1989 cherokee for sale. Your thoughts? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > 1989 cherokee for sale. Your thoughts?

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!KOR Labor Week Sale and Giveaway

Unread 02-10-2013, 12:27 PM   #16
raetay
1992 FSJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge
Eh, if I had an 89 Limited that I'd kept in that condition for 23 years I'd be extremely hesitant to sell it to some 20 year old kid.
Yeah depending on how he feels about where the jeep ends up and I can see why, I think I came of as a young gear head just wanting to beat on it when really I just want it as my daily driver and to treat it well as it has ways delivered

Geuss time will tell

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

raetay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 06:05 PM   #17
grizzlycherokee

I am looking at this jeep right now for my boyfriends dad. All I can say is wow! This is one amazingly clean jeep. looks and feels like a brand new car. Not a speck of rust. AC does not work, and is likely pretty pricey to fix though.....

Last edited by grizzlycherokee; 03-03-2013 at 10:25 PM..
grizzlycherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 11:09 PM   #18
robtco99
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzlycherokee View Post
I am looking at this jeep right now for my boyfriends dad. All I can say is wow! This is one amazingly clean jeep. looks and feels like a brand new car. Not a speck of rust. AC does not work, and is likely pretty pricey to fix though.....
For that price the a/c should absolutely work.

I have a feeling that the guy will have it for awhile especially since he's firm on the price.
Unread 03-03-2013, 11:10 PM   #19
raetay
1992 FSJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzlycherokee
No kidding. here in b.c.? Yes it was very nice looked like it just rolled off the Lot if I could buy it i would but my word of caution is every seal on that thing is done among other things that will need replacing but I got a killer deal on a 2006 x trail luxury edition for thousands cheaper it was an obvious choice for me but like I said if I had the extra money is buy the jeep too lol

Unread 03-03-2013, 11:29 PM   #20
grizzlycherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by raetay View Post

No kidding. here in b.c.? Yes it was very nice looked like it just rolled off the Lot if I could buy it i would but my word of caution is every seal on that thing is done among other things that will need replacing but I got a killer deal on a 2006 x trail luxury edition for thousands cheaper it was an obvious choice for me but like I said if I had the extra money is buy the jeep too lol

Nice score on the x trail. All the hoses under the hood looked fine. Nothing looked rotten from sitting that I could see, which would make you hope the seals are okay too. Someone with a garage needs to buy this jeep and keep it as perfect as it is now. We were looking at if for someone who wants to drive it down to Arizona a few times a year, which to me seems like a waste. Was pretty funny, when we were waiting for the guy to show up I searched 89 cherokee on this forum and found this thread which turned out to be the same jeep.... Weird.
Unread 03-03-2013, 11:33 PM   #21
grizzlycherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtco99 View Post

For that price the a/c should absolutely work.

I have a feeling that the guy will have it for awhile especially since he's firm on the price.
Absolutely. For that price it should be completely perfect. AC didn't work, radio didn't work, it was missing a small gauge in the overhead console that I assume was a exterior temperature gauge.
Unread 03-04-2013, 07:27 AM   #22
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

That is definitely an awesome XJ that would have me drooling. Wrong (in terms of originality) wheels*, broken AC, Renix, only 30k miles in 24 years (too few miles can be just as bad for cars as too many), bad radio and missing gauge would all have me trying to make this seller see reason. $8700 is just ridiculous. I wouldn't pay that for a mint 96 or 99 XJ. I'll have put nearly $9000 into my 96 (including purchase price), but at that point it will be a 96 XJ with a bunch of new/improved parts and a brand new paint job with zero rust--far superior to a garage-kept 89 XJ.

Too bad he has such an unrealistic opinion of his "baby" to have seen reason. If he thinks so highly of it, he'll be happy to know that it isn't going anywhere.

*Example--Even though those 5-star wheels have been around since 87ish, I've never seen a limited from back then that didn't have lace wheels.
Unread 03-04-2013, 08:00 AM   #23
grizzlycherokee

Yep. I asked him about the wheels too. He said they were factory tires. So I asked why the wheels weren't original, and he got pretty offended and basically told me I was stupid for thinking they were not factory. I looked at a very similar jeep a while back. 91, limited, 130 km (and I thought I would never see an old one with that few again), old lady driven, and I could have had it for 3200.....
Unread 03-04-2013, 08:27 AM   #24
raetay
1992 FSJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Yep. I asked him about the wheels too. He said they were factory tires. So I asked why the wheels weren't original, and he got pretty offended and basically told me I was stupid for thinking they were not factory. I looked at a very similar jeep a while back. 91, limited, 130 km (and I thought I would never see an old one with that few again), old lady driven, and I could have had it for 3200.....
Yeah look out this guy is a major prick first time I met him I said word for word" so we are a bit aways on price" and he said well then I geuss we are done here, and went and put the hood down got and the car and drove Away all with no more then ten words exchanges. He is a totally ignorant prick and thinks very highly of his little jeep and literally wouldn't budge on price for 2 weeks

He sais he works as the Chrysler dealership so my geuss is he knows the value of it very precise. Someone said they woudent pay that much for a 99 and there jeep currently costs 9g with askin price included......

If you got this jeep for say 6800-7gs and dumped 1-3 starting with the engine ending with the body(lift kit,etc) you'd have an extremely great condition jeep(the best engine and model ever), in my opinion anyways, and you'd have legendary jeep reliability ad capability and in mint condition.....I regret not buying it but what can you do...this jeep has had a ton of I Interest far and wide.

