01 XJ Sport spark plug recommendations? - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > 01 XJ Sport spark plug recommendations?

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 10-22-2013, 05:58 PM   #76
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Read this:

http://web.archive.org/web/201009261...ucas/lucas.htm

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
Refresh*Connections*Before*Replacing*Components
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 06:09 PM   #77
DanTreE
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
I go on what I have tried and tested. I can drive my engine as hard as I can, hop out and check the oil.. no froth.. no change in engine heat.. Oil is the same color.

I guess maybe in littler gears with higher RPMS it whips more.. or maybe in the oil pump.. What Speed is the tests being run at? im sure I can whip almost anything to a foam at the right RPMS.

Either way this does not make me not want to use lucus. Matter of fact in my old 1.6DOHC HYUNDIA I ran ALL LUCUS. that's right.. Went to do an oil change found out Oil jugs were empty.. had a few jugs of lucus.. tossed it in and didn't do a thing until the next change.

Cars still runnin at 215k miles.
~ Ain't not place to Jeep like a New York Street ~
DanTreE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 06:10 PM   #78
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTreE View Post
I can read that post every day all day. I can drive my engine as hard as I can, hop out and check the oil.. no froth.. no change in engine heat.. Oil is the same color.

I guess maybe in littler gears with higher RPMS it whips more.. or maybe in the oil pump.. What Speed is the tests being run at? im sure I can whip almost anything to a foam at the right RPMS.

Either way this does not make me not want to use lucus. Matter of fact in my old 1.6DOHC HYUNDIA I ran ALL LUCUS. that's right.. Went to do an oil change found out Oil jugs were empty.. had a few jugs of lucus.. tossed it in and didn't do a thing until the next change.

To each his own.....

Unread 10-22-2013, 06:32 PM   #79
DanTreE
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
To each his own.....
Yeap.

Finding out though even on this forum you have people who want to press their beliefs on you. Ive been here reading these forums for almost 9 years.. I made a post the other day someone tried to complain about something that's been in my profile since day one.. OMG THIS IS AGAINST THE RULES!! I DONT BELEIVE IN IT..

Such BS.

Anyway.. ill add another quart or so of oil.. see if that changes my pressure.. I always thought 45-50 was too much. 40 was perfect in my old 87 Pioneer..
Unread 10-22-2013, 07:20 PM   #80
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

It's not a belief that keeps me away from Lucas. A belief is what keeps you using it, though. You can say that Lucas has never caused you any harm for as long as you've used it and ignore any objective results debunking its efficacy and/or demonstrating its inherent flaws, but can you prove that it has done you any good vs not using it? Just because you haven't had any Lucas-related problems doesn't mean its been doing you any good; it's just been wasting your money. If you're not happy with your oil and/or your oil's base stock, then change oils. With today's oil technology and options, additives are rarely the way to go anymore and can actually cause harm.

Calling Lucas Oil Stabilizer an additive is stretching the truth anyway. Oil analyses have been performed on it and found that it is basically just pure 140 oil. When people use it and see higher oil pressures, they erroneously believe that Lucas has "fixed" something when all it has done is thickened their oil which isn't necessarily a good thing. Having no additives means that its presence also dilutes the additives in the motor oil being used. This is the reason Lucas causes foaming--Lucas's presence dilutes the oils anti-foaming agents and reduces their effect which allows foaming to occur.

Quote:
I always thought 45-50 was too much.
4.0 oil pressure should be no lower than 13 at hot idle and 37-75 at 1600+ RPM (according to 1999 FSM). Anywhere in that range is just fine. The dash gauge is very unreliable, and the only way to know oil pressure for certain is with a mechanical gauge.

I was the one that remarked about your catless exhaust. It again has nothing to do with belief, and while having a catless vehicle isn't against the rules, advocating/discussing cat removal is.

No one here is pressing beliefs on you. We're just trying to help, but because our information is conflicting with beliefs that you are reluctant to let go of, you're painting it as "Such BS" instead of researching and/or reevaluating.

Quote:
Matter of fact in my old 1.6DOHC HYUNDIA I ran ALL LUCUS. that's right.. Went to do an oil change found out Oil jugs were empty.. had a few jugs of lucus.. tossed it in and didn't do a thing until the next change.

We could probably run our 4.0s on something ridiculous like vegetable oil (or more seriously, Lucas or some other inappropriate oil) for an entire interval without anything serious happening either. That doesn't make it a good idea nor does it make whatever crazy oil that was used a sane option to be used repeatedly.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 07:29 PM   #81
DanTreE
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
It's not a belief that keeps me away from Lucas. A belief is what keeps you using it, though. You can say that Lucas has never caused you any harm for as long as you've used it and ignore any objective results debunking its efficacy and/or demonstrating its inherent flaws, but can you prove that it has done you any good vs not using it? Just because you haven't had any Lucas-related problems doesn't mean its been doing you any good; it's just been wasting your money. If you're not happy with your oil and/or your oil's base stock, then change oils. With today's oil technology and options, additives are rarely the way to go anymore and can actually cause harm.

