01 XJ Sport spark plug recommendations? - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > 01 XJ Sport spark plug recommendations?

Bilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 10-22-2013, 11:39 PM   #91
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

That Kolak ignition stuff for 99 & earlier 4L is very interesting. I wish I'd heard of it before my last tune up on my 99 XJ.

Is an MSD coil better than a Borg Warner? Does it matter?

Are Magnecore wires better than Borg Warner? Does it really matter?

Does that Kolak kit improve gas mileage more than a standard tune-up? If you believe so Mschi, please post it in the gas mileage thread.

Unread 10-23-2013, 12:32 AM   #92
DanTreE
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
I've owned 3 Jeeps with 4L engine. Two used Jeeps and one brand new. All three magically and rapidly used or lost oil when I put in 6 qts. Once oil down to 5.5 qts they don't use or lose oil.

So now I only put in 5.5 qts at oil change and no oil loss ever occurs.

I don't think 6 qts is necessary or a good idea.

On another note, I don't like additives that change viscosity, but I do like a little ZDDP additive. I use 2 table spoons of GM engine engine assembly oil added to my motor oil. I did the math based on PPM specs and it gives ideal ZDDP level of PPM with my motor oil.

Lucas also makes an enrichment additive that does the same, but costs way more.

I do like Lucas products (even though I use Mobil One and GM additive), including Lucas motor oil and Lucas ZDDP enrichment additive, but I'd never use their stabilzer product if it alters viscosity. I wouldn't use any viscosity increasing products of any brand.

P.S. - the oil pressure is same with 5.5 or 6 qts. I never been at 5 qts.
That's why I went with Pennzoil High Mileage. It was the only oil I could find at aap with the ZDDP still. Next oil change I will plan and order maybe royal purple or something good. I went with the KnN filter and usually use it or mobil 1 filter. Depending what they have. I may go after the lucas ZDDP now.

Thanks. As for pressure and oil amount. Exactly 4 quarts and 32oz lucas has me at full.. And if a PSI of 50 is good.. Well I'm greeeat lol

PS;: stick with the CHampion Copper Tops.. Jeeps love em

I owned 3 jeeps, unfortunatly the other 2 had dummy lights
~ Ain't not place to Jeep like a New York Street ~
DanTreE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 05:06 AM   #93
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
Does that Kolak kit improve gas mileage more than a standard tune-up? If you believe so Mschi, please post it in the gas mileage thread.
I don't believe the kit has any significant impact on mpg. Some make that claim, but I don't.

The effects of the kit are a consistent, cooler spark that provides room for the flame kernel and leads to a clean burn. I just don't see how that could possibly translate to any significant mpg increase. Other than that, the kit is about quality/longevity and reliability.
Unread 10-23-2013, 07:30 PM   #94
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTreE View Post
That's why I went with Pennzoil High Mileage. It was the only oil I could find at aap with the ZDDP still. Next oil change I will plan and order maybe royal purple or something good. I went with the KnN filter and usually use it or mobil 1 filter. Depending what they have. I may go after the lucas ZDDP now.

Thanks. As for pressure and oil amount. Exactly 4 quarts and 32oz lucas has me at full.. And if a PSI of 50 is good.. Well I'm greeeat lol

PS;: stick with the CHampion Copper Tops.. Jeeps love em

I owned 3 jeeps, unfortunatly the other 2 had dummy lights
50 psi at full op temp idling while in drive is to much oil pressure, IMO.

Good psi is 20 to 35 psi, IMO, though many say 13 psi is enough. The owners manual says 13 psi is enough. Mine has 35 psi, but that is higher than most. I mean at full op temp, idling, in Park.

GM ZDDP additive is by far the cheapest good option. Just as good as Lucas ZDDP additive, but GM way less money per oil change.
Unread 10-23-2013, 07:34 PM   #95
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
I don't believe the kit has any significant impact on mpg. Some make that claim, but I don't.

The effects of the kit are a consistent, cooler spark that provides room for the flame kernel and leads to a clean burn. I just don't see how that could possibly translate to any significant mpg increase. Other than that, the kit is about quality/longevity and reliability.
In the gas mileage thread a long time ago Newtons mentioned something about upgraded ignition parts and wider spark plug gap for hotter spark, more efficient burn, and better gas mileage. But he never mentioned specific parts to get.

What you've done, IMO, is provided a specific recipe to do what Newtons was talking about.

If you don't post that Kolak tune up kit info to gas mileage thread, I will post it there as a recommended tune up that might improve gas mileage, and then some enterprising person will test it and report on results. I believe it might help gas mileage because it fits right in with what Newtons said about better ignition and wider spark plug gap.
Unread 11-01-2013, 07:03 PM   #96
zaxfire69
2001 XJ Cherokee 

So far the NGK plugs are doing great! I filled up and I think in will get close to 300 Miles out of this tank. Usually out around 225 miles. The Jeep runs cooler around 190 F unless you stay idling for an extended period. With the old platinum plugs it ran at 210 F mostly all the time. I'll leave them in. See how it does over the winter. Still have to find this oil leak I have and pray it isn't my rear main seal. I'm going to replace valve cover gasket and oil filter adapter and see if that fixes it.
zaxfire69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2013, 07:22 PM   #97
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaxfire69 View Post
So far the NGK plugs are doing great! I filled up and I think in will get close to 300 Miles out of this tank. Usually out around 225 miles. The Jeep runs cooler around 190 F unless you stay idling for an extended period. With the old platinum plugs it ran at 210 F mostly all the time. I'll leave them in. See how it does over the winter. Still have to find this oil leak I have and pray it isn't my rear main seal. I'm going to replace valve cover gasket and oil filter adapter and see if that fixes it.
Can't go wrong with NGK.

Ever read this?

I'd be looking up ABOVE first, and VERIFYING the source of the oil leak YOURSELF.

Everybody, who doesn't own or have to pay for or perform your vehicle repairs, loves to poke their noggin UNDER the Jeep and come out bearing the false bad news that your RMS is leaking.

Many mechanics, friends, people on Jeep forums who canít see your Jeep from where theyíre at, and good old Uncle Bob seem to enjoy telling you itís the rear main seal. Has a catastrophic ring to it, doesnít it?

A simple leak at the back of the valve cover or other source could produce the same symptoms. You donít need to be a mechanic to figure this out. If you have good eyesight and a dim flashlight, youíre good to go on your own. Don't jump on the RMS/oil pan gasket bandwagon right off the bat.

Almost any oil leak on your 4.0 is gonna drip from the RMS area for two simple reasons.

First off, the engine sits nose-up and any oil will run back to the RMS area. Secondly, the RMS area is also the lowest point on the engine. Simple physics and the old plumber's adage apply here. "***** flows downhill".

Valve cover gasket, oil pressure sending unit, oil filter adapter seals and distributor gasket, in that order, have to be eliminated as possibilities first.

Revised 02-26-2013

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
My Jeep Technical Photos

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/g/album/1725214
cruiser54 is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.