1,500 mile road trip in '95 - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > 1,500 mile road trip in '95

Advance Adapters SYE Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955

Unread 03-05-2012, 11:44 PM   #16
DerMeister
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Well hopefully you mpg increases. You should be able to get 20mpg or 21mpg at 65mph.

Try some techron or Lucas fuel injector cleaner.

Id also do all new fluids underneath, inspect U-joints to add to the list. Check tranny, power steering and brake fluid. Check lugnuts.

Make sure you drive it around home as much as possible before the trip after you replace things in case you screw something up. Youre better off finding out 5 miles from home, than being broke down 500 miles away because of new part failure or you doing something wrong.

DerMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2012, 11:49 PM   #17
DerMeister
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Also you wont "shock" your tranny by changing the fluid as long as its half-way decent.

Itd probably have to be REALLY bad for anything to happen. Its just as easy as an oil change unless you drop the pan.
Unread 03-06-2012, 12:42 AM   #18
islandsnow
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Add roadside assistance to your insurance if you don't have it already.
islandsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2012, 12:44 AM   #19
Billy
Unlimited Ammo

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Post pics!!!!

Twitter @dutchoven86
Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2012, 06:15 AM   #20
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandsnow View Post
Add roadside assistance to your insurance if you don't have it already.
X2. AAA premium towing (100 miles) is $80 a year. I put myself on it a few times because it was cheaper than the tow (while I was having issues with the CPS)
Unread 03-06-2012, 04:47 PM   #21
sega2010
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Took a road trip to Birmingham AL in my jeep a couple weekends ago. about 1800 miles round trip. Spent a total of $438 for gas. My jeep did awesome and I did no preparation for it. Just took off and went.
sega2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2012, 10:42 PM   #22
XJ-JekL
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Sorry for the late response guys. I turned 21 last Wednesday. I got off work Tuesday and a bunch of my friends showed up at the bar to get me trashed. About 12 shots of James, Jack and Jager in I blacked out. But it gets better, I proposed to my girlfriend, Threw up in her car and all over my bedroom floor. I then, woke up at 7 a.m. and walked to the laundry basket full of folded clean clothes...and proceeded to piss in it. My girlfriend was getting up for school and witnessed it all. She even posted it on FaceBook. I was supposed to work on the Jeep this Wednesday but I didn't wake up until 6 p.m. and didn't get off the couch until 9...

So yeah... no time for the Jeep.

Pics are coming soon. The newfound puppy decided chew through my data cable for the camera... and the iron, alarm clock, AC power cord (bigas* window unit) and my phone charger.

X2 on fuses and AAA
I plan on checking all U-Joints and greasing EVERYTHING THAT MOVES. Don't know if I'll have the money/time for the water pump. I know they're only like 50 bucks but the weather has been SH*T! Rained all day today. Plus, I get to do this all on one paycheck. Also the only money I'm taking to spend. On the plus side, I don't think I'll be spending a lot of money of booze.
XJ-JekL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2012, 10:44 PM   #23
XJ-JekL
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerMeister View Post
Also you wont "shock" your tranny by changing the fluid as long as its half-way decent.

Itd probably have to be REALLY bad for anything to happen. Its just as easy as an oil change unless you drop the pan.
I've dropped a tranny pan before and changed filters on an even higher mileage XJ. But IF anything does happen, I'm SOL. Although it would be a good reason to get an AX-15
Unread 03-08-2012, 10:58 PM   #24
XJ-JekL
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durt_Diver View Post
moab is sweet, check out ericsxj trail ride

http://ericsxj.com/moab/moab.htm
Read the whole thing
Unread 03-08-2012, 11:14 PM   #25
Durt_Diver
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ-JekL View Post
Read the whole thing
i've probably read it like 10 times

March 2012 COTM
Durt_Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2012, 12:20 AM   #26
islandsnow
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sega2010 View Post
Took a road trip to Birmingham AL in my jeep a couple weekends ago. about 1800 miles round trip. Spent a total of $438 for gas. My jeep did awesome and I did no preparation for it. Just took off and went.
That's where I currently live, hope you enjoyed the city.
Unread 03-24-2012, 10:51 AM   #27
XJ-JekL
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Well, I never updated before I left. Sorry guys! No pics yet either, my buddy never emailed them to me. (he has a much better camera) we just got back to Cleveland last night so I have a lot to do obviously so I'll keep this short and to the point.

2050 miles total.
130 gallons of gas (480 bucks)

So about 700 miles in, (right before the GA border) I started pouring oil onto my cat, smoke was billowing EVERYWHERE! Transmission fluid was leaking onto my cross member as well. Not as bad as the oil, but bad.
50 miles later, I pull into a gas station to buy some oil and ATF (they only had Type A and F...) So I top off the oil and go to start her back up. No start. Orange light of death comes on. I do the turn key trick, code 34. Pop the hood and look at the MAP sensor..looks fine to me. So I giggle the cord and check for vacuum leaks and nothing. Turn key, crank crank crank, START. *whew* Alrighty then...back on the road.

200 miles later in Alabama I get pulled over for excessive use of the left lane. (WTF?) At this point my Jeep is smoking so bad that the officer kindly asks me to pull my vehicle off of the grass, as to not start a fire -.- He asks me if I shut if off, will it crank again? Of course I say no. So he hands me my ID back and says to have a safe trip.

We finally make it to PCB and I take it right to my Aunts shop.
The damage on the way down there;
Oil filter O-rings
Head gasket
Coolant temp sensor
MAP sensor
and the best, I was leaking tranny fluid because my transmission had been removed before and they said the bolts were only hand tight... WTF YOU LAZY PREVIOUS OWNER...I hate you. Anyways, I don't know what it cost because she wouldn't tell me.

Intermission, le partay en PBC.

On the way back I lose a sway bar end link bolt. (Huh?)
Blower motor
Both rear shocks

Had to wrap this up real quick guys, been gone for a week and the fiance just got here. Duty calls
Unread 03-24-2012, 11:38 AM   #28
islandsnow
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Lol wow man, pulled over for excessive use of using the left lane? That's I new one, been living here on and off for 22 years, sounds like he made that crap up.
Unread 03-25-2012, 10:46 AM   #29
XJ-JekL
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandsnow View Post
Lol wow man, pulled over for excessive use of using the left lane? That's I new one, been living here on and off for 22 years, sounds like he made that crap up.
I've actually been pulled over for that before in my home state of Ohio. It was 4 am and I was in a car full of teenagers flying down I-71 headed to Mt.Vernon.
My Aunt told me it was an Ohio ticket. Just a reason to pull me over, that's all.

So, back to the Jeep. Last night, after I got off work at 3:30am, I'm pulling out of the parking lot and hear;

BANG POP FLOP FLOP FLOP FLOP FLOP GRIIIIIIIIIIND

My first thought was a snapped a U-Joint and my DS was flopping around down there. Stopped the brakes and hoped out. Turns out my entire exhaust (less the manifold) decided it didn't want to be attached to the Jeep anymore. *sighs* at least it's an easy fix...

Pics will be posted at 4am eastern tonight.
Unread 03-25-2012, 07:59 PM   #30
DerMeister
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Wow, I was planning on picking up another cherokee when im in Florida. Youre experience has made me nervous.

Sounds like a bad time.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.