1995 Jeep Cherokee Country - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > 1995 Jeep Cherokee Country

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 04-28-2011, 12:43 PM   #1
NicB

1995 Jeep Cherokee Country

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post here. A buddy I work with is selling his 1995 Jeep Cherokee Country (4.0 Liter v6). His wife purchased it new and it has about 191k miles on it now. Currently, he is asking $1,400 for it, but I plan to offer him less. I want the vehicle for a few reasons, namely to use in the winter (4x4), to use for various outdoor activities (hunting/fishing), for hauling things like lumber and other household items that require a larger vehicle to fit, and a second car to use when I take apart my primary car.

From what I can tell it is in decent shape given its age, but needs maintenanced badly. The brakes are pulsating something fierce (guessing the rotors in the front are warped), tires are completely bald, oils likely all need changed. I am going to have my mechanic friend get it up on the lift, but I could see the leaf springs have surface rust, and I know the valve cover gasket needs changed. There are a few other minor items, paint it peeling in some spots, obvious dents and dings, no electronic key opener, etc.

I was thinking about offering him $800, given that tires will probably run me $300-400, brakes $300, etc. With this said, I have a few questions:

1. Can anyone give me advice on if this vehicle is worth purchasing and what price would be appropriate? Is $800 too low/high?

2. What other problem areas should I look for in this model car? Transfer case, engine, etc.?

3. What kind of tires would you all recommend? I don't know if I want knobby tires or just normal street tires, I'm open to opinions.

4. How hard is it to change the brakes? I've only ever changed disc brakes, the rears are drums...are those difficult to do? Is my cost estimate of $300 for brake parts low or high?

5. Is there any websites I can go to for parts diagrams? I am a BMW guy right now, and if it is one thing I love about BMW, I can get all the parts diagrams online...it's fantastic really.

6. How expensive is it to change the leaf springs / suspension? Is it worth doing or just ride them until the break?

I'm pretty excited about the car, so trying to be more objective about it. I've always loved the "vintage" look of these jeeps and I would clean it up pretty nicely. Any thoughts you can share are appreciated.

Thank you!
NicB.

PS - I apologize for not searching more thoroughly, normally I would, but I'm under a tight timeline.

NicB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2011, 01:45 PM   #2
doogie

1996 XJ Cherokee 

How well do you know this guy, has he changed the oil regularly? Ever changed trans fluid/filter? In my opinon brakes aren't a big deal. If you can unbolt and bolt stuff back on you can do brakes. Valve cover isn't squat either. Every older Jeep I buy I assume 3 things, valve cover seal is going to be leaking, rear main is going to be leaking and the A/C compressor is going to be shot....it's just facts of life. I've replaced all 3 on every Cherokee I've ever owned. This is my opinon others may disagree, I think $1,400 isn't a bad price. If I were him I wouldn't take $800. He can part it out for more than that. So that said get it for what you can get it for but unless this thing is completely trashed I wouldn't feel to bad paying $1,000-$1,400. Make sure if shifts smoothly in and out of four wheel drive smoothly. Does it shift smoothly through all the gears smoothly? That should cover 1 and 2.
3. What kind of driving do you do. I love the look of the knobbiest thing I can find but at the end of the day I do 1,000 road miles for ever 1 mile offroad. So right now I'm running BFG Allterrains and they don't seem to balance any better than the mud terrriains I've run in the past but they are a hair quieter. So I"m not sure what my next tire will be. In my opinon just be honest with yourself about what you are really going to do with your Jeep then select tires accordingly.
4. Covered above.
5. I'm sure there are, but I'd suggest picking up a Chiltons or a Haynes manual. Wealth of knowledge in those things and when you are miles from an internet connection you can still look up answers.
6. Complete set of new rear leaves can be had for $250-$300. Also a simple bolt on affair. You can throw an add a leaf in there for less than $75. Your rears shouldn't break they will just continue to sag over time.

My old ZJ build thread
Previous builds 99-XJ, 98-XJ, 89-XJ, 05-TJ, 95-ZJ, 79-J10
doogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2011, 02:46 PM   #3
NicB

^^Thank you for the reply, good information.

I know the guy very well, have worked with him for years, genuinely decent guy not out to screw anyone, but he doesn't know squat about cars. The oil has been changed regularly, but I doubt the trans fluid/filter have. The A/C was just rebuilt last year to the tune of $400-500 he told me.

From the brief drive I took (only got up to 60 mph), it shifted smooth, kicked down nicely when I gave it gas. Didn't notice any problems in 4wd.

As far as tires go, I'm not going to do any heavy off roading, some dirt/gravel roads that are not well maintained in winter, but thats about it. I'm thinking of sticking with road tires, although I do like the look of the big knobby ones. I'm guessing gas mileage would decrease with those.

Thanks for your feedback.

NicB.

PS - This is a four door jeep, I should have mentioned that.
NicB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2011, 04:01 PM   #4
Durt_Diver
2005 LJ Wrangler 

look at duratracs. a great all around tire

lockers don't work unless you have Rubicon stickers
Durt_Diver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2014, 02:25 PM   #5
godley
1995 XJ Cherokee 

on my 95 Jeep Cherokee it will crank but will not start I've changed my CPS I changed my distributor cap I've changed the rotor button and I put in a new ignition coil but when I check my 5v system I only have 2.7v does anyone have any ideas
godley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2014, 11:42 PM   #6
XJwonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by godley
on my 95 Jeep Cherokee it will crank but will not start I've changed my CPS I changed my distributor cap I've changed the rotor button and I put in a new ignition coil but when I check my 5v system I only have 2.7v does anyone have any ideas
what the heck, this thread is over 3 years old. And that's completely off the point.
XJwonders is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2014, 10:28 AM   #7
godley
1995 XJ Cherokee 

This is not 3 years old, this is the first time I have been in here
godley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2014, 10:39 AM   #8
LBJ
2005 LJ Wrangler 

4.0 is a inline 6 not v6 i hate when i see that on CL
LBJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2014, 01:51 PM   #9
Iceman12
1999 XJ Cherokee 

There is one that keeps reposting locally here where they claim it has the very sought after v8 and 5 speed drivetrain. In a renix era cherokee. It also explains how there grandfather drove it since new and need to fund a handicap van with it, and that nothing is wrong with the car at all. Meanwhile the rockers are completely rotted off in the pics. Oh and they want something around 5k for this rare beast. You would think after the tenth time of reposting they would catch on that something is wrong with the ad.
Iceman12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.