Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

$150 carpet kit options. Can anyone vouch?

16K views 36 replies 11 participants last post by  bluejunior 
#1 ·
#4 ·
No offroading. Commuter Jeep. But, I want to clean it up.
But, the carpet is dirty, and I'd rather replace than even attempt to clean.
There is also cigarette smell.
It might even be quicker to replace the carpet than to clean it.
For $150, this is a NO BRAINER on a 14 year old car.

#5 ·
Ud be surprised what a good pressure washing can do at ur local spray washer. Spray carpet with tire foam and let sit for 10-15 then pressure wash until water coming off isn't brown. Then vacuum to get a lot of water out and let sit in sun a few days. Made my carpets in my 94 and my 99 look practically brand new only a few stains remains. It's defiantly better than buying new carpet and I recommend it to everyone. I swear it works.

Sent from my 2 door Cherokee!

#13 ·
Hi, I purchased a Carpet Kit from Stock Interiors 3 weeks ago for my 1996 XJ. At the time, I was trying to decided on buying a Carpet Kit or buying carpet/juke padding from a local upholstery shop. If I had to do it again; I would have just bought the carpet and padding from local auto upolsrty shop. The total cost at local uplostshop would have been around 50$ . Instead I bought the preformed carpet kit from Stock Interiors for around 160 with shipping.

In my opnion this was a mistake for Me.

Here the problem with the carpet kit. It comes in one huge piece. It is very stiff and hard to work with fitting into the XJ. You have to do a tremndous amount of trimming all over the carpet to get it to fit. Lot test fitting, moving around it around the cab floor.Just a big PITA because its one giant stiff piece of carpet. You have to cut the holes in the center for the transmission handle, seat belts holes, and varoius other items. Also the carpet kits DOES NOT COME with the same amount of juke padding that I pulled out with from the factory carpet.So I had to go and buy juke padding from the auto uposrty shop-more money 15$

So then I have to cut that to and place it in the XJ.

Did it come out very nice? Yes, but do to all my time and hard work getting it to fit.

It would have been much easier just to buy the carpet by the running yard/juke padding and cutting that to fit.
I can post some pictures if u like to see

#16 ·
It would have been much easier just to buy the carpet by the running yard/juke padding and cutting that to fit.
I can post some pictures if u like to see
Basically, your main gripe is that you overpaid for carpet b/c you had to cut it anyway? B/c it would probably be MORE work to install a raw sheet of carpet b/c it's not even close to teh right size anywhere.

#17 ·
Well, No and Yes. The carpet that comes from Stock Interior had the carpet jute glued/molded into/on the back of the carpet. This makes the carpet super stiff and the carpet they sell you is already stiff already. It just a PITA to work with. And also you have to BUY more jute and cut it to fit.- IF you want the same like factory.

IF I had bought everything from the upholster shop it would been much easier in my opinion and came out better. I would had 1 cut the jute and laid it exactly where i wanted . Then cut the carpet. The carpet from upholstery shop is not stiff at all and would have been easy to shape and glue to floor. I would have

If I had to do anther XJ; I am buying carpet and jute padding from upholstery shop. Even if the cost was the same. It just an easier install in my opinion.

I am sure some1 else might feel the carpet kit is the way to go thought.

#20 ·
Thanks guys. This is valuable insight.
I will skip the $150 Ebay carpet b/c it sounds like a pain in the *** to install with the pre-glued jute.

I will go for the $270 OEM carpet which includes the tailgate panel as well.
(If I can make things easier, I will gladly pay extra)
PS: *The code is MIDATFSJ...This entitles all club members to 12% off all items.

Now I just need to decide if I'm getting black carpet.
It will totally clash with the matching grey console and door panels, for example
I just fear it will look too obviously replaced and out of place.

#24 ·
4 votes for black carpet instead of the stock grey.
I just feel like having grey would make the inside looks brand new (like the cars been preserved perfectly)
Black will look like an obvious replacement and lose the "mint original pampered" vibe.
Restored vs. Mint original never abused vibe. Do I sound crazy yet?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.