Mastercraft Courser CTs / Warn XD9000i - Stripped for parts / junked :(

2004 Grand Cherokee Laredo - 4.7, bone stock - Wife's DD

NJ F-Body Owners Association
Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2015, 02:46 PM   #10
JeepJohn92
1988 XJ Cherokee 

You could do bastard backs.
Colorado Jeep Club Member #343
Built not bought.
JeepJohn92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2015, 01:30 PM   #11
Hulking97xj

Threads abit old but I did a 21/2" lift I'm my 1998 2dr. Basted packs in the rear and v8 zj coils and a 1" spacer up front. Looks like this.... And those are 235/75R15s on there
image-3542275898.jpg

Hulking97xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.