1996 Cherokee 4L manual - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > 1996 Cherokee 4L manual

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 10-06-2012, 12:50 PM   #1
moggie99
1996 ZJ 

1996 Cherokee 4L manual

This is going to replace my Chevrolet Lumina Coupe (2004-2006 Pontiac GTO) in the next few days. It's a 1996 Cherokee 4L manual. I'm doing a straight swap for the Lumina - the garage that have the Jeep are going to fit a replacement engine (this one is smoky) and a new clutch as well as give it a full service. The Lumina is going to be the personal transport of the chap who runs the place - he practically begged me to sell it to him! Overall, it's a deal which suits everyone. John gets his "sporty" coupe and I get a relatively lightweight off-roader with better performance than my automatic ZJ.

No doubt I will have more to tell you soon.

moggie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2012, 02:28 PM   #2
GetLifted
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Are you trading Lumina

Or a GTO?

If its the Lumina id say good deal, the GTO and your getting screwed. *for some reason the chrome makes it look older then 96.

That 1996 XJ body looks like mine did when it was stock (minus the wheels and chrome). Yours must be a late 96 Classic with the painted fenders. Get some Rubicon Moabs on it
I love me some White XJ on moabs.
GetLifted is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2012, 03:30 PM   #3
moggie99
1996 ZJ 

The car I'm trading is neither of the above - it's a 2003 Middle East market Chevrolet Lumina Coupe V6 (3.8L engine). The body is the same as the GTO, the engine is the L36. To be more accurate, it's a Holden Monaro CV6 (built in Australia) but almost no-one west of the Atlantic knows what they are, hence my description above. Market value for a Lumina like mine is the same as the Jeep - I'm not getting screwed, trust me.

Unread 10-06-2012, 03:41 PM   #4
GetLifted
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Ah yes Holden. GM of Aus...

I have watched Top Gear for 15 years now. I also used to drive a Contour SVT (Ford Mondeo). I actually have a pic of a yellow Holden 6.0 in the local drive thru (likely a clone).

Well i have no idea what a 3.8 GTO is worth but it must be more then a 96XJ in that condition. But hey if your happy with the deal then by all means do it. I have a girl that wants to trade her 2008 Scion xB for my wifes 97 BMW 328 vert. I told her the xB is worth 2x the bmw but she doesnt care. So we are doing the trade next week. And ill sell her xB lol.

If both parties leave happy then its a good deal all around.

I buy and sell a lot of cars. IMHO the XJ is worth 1/3 of the much newer v6 Holden, but i base this off of USA price and availabilty. And in USA i believe all GTOs are 5.7/6.0 v8's, and i bet ANY XJ is hard to come by where your at.
GetLifted is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2012, 11:21 PM   #5
moggie99
1996 ZJ 

Local pricing here is very different from the UK and USA - age is pretty much everything. As a car reaches about 8-9 years its value plummets. For that reason the Lumina and the XJ are worth about the same price and it's also why a Corvette C4 only goes for about $6000 (less than half what it would cost in the UK). Monaros are also worth 2-3 times as much in Australia and the UK as they are here, because the locals here just regard them as ordinary transport and most of the migrant workers only want a Nissan Sunny or Toyota Corolla.

XJs are quite common here but many have had a hard life, but this one is pretty good. Absolutely no rust in the body, of course As I say, trust me, I am not being screwed - especially as I know the XJ and its current owner. The guy selling it owns the workshop that most members of our off-road groups use and he himself is a member of those groups and comes driving with us. His business would suffer if he did not play fair with us
Unread 10-11-2012, 06:02 AM   #6
moggie99
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetLifted View Post
Yours must be a late 96 Classic with the painted fenders. :
In fact it is a Country
Unread 09-08-2013, 07:02 AM   #7
moggie99
1996 ZJ 

November 2012

2" suspension lift now fitted. New front coils, new shocks/bumpstops/ARB bushes and an extra helper leaf in the rear springs.

