1998 cherokee sport high mileage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > 1998 cherokee sport high mileage

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 03-20-2013, 09:22 AM   #1
blakehill3

1998 cherokee sport high mileage

Im new to jeeps and i just got this jeep a couple months ago. Its currently at 196000 miles and i just got the oil changed about 1000 miles ago. I was wonderin if there is anything i should do to make it run longer? I know there is high mileage oil but i was wondeing what kind i should use and if i should mix anything with it.

blakehill3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2013, 10:21 AM   #2
bobthecatkiller
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakehill3
Im new to jeeps and i just got this jeep a couple months ago. Its currently at 196000 miles and i just got the oil changed about 1000 miles ago. I was wonderin if there is anything i should do to make it run longer? I know there is high mileage oil but i was wondeing what kind i should use and if i should mix anything with it.
If it ain't broke....
me: yaaaaa.
bobthecatkiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2013, 06:29 PM   #3
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Since when is 196k high mileage for an XJ?

Basically, I would just change all the fluids if you don't know the last time they were changed or if they are due. You may want to replace the belts and hoses depending on age and condition. Aside from that there's really nothing special necessary aside from normal maintenance. If you change the trans fluid (auto) make sure to use DexronIII/Mercon this is what the Aisin AW4 takes (the transfer case also uses this).

As for oil the 4.0L I6 isn't picky, it will run on just about anything that says "Motor Oil" on the bottle (5/10w30 or 5/10w40). That being said high-mileage oil can't hurt, Shell Rotella T5/T6 are also popular options which tend to perform well in the 4.0L. Just make sure to use a good filter (not Fram, STP, or an off-brand) Purolator (especially the PureOne), Mopar, Wix and NAPA Gold (rebranded WIX) are the preferred filters.
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.