If you could get it for around 6 grand I'd buy it and put work into it it's worth that much and even if its 10,000 dumped into it it's still in excellent shape and will be a great vehicle.

Driving to the states and back? No problem the inline 6 cyl 4.0l is a bomb proof engine it's why they stopped makeing em mine still works even after 30,000 miles with no oil changes and a bad leak .....oops. ( we were all young once) but in the end it still runs due to its design.

Whoever is looking at buying it I'd buy it...offer him 6500 and he will think about it. I offers him 6800 and he took it but I decided against

Unread 03-04-2013, 08:42 AM   #25
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by raetay View Post
If you got this jeep for say 6800-7gs and dumped 1-3 starting with the engine ending with the body(lift kit,etc) you'd have an extremely great condition jeep(the best engine and model ever), in my opinion anyways, and you'd have legendary jeep reliability ad capability and in mint condition.....I regret not buying it but what can you do...this jeep has had a ton of I Interest far and wide.
It would still be a Renix 4.0. Perhaps there's some subjectivity here, but for ME, H.O. 4.0 OBD-II vs Renix 4.0 isn't even a contest (all other things being equal as you're proposing).

I also highly doubt that, to continue using the 9000 figure, after 9000 this XJ would amount to what my or many other XJs would. He just wants too much money for the vehicle which leaves a very tight budget for restoration/improvement regardless of how "mint" it is. I'm only about $4000 into my XJ including its purchase price, and it's not far off from being perfect. It doesn't even need a completely new paint job, but I'm hoping to refresh it anyway, so that's why I rattled-off the $9000 figure.

Like I said, this XJ is impressive, and I'd want it badly, but this seller is some kind of idiot and is providing zero incentive for someone to buy his XJ over numerous others out there. Even $6800 is inappropriate.

There's a nearly mint condition 99 XJ Limited for sale here in Antioch, IL for like $7000, and even that's too much. Talking to the sales guy was fun though--I walked all over him and his weak, canned sales pitch. I was hoping to talk him down so that my mother could get rid of her 04 Tracker in exchange for it, but either he's as dumb as he sounded or the dealership paid too much to get it and can't budge without losing money.
Unread 03-04-2013, 08:45 AM   #26
grizzlycherokee

The guy was nice enough to me. Just a bit arrogant. I have no doubt the vehicle would make it to the states. I just figured it was a waste to spend that much money on something basically only because it has ridiculously low km just to rack it up to a high km vehicle after only a few years. This is the kind if car that will one day be a classic, if it is kept in it's condition now. I mentioned the lift I am putting on my xj to the guy and he said he wouldn't sell it to someone who was going to lift it or change it too much.... Fair enough. Do you mean he would have taken 6800 for it? He is down to 8200 on the price now....still too much.
Unread 03-04-2013, 09:14 AM   #27
raetay
1992 FSJ Cherokee 

Quote:
The guy was nice enough to me. Just a bit arrogant. I have no doubt the vehicle would make it to the states. I just figured it was a waste to spend that much money on something basically only because it has ridiculously low km just to rack it up to a high km vehicle after only a few years. This is the kind if car that will one day be a classic, if it is kept in it's condition now. I mentioned the lift I am putting on my xj to the guy and he said he wouldn't sell it to someone who was going to lift it or change it too much.... Fair enough. Do you mean he would have taken 6800 for it? He is down to 8200 on the price now....still too much.
Yeah that's funny haha won't budge on 8200....he does that very small increments he's basically waiting for the poor sap who actually pays that price.....we have been bantering for a while but eventually I told him 6800 and he said 7500 so I never emailed him back and then he emailed me back and said 6800 it's yours.

If you want to buy this you need to give off the impression your not going to lift it and use it as a daily driver and baby it like he has or he won't sell it basically

Unread 03-04-2013, 09:23 AM   #28
grizzlycherokee

Nevermind.

Last edited by grizzlycherokee; 03-04-2013 at 09:36 AM..
Unread 03-04-2013, 09:29 AM   #29
raetay
1992 FSJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I can understand why he babys it so much. but he has only had it since September. He bought it from an older lady that bought it brand new, hardly drove it and kept it in underground parking. He hasn't had it all the way along. It was towed into Chrysler, Because she was scared to drive it after it had been sitting for a year. this isn't some old guys pride and joy who has tucked the thing to bed every night, this is a younger guy, who lucked out on finding it and now is flipping it.
I know the situation on where he got it iv already talked to him.

He genuinely cares for it as he dosent want to sell it to anyone who wants to lift it and throw mudders on. It's a nice jeep and he knows that and wants to sell it to the right owner who will take care of it. So if you wanna buy it....

Don't act like a big gear head and say you wanna put a lift on it and beat it up say you wanna keep it forever and use it as a lifer vehicle.

Anything else he will just say 8500!!!

Unread 03-04-2013, 09:33 AM   #30
grizzlycherokee

No you have me wrong. I am in no way a gear head. I would not put a lift on it, I would keep it stock. I agree with the guy. I guess I didn't make that clear, sorry. But I'm not the one who is buying it anyways. Whoever buys this jeep, and whatever they do to it. They are going to end up with one beautiful jeep. I only wish I could afford it.

Last edited by grizzlycherokee; 03-04-2013 at 10:24 AM..

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.