1998 jeep cherokee sport #3 cylinder miss fire - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > 1998 jeep cherokee sport #3 cylinder miss fire

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-21-2013, 06:13 PM   #1
modsjeep11

1998 jeep cherokee sport #3 cylinder miss fire

Hey my jeep has a miss fire in #3 cylinder and it's internal any ideas to help fix the issue!!! Please help!!

modsjeep11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 06:26 PM   #2
sluff28
2001 XJ Cherokee 

what year is the jeep and research heat soak.
sluff28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 10:03 PM   #3
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluff28 View Post
what year is the jeep and research heat soak.
Uh, I'd guess it's a '98 Jeep Cherokee Sport.
Unread 05-22-2013, 03:23 AM   #4
sluff28
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8NNG8 View Post
Uh, I'd guess it's a '98 Jeep Cherokee Sport.
Didnt see the year in the first post dont be a d@#k. If you want to contribute put somthing usefull into the members thread. don't clutter it up with smart comments.

Now for the problem if it is a heat soak issue there is a shield you can put on but it didn't help with my heat soak. The only fix I have ever found that worked well was a switch wired to my a fan so on short stops I could just turn my fan on and that kept the engine cooler by moving air over the engine
sluff28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 06:30 AM   #5
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

Didnt see the year in the first post dont be a d@#k. If you want to contribute put somthing usefull into the members thread. don't clutter it up with smart comments.

Now for the problem if it is a heat soak issue there is a shield you can put on but it didn't help with my heat soak. The only fix I have ever found that worked well was a switch wired to my a fan so on short stops I could just turn my fan on and that kept the engine cooler by moving air over the engine
It wasn't in the first post. It's the title of the thread. As for the problem, do hood vents.
Unread 05-22-2013, 12:23 PM   #6
LimeLJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You need to learn some humility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by modsjeep11 View Post
Hey my jeep has a miss fire in #3 cylinder and it's internal any ideas to help fix the issue!!! Please help!!
Modsjeep11, the 1999+ 4.0L engines are notorious for heat soak issues that caused vapor lock with injector #3 due to the design of the newer intake. However, the 1998 and older designs are not entirely immune to this issue either. The first cheap fix to try is to wrap heat shielding material, such as DEI heat wrap, around the misfiring injector. If it turns out that heat soak is not the issue then it will be down to a faulty injector or wiring to that injector.
LimeLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2013, 07:33 PM   #7
nebo29
2001 XJ Cherokee 

[QUOTE
Modsjeep11, the 1999+ 4.0L engines are notorious for heat soak issues that caused vapor lock with injector #3 due to the design of the newer intake. However, the 1998 and older designs are not entirely immune to this issue either. The first cheap fix to try is to wrap heat shielding material, such as DEI heat wrap, around the misfiring injector. If it turns out that heat soak is not the issue then it will be down to a faulty injector or wiring to that injector.[/QUOTE]

http://www.wjjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wj_1803103.pdf
XJ Limited Club Member #5
nebo29 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.