2 Door Interior Cages - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > 2 Door Interior Cages

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 11-17-2009, 04:20 PM   #1
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

2 Door Interior Cages

Ok so a while back I bought a 2 door and had plans to chop it and put a soft top on it, sorta like what you see with some 4runners.

Long story short I had to get rid of the Jeep but I'm thinking of trying it again once I get some money saved up.

What I'm thinking is actually very similar to this:

It belongs to someone on here, it came up randomly on google image while I was looking for something else oddly enough.

Anyway I still have the soft top. It has a metal track that bolts down to the roof that the top slides into then the top buttons down the side, down towards the gate where the long window used to be, and then buttons along the back of the tailgate. I'd like to reuse it, but I'm open to other ideas as well. Making a new soft top wouldn't be too difficult I guess.

Following pics are just quick photoshop hacks lol

Anyway here's what it'll look like when after the cuts:

Here's what I'm thinking for the cage:

If it's not exactly clear what I'm thinking about for the cage I'll try and explain it.

Here's how it'll look with the soft top:

Anyway, just want to see stuff thats similar, hear peoples feedback, ideas, ect.

Also with the cage, I'm looking more to brace the XJ so it doesn't fold like a taco when I take it offroad after I cut it, not something to protect in case of a roll over.

Last edited by Motorcharge; 11-18-2009 at 07:59 AM..
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2009, 05:08 PM   #2
2doorxj
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

chech out pirate4x4.com theres lots of stuff like that

2012 Cherokee of the Year
2doorxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2009, 05:20 PM   #3
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

Yeah I'm sure I'll throw this up over there and on NAXJA as well later.
Unread 11-18-2009, 08:05 AM   #4
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

Working on a 3D render for the cage, I'll post it up when I'm done. Hopefully later today.
Unread 11-18-2009, 08:27 AM   #5
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

Tried taking a picture of the soft top, but my crappy little webcam just wasn't doing it. Oh well, at least you get to enjoy more of my sweet paint skills.

Basically the thick black line at the very top is a metal track that gets caulked and screwed to the roof. Then the thick black line at the top of the top slides into that. Then it folds down where the grey lines are and snaps to buttons that are riveted down the sides and tailgate. The 2 triangles and the polygon are clear plastic windows, really similar to whats in Wrangler and CJ soft tops.
Unread 11-18-2009, 08:54 AM   #6
Kettles
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Sweet looking top. I have plans for a chop myself. Kinda like what you pictured, but I was going to take the whole roof out (so above drivers head is open) and then make/get a bimini top for that. Hadn't figured out the back yet (not to mention I need to get the jeep first, lol), but I might have to borow your design.

Cage wise (for the tacoing everyone goes on about) I wasn't thinking one right away for $ reasons. I was going to see if I could build in some frame rails above the floor with 2X3 or 2x4 box tubing. I was going to run them along the very edges of the floor, sticking to the sides and using sheet metal to blend it into the bed sides. The would continue all the way to the firewall hopefully. And make a roof cross brace to tie the edges of the door frames together. I think that would provide enough regidity to the whole structure untill I can afford some tubing and have it bent to tie in some more. Ofcourse the doors will be removeable. and I need my tunes so I am going to copy a wrangler setup I saw and turn some ammo boxes into speaker boxes. Waterproof storage too, lol.

So I think your looking good with your ideas!
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
"Dee", a Patriot Blue 2001 Cherokee Sport 4.0L High-Output Pictures Build Thread
The Rocket Sheep
"Live Free Or Die; Death Is Not The Worst of Evils." -General John Stark
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
perfect depends on how far away you are when you look at it:D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
It's a 4.0 ... as long as there's something in the crank case that isn't coolant I'm sure it will still run forever.
Kettles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2009, 09:13 AM   #7
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

At first I was thinking I could probably just get like steel tubing bracing to just stretch from side to side in the back, almost like a simple steel box. Just something simple to keep the sides from coming in when it flexes, but the jump from that to a full on cage didn't seem that big.

Friend of mine cut his 2 door off like this and never did a cage. It's pretty ridiculous how much the sides would flex in without one. Definitely won't be doing any cuts until theres some sort of bracing in place.
Unread 11-18-2009, 12:34 PM   #8
Kettles
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah.. I am doing the box tubing because I can cut and weld that myself, but I can't bend DOM. And with my frame I figure it will be a great base for a cage later. I start at school for welding in the spring so I figure sometime during my time there I might beable to use some of their equipment for my own means (for a cage).
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
"Dee", a Patriot Blue 2001 Cherokee Sport 4.0L High-Output Pictures Build Thread
The Rocket Sheep
"Live Free Or Die; Death Is Not The Worst of Evils." -General John Stark
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
perfect depends on how far away you are when you look at it:D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
It's a 4.0 ... as long as there's something in the crank case that isn't coolant I'm sure it will still run forever.
Kettles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2011, 07:58 AM   #9
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

did this project ever happen?
koolaid5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2011, 02:40 PM   #10
ScruffStuff
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I like the concept here. It's like an XJ fastback.
Unread 05-18-2011, 03:53 PM   #11
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolaid5 View Post
did this project ever happen?
Not yet. Long story short I just started a job/career about a month ago and I'm saving up to start it in a few months hopefully.
Unread 05-18-2011, 08:27 PM   #12
DualPurposeXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
Also with the cage, I'm looking more to brace the XJ so it doesn't fold like a taco when I take it offroad after I cut it, not something to protect in case of a roll over.
Why not add some triangulation to the cage while you are caging it? A well designed/properly built cage will help brace the unibody and save you if you ever end up with the rubber side up
DualPurposeXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2011, 06:24 PM   #13
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DualPurposeXJ View Post
Why not add some triangulation to the cage while you are caging it? A well designed/properly built cage will help brace the unibody and save you if you ever end up with the rubber side up
When I originally planned this I was looking for something really, really basic just for the sake of chopping it asap. When I actually get around to doing this I don't plan on going cheap on it, I'll have a real cage built.
Unread 05-19-2011, 09:46 PM   #14
tbburg
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
Here's what I'm thinking for the cage:
Thoughts on the cage:
Not sure if you were talking about an exo cage or not, but regardless, you don't want to end the rear diagonals at the top of the windows. You should plan on securely welding a plate above the rear spring hanger/uni-frame rail on each side of the real load floor, then dropping the diagonals to the plate.

Throw a diagonal across the roof(corner of one A-pillar top to the opposite B-pillar top), or a "V" (corner/center/corner)

Do the front the way you have it drawn. It's a pain to fit the cage up to the fire wall through the dash, but don't cheap out on this. You will regret fitting the cage where you can't pull the dash later. Also makes fitting extensions through the firewall to the front end much easier.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.