1,500 mile road trip in '95 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > 1,500 mile road trip in '95

Jeep Liberty Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontSAVE BIG: Christmas in July Sale!Jeep Liberty Window Regulator

Reply
Unread 03-04-2012, 11:46 PM   #1
XJ-JekL
Registered User
1995 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cleveland, Oh
Posts: 200
1,500 mile road trip in '95

I'm about to take my '95 Sport down to Panama City for spring break. Coming from Cleveland, doorway to doorway, about 1,500 miles.

Okay, searched extensively came up with this list of what I should do, and need to bring.

Oil Change
Air filter
Fuel filter
Radiator flush
Replace water pump (195k on it)
All coolant hoses
Thermostat
Grease ALL wear parts
Inspect brakes
New belt
Plugs and wires
Check tires/rotate
DETAIL (it's covered in mud and smells like my dog)

Things I should bring
Spare tire
Old belt
First aid
Flashlight
Tools
Full size jack/stand
Coolant
Oil
Tranny fluid

I'm not touching the transmission because I have no service record for it and don't want to "shock" it.

Anything else? I'm trying to keep it under 200 bucks total.

XJ-JekL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2012, 12:12 AM   #2
Muddy97Cherokee
Registered User
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mustang, Oklahoma
Posts: 635
Might as well fly, cause the amount you spend on gas is going to exceed the cost to fly.
__________________
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/muddy97cherokees-build-thread-1318554/"][SIZE="5"][FONT="Arial"][COLOR="Blue"]Build Thread[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/URL]

[URL="https://www.facebook.com/groups/295467847240084/"][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Lime"][COLOR="SeaGreen"][FONT="Arial"]Oklahoma Unibody Jeepers[/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[URL="http://okjeepers.com/"][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Yellow"][FONT="Arial"]Oklahoma Jeepers[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

-Zack
Muddy97Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2012, 12:20 AM   #3
XJ-JekL
Registered User
1995 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cleveland, Oh
Posts: 200
I don't have to pay for gas. The joy of tag-alongs. It'll be about $5-600 total. $70 for a fill up, 250-300 miles to tank at 66mph the whole way. It's stock I sure hope 17 gallons of gas will take me 300 miles anyway, if it didn't that would be >15 highway and I average about <12 city.
XJ-JekL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2012, 12:29 AM   #4
DullesJeep
Registered User
1995 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Dulles, VA
Posts: 235
Check your trans fluid level to make sure that it's perfect before the trip. Not overfull, not under, perfect. I've had a cross country trip end up in failure because of an overfull and overheating trans, trust me, it's not pretty.
Other than that, short of attacking road gremlins, or other stuff deciding to quit on you, you should be in good shape for a good trip.
__________________
It's a Jeep thing. Sometimes I don't even understand.
DullesJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2012, 12:41 AM   #5
XJ-JekL
Registered User
1995 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cleveland, Oh
Posts: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by DullesJeep View Post
Check your trans fluid level to make sure that it's perfect before the trip. Not overfull, not under, perfect. I've had a cross country trip end up in failure because of an overfull and overheating trans, trust me, it's not pretty.
Other than that, short of attacking road gremlins, or other stuff deciding to quit on you, you should be in good shape for a good trip.
That's the plan! Wish it was a manual...
XJ-JekL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2012, 12:53 AM   #6
Durt_Diver
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Rochester Hills, MI
Posts: 2,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy97Cherokee View Post
Might as well fly, cause the amount you spend on gas is going to exceed the cost to fly.
not if youre driving with others. driving solo you would be right.

if your xj is in alright condition, i wouldn't worry about it too much. i drove my 98 2000 miles from detroit to moab to provo and didn't worry about a thing. had 190xxx at the time too.
__________________
Jacob - open axle king

March 2012 COTM
Durt_Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2012, 12:56 AM   #7
XJ-JekL
Registered User
1995 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cleveland, Oh
Posts: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durt_Diver View Post
not if youre driving with others. driving solo you would be right.

if your xj is in alright condition, i wouldn't worry about it too much. i drove my 98 2000 miles from detroit to moab to provo and didn't worry about a thing. had 190xxx at the time too.
That's what I like to hear!

