15" vs 17" wheels - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > 15" vs 17" wheels

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread Yesterday, 11:36 AM   #1
HOGRUSH

15" vs 17" wheels

I have read on here where a smaller rim size would be better for off road use.

However it seems the tire selection has gone to larger rims generally.
I plan to run larger rims to standardize my Jeep with my other vehicles and run 265/70/17 tires.

What specific advantage would it be to run smaller rims?

I have 235/75/15 BF goodrich at now. I have been able to go places that I never thought it would go but really want a larger tire to not only fill the wheel well, but allow tire swapping to my other vehicles should the need arise.

Thanks

HOGRUSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 11:38 AM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOGRUSH View Post
What specific advantage would it be to run smaller rims?

15" rims and tires cost less. If you are going to run 4x4 trails, expect tire and/or rim damage.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.

CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 11:47 AM   #3
HOGRUSH

I am trying to get tires on my vehicles that are more common to the main stream size wise. Not an odd ball large mudder or anything that will be hard to find in a emergency scenario. I am at a point where I can go 16" on everything or 17" because one truck has 17", one has 16" and the jeep has 15". Thought I would start on the jeep and then work my way to the rest when I can. Either way, all will end up with same tire.

If an adapter wheel spacer was avail to go 5x4.5 to chevy 6 lug, I would run those so I could swap wheels and all if needed.
HOGRUSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 02:08 PM   #4
redXJhorse
1997 XJ Cherokee 

IMO 17" wheels just look to big on a XJ. It's your preference. I run 16" Moab wheels and I'm considering dropping down to 15s.
redXJhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 05:12 PM   #5
crockett07
1992 XJ Cherokee 

15" rim size for tires is still very common so I don't see that being a problem. The only plus I can see from the larger rims is potential for larger brakes but the need for larger brakes for say a larger tire would likely exceed the axle strength. I'm sure 17's will look great in the mall parking lot though
crockett07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 05:20 PM   #6
93gc40
1996 XJ Cherokee 

If you wheel just go to a 2 wheel system.. Stock 15's for wheeling.. 17's, you know you really want 20's, for posing.
93 ZJ 4.0 / 2"BB / Wranglers / RIP-Gone but not forgotten.

If it aint dirty, it aint a JEEP, it's just a SUV.
93gc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 09:33 PM   #7
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post

15" rims and tires cost less. If you are going to run 4x4 trails, expect tire and/or rim damage.
Not in Florida.
I talked to a group of jeepers from Utah last year at jeep beach here in Daytona. They said it best. Sidewalls make or break you off road. More sidewall the better. Most of those guys were in jk's and were running 15's

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.