1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > 1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ Help

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 01-30-2014, 08:44 AM   #1
MotoX

1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ Help

Hi guys, this is my first post here and I have a question about the 1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ's. I've never owned my own Jeep, but have driven a few and my parents have a Grand Cherokee. I've been looking for a jeep for sometime now, and I think I'd like to go with the Cherokee XJ. I found one that I am hopefully going to go look at this weekend and wanted to know what to look out for. As I said it is a 1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ, it has a 4.0L inline 6 with a few common mods like air intake, exhaust, but nothing spectacular. The Jeep looks to be kept in amazing condition, and regularly maintained says the owner. With 314,xxx km's should I be worried about something being on its way out? Any pointers or things to look for would be very helpful. Thanks guys, I'll check back on the post after work tonight.

-Alex

P.s- Heres a list of some of the stuff it has, and a picture.

In the last 3 months have put $4500 into it including new exhaust with a flow master 40, new 33' goodyear duratracs, wheel bearings and seals, upper and lower ball joints, l+r u joints, new front brakes, rear brake pads, starter and optima red top battery. Also in the last year have had the heater core, ac evap system and new radiator installed. Other upgrades to the jeep include bushwacker flat flares, Currie steering, bds track bar, rubicon express 4" lift kit with full leaf pack, banks stainless header, k&n air filter, bilstien 5160 remote resi front shocks, american racing wheels, full size spare, usb deck. Regular maintenance done including oil changes every 3000km

MotoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2014, 08:58 AM   #2
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

It sounds like a good rig. I've put 300k on my 92 and 80k of it with a bad head gasket.
The 99 is a decent year. It sounds like a nice xj. Mileage is a little high so use that as a negotiating point.
Be sure to knock on the bottom if the floor pans. Push too look for hidden rust. Check the fluids yourself, clean oil, red not burnt trans fluid, clean coolant, look for leaks. Drive it first. Feel for smooth shifts. Put in 4wd find some sand or grass and test the tcase. Make sure it shifts in and out good. Try everything that has a switch. Good luck.
Unread 01-30-2014, 04:22 PM   #3
MotoX

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberxj92 View Post
It sounds like a good rig. I've put 300k on my 92 and 80k of it with a bad head gasket.
The 99 is a decent year. It sounds like a nice xj. Mileage is a little high so use that as a negotiating point.
Be sure to knock on the bottom if the floor pans. Push too look for hidden rust. Check the fluids yourself, clean oil, red not burnt trans fluid, clean coolant, look for leaks. Drive it first. Feel for smooth shifts. Put in 4wd find some sand or grass and test the tcase. Make sure it shifts in and out good. Try everything that has a switch. Good luck.
Thanks for the advice, I'll be sure to do all that. Anyone else have any input?
MotoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2014, 05:26 PM   #4
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

It's a good looking XJ, still looks sleek and not overly beat on.
The mods listed all cite quality parts as if effort was made to 'do it right'.
300k on the clock is about whats considered a long healthy life, which could be an indication of attention to maintenance, but also might mean that anything that wears and is still original is probably about worn out.

Definitely spend some time on your back under it checking for rust. XJs are a bit prone to it in salty winter environments. Check the uni-rails and push up on the floorboards. See if you can push a finger through anywhere.

Why would anyone put 4.5k into an xj to sell it? Around here that might be more that what it was worth when stock, and typically the return on investment for jeep mods is pretty minimal.

I'd rock it if I could get it for not a lot more than book value stock.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009

Vote for the Jurassic July Cherokee Of The Month - TIE BREAKER!!!
chris87xj is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.