BTW, is moab worth the drive from the midwest? I've heard a
lot about it!
XJ-JekL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2012, 02:00 AM   #8
Durt_Diver
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Rochester Hills, MI
Posts: 2,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ-JekL View Post
That's what I like to hear!

BTW, is moab worth the drive from the midwest? I've heard a
lot about it!
yeah, i would take care of any problems, and be prepared with regular stuff like a bit of coolant and oil. but other than that you should be good.

moab is definitely worth the trip. idk if it is for a stock jeep but the trails down there are SWEET.
__________________
Jacob - open axle king

March 2012 COTM
Durt_Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2012, 08:30 AM   #9
XJ-JekL
Registered User
1995 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cleveland, Oh
Posts: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durt_Diver View Post
yeah, i would take care of any problems, and be prepared with regular stuff like a bit of coolant and oil. but other than that you should be good.

moab is definitely worth the trip. idk if it is for a stock jeep but the trails down there are SWEET.
Bringing a gallon+ of each.

The build starts this summer was thinking about 2013. Might even wait a few years because I'd like a dedicated trail rig at least 3 years out of college. Next vehicle purchase will be a tow rig.
XJ-JekL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2012, 10:23 AM   #10
Durt_Diver
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Rochester Hills, MI
Posts: 2,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ-JekL View Post
Bringing a gallon+ of each.

The build starts this summer was thinking about 2013. Might even wait a few years because I'd like a dedicated trail rig at least 3 years out of college. Next vehicle purchase will be a tow rig.
moab is sweet, check out ericsxj trail ride

http://ericsxj.com/moab/moab.htm
__________________
Jacob - open axle king

March 2012 COTM
Durt_Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2012, 01:02 PM   #11
cake
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Durango, CO
Posts: 81
you could do 50% of moab on a stock jeep and the right skills.
cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2012, 01:21 PM   #12
Durt_Diver
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Rochester Hills, MI
Posts: 2,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by cake View Post
you could do 50% of moab on a stock jeep and the right skills.
youre right, but someone shouldn't make the trip from out east if they are doing the trails for stock rigs.
__________________
Jacob - open axle king

March 2012 COTM
Durt_Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2012, 01:30 PM   #13
Ratrod
Registered User
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Lynden, Washington
Posts: 292
fuses, wiper blades, tarp.
__________________
1996 RHD XJ
Ratrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2012, 03:20 PM   #14
TheAquatard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Coram, New York
Posts: 107
I would really spend a whole day looking over every part of the car. No matter how good I think my 01condition is, something always breaks. Last night my wheel cylinder blew, it's small stuff like that thats going to break. I was left stranded miles away from my house for hours because a 10 dollar part broke. Annoying. I'd really look over everything good, especially since yours is 17 years old.

I've only taken my jeep on two 300 mile road trips, no problems. But that really isn't saying much.
TheAquatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2012, 09:42 PM   #15
DullesJeep
Registered User
1995 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Dulles, VA
Posts: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAquatard View Post
I would really spend a whole day looking over every part of the car. No matter how good I think my 01condition is, something always breaks. Last night my wheel cylinder blew, it's small stuff like that thats going to break. I was left stranded miles away from my house for hours because a 10 dollar part broke. Annoying. I'd really look over everything good, especially since yours is 17 years old.

I've only taken my jeep on two 300 mile road trips, no problems. But that really isn't saying much.
There's a solution to that, and that is: carry a ton of spares of every off the wall part you can think of.

You're absolutely correct however, it's always the stupid stuff that you least expect that breaks when you're about 150 miles south east of the corner of nowhere and nothing. Not much you can do in those situations, but hey, what's a road trip without a little excitement, huh?
__________________
It's a Jeep thing. Sometimes I don't even understand.
DullesJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.