1,500 mile road trip in '95 - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > 1,500 mile road trip in '95

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 03-25-2012, 11:15 PM   #31
DullesJeep
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Holy crap man, sounds like you are having a bad time.
And I thought trying to install a bigger alternator and route a serpentine belt in the dark was bad...

So much for my "you should be in shape for a good trip" post.

Unread 03-26-2012, 08:36 AM   #32
XJcherokee95
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I just drove from south Fl to Parkersburg Wv in my 95 xj. It did amazing even with a slight rod knock in the bottom end. It has 259,563 miles on it now the trip was about 1000 miles. I just stopped every now and then and let it "relax" just keep an eye on temp and oil pressure and you should be just fine.
XJcherokee95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2012, 10:30 PM   #33
XJ-JekL
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerMeister View Post
Wow, I was planning on picking up another cherokee when im in Florida. Youre experience has made me nervous.

Sounds like a bad time.
It was, but don't be nervous. I still stand behind mine 100 percent. She got us there an back in one piece. I have only had this XJ for 6000 miles and it was extremely neglected. I was actually able to get her up on a rack the other day and she is leaking everywhere. Axles, Engine, Tanny, Xcase... just a beat up old rusty Jeep! But I love her.

Florida doesn't have a lot of rusted out vehicles either as they don't salt there roads. Obviously.
XJ-JekL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2012, 10:31 PM   #34
XJ-JekL
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJcherokee95 View Post
I just drove from south Fl to Parkersburg Wv in my 95 xj. It did amazing even with a slight rod knock in the bottom end. It has 259,563 miles on it now the trip was about 1000 miles. I just stopped every now and then and let it "relax" just keep an eye on temp and oil pressure and you should be just fine.
Yeah, the way down there was non-stop 75 mph or better. she didn't like that. the way back was a lot smoother!
Unread 03-26-2012, 10:32 PM   #35
XJ-JekL
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DullesJeep View Post
Holy crap man, sounds like you are having a bad time.
And I thought trying to install a bigger alternator and route a serpentine belt in the dark was bad...

So much for my "you should be in shape for a good trip" post.
It's okay man, you gave your best guess via information I gave you over the internet LOL. And routing a belt in the dark I can only imagine.
Unread 03-26-2012, 10:59 PM   #36
ZJeepMI
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Dang that's crazy! I'd be real upset about problems like that. Makes me a little nervous about my recently purchased Jeep that had some pretty old nasty oil in it. I have to wonder how the rest of the Jeep was maintained. Is yours all fixed now?
1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2" lift, 31's, V8, NP242...
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Stock, 230K miles.
ZJeepMI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2012, 08:51 AM   #37
XJ-JekL
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJeepMI View Post
Dang that's crazy! I'd be real upset about problems like that. Makes me a little nervous about my recently purchased Jeep that had some pretty old nasty oil in it. I have to wonder how the rest of the Jeep was maintained. Is yours all fixed now?
Honestly man, I don't think my Jeep will ever be ALL fixed But, she is drive-able. I stopped at the hardware store and got a nut for the sway bar end link already. The exhaust was a 4 dollar fix. Bought some tape from the Zone and my buddy had a 2 1/4" clamp laying in his garage brand new. Performance part too not that it matters. The big oil leak and tranny leak as well as the CTS were all fixed Florida. She's still a leaky ol' 4.0 though. I'm waiting until I have the cash for new springs before I do the rear shocks. And before that I should probably address the MAP sensor that keeps shorting out. I've been taking it easy on her and getting rides to work with the g/f (work at the same place, with similar shifts).

Here is a list of what I still need for this old lady;

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/m...-list-1303274/

I haven't updated it in forever, lack of pictures is the big reason. But I may do that in a hour or two. My buddy STILL hasn't emailed me my pictures! GRRR

Two people now have have stated their apprehensions about buying an XJ, or a recently purchased XJ. All I can say is, do your research on the specific vehicle. I know one thing, I won't buy another car from a lot without a Carfax. Ever. Jeeps are LEGENDARY vehicles but even Nimitz class carriers rust out and will eventually need no-so-routine maintenance. Good luck and happy huntin'!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.