The fact that the front coils are taller and more stiff means that it doesn't hit the bump stops like it used to. On-road handling and ride are better, too, which is an unexpected bonus - a product of it having the taller front coils and rear helper springs, rather than just spacers.

Anyway, now it's even better!

I have also replaced a few other bits, including the rear tailgate gas struts. Now instead of the tailgate falling down on your head, you are in danger of being hit under the chin as it springs up! I replaced all 4 steering track rod ends last week, too - the old ones were really knackered and the steering is much improved now, thankfully.

Unread 09-08-2013, 07:03 AM   #8
moggie99
1996 ZJ 

Nov 2012
The Jeep had a bit of an "issue" yesterday - the radiator blew out when the electric cooling fan failed. This is known locally as an "Explodiator". Thankfully it was right at the end of the trip and my mates were able to tow me to a convenient spot to abandon the car overnight. This morning I went parts shopping and then went back to fix the Jeep - all fixed after less than an hour (taking it easy, too).

I got brand new Valeo radiator, new electric fan, new hoses, rad cap and thermostat and had change from £170. The local parts store had it all in stock (I doubt that all makes would be so well catered for) repairs were dead easy - easier than on the Grand Cherokees in fact.

Whoops

Think I found the problem

Old and new

New fan

Almost done
Unread 09-08-2013, 07:04 AM   #9
moggie99
1996 ZJ 

May 2013:

Cheap Polish flares fitted

This is what the original flares look like:

This is the kit of wider flares. Single-piece front flares, two-piece rears (part for the door part for the wing) and two funny looking bits that have yet to be identified! :

I used fibreglass matting and resin to beef up the areas where the bolts go through (sorry no "after" pic just yet):

There were no instructions or bolts but it's not rocket science. Whip off the original flares, offer up the new ones and get an idea where the slightly mis-shapen fibreglas needs to be trimmed. Then get brave with the angle grinder and attack the wing!

This is what came off:

After drilling a load of holes in the flares and the wing (all rust treated and painted), I used some small bore irrigation tube (split down the middle) to edge the lip that presses up against the wing. Then I bolted it into place with some nice M8 hex headed bolts. The area under the front end of the flare has been left untrimmed for now - once I've get everything in place I'll trim/fold/paint it to tidy it up.

Then it's time to tackle the other side. Here you can see the mounting holes. No going back now! You can also see here the lift springs and uprated shocks that I had fitted some time back (about 1.75" of lift). Needless to say, this side took a lot less time than the first!

You'll probably have noticed that the new flares cover the area of the side repeaters. i have fitted some LED indicator repeaters to the mirrors (you can see them in the last three shots) and will see if there is somewhere convenient to refit the side repeaters - probably above the crease line.

Now the rears are going to be a bit more tricky because there are some double skinned, areas that I really don't want to trim because it would weaken the shell (where the inner arches meet the rear wings) so I will have to fold, weld and paint those bits and spend more time trimming the flares.

I'm reasonably pleased with them although the rear end of the front left flare is a rather poor fit at the bottom of the wing and could do with building up - but that's a job for another time. Rears first!

Also, the wheels look a little lost now (as expected) so I may swap them for the ones on my red Grand Cherokee which have a wider offset or fit spacers. Hopefully I'll get one or both rear arches done this weekend.
Unread 09-08-2013, 07:05 AM   #10
moggie99
1996 ZJ 

Driver's side arch on:

The plastic "beading":

Never mind the quality, feel the width :

A gap that even a Range Rover would be ashamed of!

Rear arch:

All 4 arches on:

Relocated side repeater and Cherokee badge

I'm reasonably pleased with the results but it's not a job I fancy repeating any time soon. I'll be charitable and say that "the fit could have been better" - in fact, I think that the arch flares were made by someone who had once seen a Cherokee from a distance but never actually got close enough to measure up . A LOT of fettling was required - perhaps made worse by the fact that I did not want to trim the rear wings/inner wheelarches because of the risk of weakening the structure, so I just folded the lip of the wheelarch up into the inner arch (forgot to take photos, though).

