1st jeep 96 XJ country edition - many questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > 1st jeep 96 XJ country edition - many questions

Bds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!

Unread 03-30-2011, 09:46 PM   #1
docrich52
1996 XJ Cherokee 

1st jeep 96 XJ country edition - many questions

So let me start off by saying that I have wanted an J for the longest time and I finally found someone that wanted to trade a hond accord for one! Victory!!

This is my first Jeep and I have alot of questions but i guess i should start off with the most broad one. Is there anything that i should pay extra close attention to while putting my list together of things that need fixed?

I aleady know that i need a new exhaust mani and basically the rest of the ehaust, plugs wires and rotor.

She already has a 3 or 4 inc lift on her, but i heard i need to drop the transfer case down to compensate....? is this true?

and im getting it undercoated on tuesday (doesnt have any significant rust undeneath yet and i wanna keep it that way)

I appriciate any advice and look forward to being part of the fam

docrich52 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2011, 10:09 PM   #2
scavok
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Woo, and its a country too You have pics yet?
Unread 03-30-2011, 10:12 PM   #3
Brookhart63
1999 XJ Cherokee 

get an sye. what T-case do you have? dirtbound off road is having some sweet deals on SYE's.
Brookhart63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2011, 10:22 PM   #4
docrich52
1996 XJ Cherokee 

no pictures yet but this weekend i will take plenty. its pretty slick lookng. i read a little about the sye but im not sure if i can do that myself... i want to do everything possible on my own if i can.. what is the benifit of a slip yolk eliminator?
Unread 03-30-2011, 10:35 PM   #5
mattk136
1963 CJ5 

yes, sye is a must have. that small of a lift u dont need to lower t case. track bar bracket on the frame will always losen up! tighten the bolts and stitch weld the bracket to the sub frame. upgrade to at least an 8.25 rear diff,get hood vents,xj's are known for cooling probs. if u are gonna wheel a lot DONT waste ur hard earned money on quick disconnect for sway bars,its just not that big of a deal!. im guessing its a 4.0 so the alt is mounted on the bottom,avoid deep water or you will be replacing it all the time. u can save ur alt by mounting a heavy push pull switch in line on the main alt wire,so u can shut your alt off before the deep water/mud and turn it back on after u get thu it. also the coolant reservoir is mounted on a tin plate,bend the plate down on the fender side,this will keep the tank from rubbing on the hood and cracking! also the electric fans, i found that it was better to take them off the thermo switch and run them with toggle switches,back to the water and mud,u can turn the fans off in the water/mud so they dont take the radiator out. hopefully some of this will help you. i wheeld an xj for a long time and those small little things saved me a lot of trouble.
mattk136 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2011, 10:40 PM   #6
Brookhart63
1999 XJ Cherokee 

With an SYE you put less stress on your motor mounts than with a T-case drop. It also eliminates driveshaft vibes. im not sure if this is right but it prevents your yoke from being pulled out of your T-case.... Plus you can carry 1 stock front drive shaft and have a replacement for both front and rear on the trail. As for installation i couldnt comment but i ordered one and i plan on putting it in myself. Never done driveline mods before but hopefully it is a pretty easy DIY job.
Brookhart63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2011, 09:21 AM   #7
docrich52
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Pics of my XJ Country

Not sure this'll work but lets give it a shot

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&i...disp=inline&zw

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&i...disp=inline&zw
Unread 03-31-2011, 09:34 AM   #8
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by docrich52 View Post
So let me start off by saying that I have wanted an J for the longest time and I finally found someone that wanted to trade a hond accord for one! Victory!!

This is my first Jeep and I have alot of questions but i guess i should start off with the most broad one. Is there anything that i should pay extra close attention to while putting my list together of things that need fixed?

I aleady know that i need a new exhaust mani and basically the rest of the ehaust, plugs wires and rotor.

She already has a 3 or 4 inc lift on her, but i heard i need to drop the transfer case down to compensate....? is this true?

and im getting it undercoated on tuesday (doesnt have any significant rust undeneath yet and i wanna keep it that way)

I appriciate any advice and look forward to being part of the fam

Howdee from the Promise Land (Kentucky)--- Welcome to the forum and to the Jeep family.... Shops charge a silly high rate to install SYE. I had never done one, but I found a write up on Tom Woods Web site that included a lot of photos and it basically took me step by step through the install process.... almost. However, it wasn't hard, just takes a little time, a clean work area, and attention to detail. Have you given any thought to what front locker you may go to at some point in the future? If you think you might go with an Auto locker like an Aussie, you might want to add the Tera 2wd lo kit at the same time you are doing your SYE install as you will be right there anyway. Also, you might want to replace your TC chain as they have a nasty habit of getting tossed out the side of your TC when they get some age on them. Like the Tera 2wd lo, you will be sitting there looking at the TC chain so you might as well spend an additional $100 and replace it versus waiting for it to be tossed.
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2011, 11:30 AM   #9
docrich52
1996 XJ Cherokee 

so far this weekend

ive replaced the plugs, wires, distributor, rotor button and air filter. while doing so i sprayed rusty metal primer covering the hitch completely. while doing so i realized that the shackles on the rear of my leaf springs need to be replaced.

Is it an easy do it yourself?

if so, my buddy said i should just go ahead and get a bushing kit and replace all the other ones.... what do you guys think?
Unread 04-03-2011, 03:41 PM   #10
jeeptorino68
1992 XJ Cherokee 

pics dont work
92 XJ 4.0 HO,AW4, NP242, 30" BFG AT, 1.75 spacer and ZJ coils, double cherokee leaf pack and 2 inch rough country shackles, 2.5 inch dnynomax exhaust, magnaflow cat, front hooks & rear hitch, gas skid, front skid, warn t-case skid, 99+ intake, bored TB

02 KJ Limited, 255 70 16s, front skid, LS/373 gears
jeeptorino68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2011, 06:35 AM   #11
docrich52
1996 XJ Cherokee 

i figured......

i will retry again today.

Tags
cherokee , country , newbie , xj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.