1995_XJ's build thread, kinda. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > 1995_XJ's build thread, kinda.

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery MountsDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJ

Unread 07-29-2012, 08:41 PM   #1
1995_XJ
1995 XJ Cherokee 

1995_XJ's build thread, kinda.

Well let me start off by saying thanks! I have learned a lot from this site, and as soon as I get my new rims and tires I'm finally going to buy that membership.

Also, this build is going to be slow since I'm a broke college kid working part time. However my goals are a reliable DD but also capable off road. As of right now I only wheel occasionally, usually by myself and only very light stuff. I need to join a jeep club or something lol. Anyway I dont want to do anything even semi serious with my rear suspension.. but anyway

It's a 1995 XJ sport, 4.0 auto with power locks/windows, has 160,000 miles currently and I had it for like a year and a half or so. Got it stock off my step-brother, original price was 1000 but only took $500 for it. Not bad

WARNING! PIC HEAVY!
Sorry, all pics was taken on my cell phone, but the more recent pics were at least taken by the the Ihone 4! lol

When I got it,

Then 2 inch spacers

Then after awhile I got some 30's Cooper Discoverer STT's, Awesome tire BTW! And put them of Crager D windows, which I hate. Got my tires balanced and the guy said one was bent, ok I buy a new one to replace. That one was bent to, so Im looking to buy some new rims here soon. Input appreciated! Also got the rough country winch bumper and winch (was a gift, I cant complain too much)

The front has RC 3 inch springs with there 9500? I think shocks and a new steering stabilizer. Pretty sure it was here someone suggested a mod to the track bar? I didnt think this was needed for a 3 inch? even though Im pretty sure I only actually got 2 inches of lift becease of the heavy bumper/winch. Which was the reason I went 3 inch instead of 2. The rear however, was done by my dad before I knew any better. The rear leafs are stock, and of coarse sagging. Instead of getting new ones he raised the back up with air shocks. I know know, replacing soon. Thats pretty much the only reason I never attepmted to do some real wheeling.

Other thing I do not have a pic of is the roof. Its really bad. Had to of parked under a tree or somehthing. Its pretty flexiable and the paint is chipping and rusting. I need to sandblast and paint soon, hopefully before winter.

Rockers are rusted, as usual. Living in the rust belt sucks. I almost want to sell this thing and buy a cleaner one or a newer wrangler.

Right after the tires

Here that is, taken this morning with my worn tires..and bugs all on the front
I really need to trim up the front! Been putting this off as well.

This one is on the rear left, its the worst one. I dont know why, maybe a heavy foot?

But the other ones look like this, not much better but..

Heres the interior, Only thing not stock is the Cobra 29 LX. Pretty clean, except the drivers seat and the stains on the passenger side door should come out to. Im in need of some floor mats!

Also cant forget about the sagging headliner. Shoulda fixed it awhile ago.

Then one day after driving it in the rain it smelled like mildew. In the cargo area, the Carpet was wet. I cut it out to find this.

I didnt see where it was coming from though, dried by the time I got the carpet out (had to wait a few days). The only hole I could see is under the bracket where the spare tire is

I think thats it for now. Also I hope these pics actually work. Not sure if I can post under 50 posts or what not. Not even sure I have that many....If not Im sorry. If they did work I think I may have added too many, so let me know if I should post less of the same thing essentially for future post.

Anyway, any input is appreciated and I hope I get to update this thing a lot!

Unread 12-07-2012, 09:02 PM   #2
1995_XJ
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Been awhile, and didnt do too much. Moneys been tight Not to sure how to do this, so please forgive me!

Changed the differential fluid and put on a rear Riddler Diff cover, I used Mobil 1 gear oil. Painted it black since it comes unfinished, and didnt even mess with the bolts they gave me. I went and got all grade 8 hardware

I repainted the roof which needed done badly, also the rockers and the rear wiper arm. New PIAA super silicone wipers in the front which are awesome! Also put a JKS track bar which helped me a lot!