Now for some spacers for the wheels so that they can fill those arches.

Thankfully the new uprated, all brass radiator was a whole different kettle of fish. Beautifully made by Built Tough Radiators and attractively proced at just $205 including shippin to a US address and it slotted straight in with no troubles. I flushed the cooling system, changed a few hoses and fitted a new expansion tank and everything was fine - for one whole day until the water pump munched its seals! So it all had to come out again for a new water pump to go in. on the plus side, I also took the opportunity to fit a heavy duty viscous clutch to the fan so it should help cooling, too. So far so good.............

Unread 09-08-2013, 07:08 AM   #11
moggie99
1996 ZJ 

June 2013

Well the cooling system is coping (just) with the heat we have here right now. Just to give you an idea, it's 11pm and still 38 Celcius! On road the engine stays perfectly but off road due to the high revs and low forward speed it is OK unless I use the AC all the time - so I sweat a bit sometimes!

This is one of the front anti-roll (sway) bar bushes that came out now replaced with decent new ones (on the right). The other was just as bad. The rear leaf spring bushes are next to be replaced, with the nice poly bushes I bought from the USA. Then there's the sloppy steering box, propshaft UJs, some wheel spacers, seat recovering............................
Unread 09-08-2013, 07:09 AM   #12
moggie99
1996 ZJ 

Another job done on the Jeep - wheel spacers. After fitting the flared arches with the aim of giving more clearance for suspension travel, the bodywork is a bit wider and the wheels looked a touch lost. So, Ebay.com came to the rescue with a set of 1.25" aluminium wheel spacers at an attractive price (certainly better value than wider wheels and new tyres!)
Before and after pictures (taken in the dark because that's when the temperature drops to sensible levels - i.e. below 40C):

In daylight:

I also fitted the cupholder after adjusting the handbrake so that the lever doesn't foul on it:

Now for a few more mods to the cooling system......coming soon.
Unread 09-08-2013, 07:09 AM   #13
moggie99
1996 ZJ 

The radiator fan shroud disintegrated a few weeks ago on an offroad trip. The problem is that with no shroud there is a lower volume of air drawn through the radiator. My local parts shop had one on stock, so that's now back to standard spec.

The electric cooling fan is used to supplement the mechanical fan when the engine warms up and when the aircon is on. The original type of fan used up to 1997 had six, straight blades and was very noisy - mine especially so as the bearings in the motor were wearing out.

The 1998-onwards fan has 10 curved blades and is supposed to move more air whilst being cooler. My local parts shop had them in stock at an attractive price so the old fan has been replaced by this:

It's certainly quieter and smoother (less vibration) and does seem to move lots of air - I've no idea if it's more effective but it's worth a try. I was going to fit one to replace the mechanical fan because that is supposed to be the best setup but unfortunately my uprated radiator is thicker than the original and there is not enough space between the rad and the belt pulley on the engine. Bum (although I may be able to create more space using the drive pulleys from a Grand Cherokee).

Lastly for now, the chrome plated moldings around the headlights were cracked and broken so I bought some cheap, black ones and sprayed the grille black to match. I've never liked the chrome look so I'm much happier with this, especially now that it matches the flared arches.
Unread 09-08-2013, 07:13 AM   #14
moggie99
1996 ZJ 

45C temperatures are still causing difficulties though - over heating the PCM and causing it to cut out. I've ordered some capacitors and plan to replace the, following the advice on this forum. Alternatively, I'll get a new (remanufactured) PCM.

I'm also considering using this car as a donor for fitting a manual transmission to my ZJ, with the auto out of the ZJ going into this XJ.
Unread 09-08-2013, 09:40 AM   #15
AKIQPilot
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Wow, great stuff Moggie. You are pretty handy with tools it appears. You XJ looks great, you have really transformed it and made it much more reliable.

What are you doing in Abu Dhabi?

[CENTER][URL="https://www.youtube.com/user/AKIQPilot"]My Youtube Channel[/URL][/CENTER]
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.