1992 Jeep Build (Bocephus) My first jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > 1992 Jeep Build (Bocephus) My first jeep

TJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFIron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCK

Unread 01-20-2012, 10:15 AM   #1
TimHaw
1992 XJ Cherokee 

1992 Jeep Build (Bocephus) My first jeep

Thought I'd start up a thread cause I'm going to need a ton of help and advise.

Bought this 1992 Jeep Cherokee Sport with 160,000 miles on it (I'll add pictures when i get to 20 posts) for $800. Its got some pretty good Wisconsin rust on the rocker panels but apart from that its in great condition in and out.

I've had it six months and have finally been able to start putting money into it.

So far I've put in:
$150 for all new exhaust
$90 for a new battery
$25 for new wipers all around
$60 for a set of 60% tread tires to get me by

Then the fun stuff I got as gifts like a CD player and Seat covers etc.

Short term plans:
Replace wind sheild (bought one from salvage place for $35)
Figure out what to do with rusted out rocker panels

Long term plans:
3 inch lift kit
Build new front and rear bumpers (Self designed and built)
Winch
Light bar
Low profile roof rack

Now that I've got my plans my biggest problem is.. I'm automotive illiterate. I've only ever worked on old pre 1950 cars (even then I had alot of help). So I'm going to need a ton of advice. I've got friends that are helping me through it and I've got the facilities and tools i need. You guys are the ones who've done all of this and know what problems i might run into.

I'm running on a college budget so if anyone has any cheap solutions to the problems i'll have let me know

I'm all for comments and concerns so let me know what you think any ideas etc...

Last edited by TimHaw; 01-20-2012 at 10:45 AM..
TimHaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2012, 10:49 AM   #2
TimHaw
1992 XJ Cherokee 

http://www.jcwhitney.com/suspension-...d=d1163y1992j1

Any opinions on this? It's actually 120$ for a 3 inch lift. I know it's really cheap compared to some of the crazy good rigs other people have but for a college budget what do you all think?
Unread 01-27-2012, 10:12 AM   #3
TimHaw
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Any opinions on the cheap lift kit? A buddy works at an auto parts store and is going to get me a good deal on shocks all around.
Unread 01-27-2012, 10:19 AM   #4
Dash9893
2001 XJ Cherokee 

You get what you pay for. I know you are tight on cash (who isn't nowadays) but I wouldn't go for it. I'm sure your rear leafs are saggy, so add-a-leafs won't give you the full lift they claim. You should also upgrade your shocks when you lift, and that kit doesn't have any.

Save your money and get a full kit with leaf packs. I'm sure this lift would be terrible on the road, and not very capable off.

EDIT:

Sorry, I see you are upgrading your shocks too.
The pic they have posted and the description of items included is very different... for that price I'm sure all you get is the add-a-leaf and front springs.
Unread 01-28-2012, 08:35 AM   #5
TimHaw
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Okay now i've read some write ups about using F-150 springs from a salvage yard as a cheap alternative too. Any thoughts on that?
Unread 01-28-2012, 11:58 AM   #6
david92xj
1992 XJ Cherokee 

You need more than just springs and leafs to lift you jeep and make it driveable.
You will most likely need an adjustable trackbar and longer brakelines

and if you want bigger tires to go with the lift youll also need rims with less backspacing or else your tires will rub when you turn
david92xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2012, 03:57 PM   #7
TimHaw
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Aight well I guess its back to researching

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.