Upgraded to 31x10.5 on American Racing ar23's, I havent put them on yet though

Awhile ago I was on craigslist and scored a like new 31 inch BFG AT KO for like $50, so Im using that as my spare instead of the factory 235 on some AT tire. Not much more I can think of for now, just figured I should make some kind of update. I need to do so many things to this jeep, I just need the money and time! I have to trim my fenders though! I should do that as soon as it dries up, I need to keep the flares though. Or get the bushwackers..

heres my spare mounted to check out the size
Unread 12-08-2012, 07:26 PM   #3
Jeepnbo
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Nice lil thread! I wish i kept my set of STT's deff a good tire! Post a pic with the new rims, i love those rims!
Jeepnbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2012, 08:43 PM   #4
1995_XJ
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepnbo View Post
Nice lil thread! I wish i kept my set of STT's deff a good tire! Post a pic with the new rims, i love those rims!
Thanks! I feel they fit the XJ very well, and everyone doesnt have them like the soft 8's and the D windows.

Heres some pics with them on. I take way to many pics lol
I really need to trim! lol

one my dad took

Mine

Unread 12-09-2012, 09:08 AM   #5
Camfam07
1996 XJ Cherokee 

looks great with those wheels on.
Camfam07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2012, 12:14 PM   #6
Texsun
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Love the unique look of those wheels! They will be sexy with 35s
Texsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2012, 04:07 PM   #7
1995_XJ
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texsun View Post
Love the unique look of those wheels! They will be sexy with 35s
Thanks guys! and if I could set it up right to run 35's I would! I'm not sure where I want it at though. A LCOG 3 inch or so on 33s and lots of trimming or what.
Unread 12-09-2012, 06:26 PM   #8
XJemeraldisle

I vote low cog man more pros than cons 4.5 is as big as will go for sure!!
XJemeraldisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2012, 06:31 PM   #9
Texsun
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I honestly would say 3" and 31s or 33s is the PERFECT all around DD/weekend warrior XJ setup. You can honestly go anywhere you want, not to much stress on any major components and cheap to replace tires

Im right at 4.9" of total lift, running 35s but will be running fodees sometime next year
Texsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2012, 08:20 PM   #10
1995_XJ
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texsun
I honestly would say 3" and 31s or 33s is the PERFECT all around DD/weekend warrior XJ setup. You can honestly go anywhere you want, not to much stress on any major components and cheap to replace tires

Im right at 4.9" of total lift, running 35s but will be running fodees sometime next year
That's what I was thinking to, especially being a DD. I also thought if that setup can't get me there then I'm probably not skilled or experienced enough to be wheeling there in the first place! Haha

That's gonna look huge! Good luck, looking forward to seeing it
Unread 12-09-2012, 08:37 PM   #11
jeepjunkymike
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Unread 09-05-2013, 05:29 PM   #12
1995_XJ
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Switched image hosting sites, testing to see if i can figure it out

Uploaded with ImageShack.com
Unread 09-05-2013, 05:44 PM   #13
1995_XJ
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Update:

I have not done too much to the Jeep this summer like I wanted to.

Anyway, I put some bushwacker flat flares on since I need them in PA

before:

After (front only):

Then I test fitted a 33x12.50

Then a 35x12.50

I finally did the rear

My dads making mine look like a station wagon again lol

I finally got tired of my head liner touching my head..

Bad pic but mostly installed

Then I did hubs and Transfer case fluid

I have a good bit of parts laying around, but I have yet to put them on lol
Unread 09-06-2013, 07:58 AM   #14
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Man that is very nice looking rig!
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2013, 05:28 PM   #15
1995_XJ
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT View Post
Man that is very nice looking rig!
Eh, looks a lot better in picture then it does in real life lol

Tags
1995 , build , cherokee , sport

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.