1985 Cherokee (XJ) My First Build - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 09-16-2017, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Tonecouch

1985 Cherokee (XJ) My First Build

Hi my name is Tone, decided i should start a thread for my 85 Cherokee XJ 2.5 4x4 of course 5spd. This is going to be my first build ever. So definitly going to need some advice and guidance along the way. Ill get some pics up as soon as i can. thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-16-2017, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Tonecouch

Anyways, i guess it would be nice for some history on the jeep. Well i bought it about a year ago from my buddys dad for cheap. knew it had problems but i bought it for a proect anyways. when i first bought it i could crank it by priming it. a little gas in the carb and it would fire, but it ran like crap, had no power. and it would burn oil like crazy. the slave cylinder was shot. so i brought it home messed around with it. then decided to send it to the shop for some test. found out the carb was shot tho i already figured that it was original carter. everything ive heard said they was bad carbs. and found out cylinders 3 and 4 had no pressure. so decided to bring it home and tear it apart. so far ive got the motor and tranny pulled. found out the front drive shaft was shot cause the bearings fell out as i was pulling it. lol. got the engine in my bed room on a engine stand. got the heads off today. was looking at the piston heads, lol and cylinder four piston had a chip missing on the top near the cylinder wall.(didnt even know that was a thing? and how does something like that happen?) enough to get the tip of my pinky in. guess thats why it has low pressure lmao. the wall in 4 doesnt look scratched or hurt. figured cylinder 3 has a bad ring. regardless im going to have all 4 bored out anyways. get a little more power out of it. theres 2 rust spots about half my fist that im going to have welded. and eventually after its running right im going to jack it up obivously. was wondering what all i can do to get a little more power out of this engine during the rebuild. considered a 4.0 swap decided against considering this is my first build wanted to keep it simple and not have to deal with wiring the first time. ill get pics up as soon as i can guess i need more post. got a buddy coming over to morrow to help me. probaly going to tear the rest of the block down and do some measurments to see what needs to be done at the machine shop anyways thanks let me know what you think and any advice would be awsome!!!!!
post #3 of 5 Old 09-17-2017, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Tonecouch

Well I got the engine tie completely down to block now. Actually was no where near as bad as I thought it would be. I was very meticulous with every piece. I've got everything labeled and stored neatly away in order now I got to find a machine shop around here to the machine everything down that way I figure out what my measurements are before I order my kit was hoping I'd have a couple people's input on here but I guess it takes little bit of time for it to get followers anybody know how long it takes me to post pics anyways thanks for your time I'll post pics as soon as it lets me

post #4 of 5 Old 09-22-2017, 08:18 AM
bluejunior
Web Wheeler

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Looking forward to how this turns out, a little bore and stroke and that 2.5 oughta put out around what the 4.0 does and probably on less fuel. Looked at kits like 505 or just home-brewing it?

Lifted, Locked, Stiffened

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-23-2017, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Tonecouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejunior View Post
Looking forward to how this turns out, a little bore and stroke and that 2.5 oughta put out around what the 4.0 does and probably on less fuel. Looked at kits like 505 or just home-brewing it?
I haven't made you my mind one stroking it yet. definitely gonna bore it. and I have found a 2 barrel Weber carb to replace the singal barrel Carter carb. the Weber is supposed to push 15% more more. to be honest I'm teaching myself as I go. when can I post pics? would really like to share my jeep. also I have looked at 505. might end up doing one of those kits. like I said it is my first. so I'm trying to keep everything simple and not over load myself but I would like to push this motor to atleast equal to the 4.0

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.