Calling Lucas Oil Stabilizer an additive is stretching the truth anyway. Oil analyses have been performed on it and found that it is basically just pure 140 oil. When people use it and see higher oil pressures, they erroneously believe that Lucas has "fixed" something when all it has done is thickened their oil which isn't necessarily a good thing. Having no additives means that its presence also dilutes the additives in the motor oil being used. This is the reason Lucas causes foaming--Lucas's presence dilutes the oils anti-foaming agents and reduces their effect which allows foaming to occur.

4.0 oil pressure should be no lower than 13 at hot idle and 37-75 at 1600+ RPM (according to 1999 FSM). Anywhere in that range is just fine.

I was the one that remarked about your catless exhaust. It again has nothing to do with belief, and while having a catless vehicle isn't against the rules, advocating/discussing cat removal is.

No one here is pressing beliefs on you. We're just trying to help, but because our information is conflicting with beliefs that you are reluctant to let go of, you're painting it as "Such BS" instead of researching and/or reevaluating.
Funny you are the one I was talking about and you use the word WE'RE when its only you doing it. Real funny YOU KNEW it was you. I didn't push cat removal and its funny after all these years of my sig no one else claimed avocation but along comes you.. You trying for a mod spot? did you report it? try.. They might like you!

Its purely your belief you stay away. For every OMG LUCUS DONT WORK There is an OMG LUCUS DOES for every test OMG LUCUS Fails there is a OMG LUCUS WORKS test.

I go by what I have used. Experience not opinion. I go on what hasn't failed me. Its called doing your own research - trial by error. With todays oil and technology that isn't MEANT for older jeeps Ill be damned if I use any other "additives" for anything.

I have a feeling you are either young or just one of those people. Sorry for you. Please stop trolling me. I realize you don't have much else to do (cause you are the most active here) but if you got to be the girl who always picks a bicker.. the sky is blue no its grey.. id rather not have you as my beach.
Unread 10-22-2013, 07:31 PM   #82
DanTreE
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
4.0 oil pressure should be no lower than 13 at hot idle and 37-75 at 1600+ RPM (according to 1999 FSM). Anywhere in that range is just fine. The dash gauge is very unreliable, and the only way to know oil pressure for certain is with a mechanical gauge.
My pressure stays at 40 idle and about 50 running. Has never EVER changed in 7 years.. Im fine with it. I was just wondering if that 6th quart does anything
Unread 10-22-2013, 07:46 PM   #83
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Oh, back to the original topic of this thread:

I was recently reminded of the existance of Nick Ianuzzi's (Kolak) ignition kit. I had completely forgotten about him. Many pre-2000 4.0-users speak very highly of it. It is composed of Magnecore KV85 wires, an MSD ignition coil (I've also seem him use an Accel Super coil), Autolite platinum plugs (gapped to .040"), brass cap, and brass rotor all for a very fair price. The OP has an 01 and as such has a distributorless ignition, and I don't know what Kolak's offering is there, but if Kolak offers something, you can rest assured that it will work great.
Unread 10-22-2013, 07:49 PM   #84
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Oh, back to the original topic of this thread:

I was recently reminded of the existance of Nick Ianuzzi's (Kolak) ignition kit. I had completely forgotten about him. Many 4.0-users speak very highly of it. It is composed of Magnecore KV85 wires, an MSD ignition coil (I've also seem him use an Accel Super coil), Autolite platinum plugs (gapped to .040"), brass cap, and brass rotor all for a very fair price.
Never heard of it. Enlighten us. I'm tired of hearing the Lucas crap anyway. Except of course, your take on it. LOL.

Unread 10-22-2013, 07:54 PM   #85
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Never heard of it. Enlighten us. I'm tired of hearing the Lucas crap anyway. Except of course, your take on it. LOL.
Not sure what more there is to enlighten other than the product composition of it I've provided above. ZJ/WJ guys tend to be much more familiar with Kolak since he's a Grand Cherokee guy, but the 4.0 doesn't play favorites. Google him, and you'll find lots of info. The ignition kit gets credit for a little too much imo--a case of people thinking that restoration of lost performance from worn-out parts is an upgrade--but the kit really is worthy of respect for being composed of very high-quality and long-lived parts and for providing easy/quick starts and smooth idle. I recently did a tune-up, and I wish I had remembered him at the time; I would have used his kit.

I think Nick can still be reached at kolak@aol.com, kolak@kolakperformance.com, or I think his phone number is still 480-998-3661

He is also a Jeepforum Vendor. Here is a link to his JF profile: http://jeepspace.jeepforum.com/Kolak
Unread 10-22-2013, 07:54 PM   #86
DanTreE
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Im interested too..

Not in his take or your enjoyment of taking his take. In the Kit.
Unread 10-22-2013, 10:33 PM   #87
zaxfire69
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I used right at 6 Quarts. Hot idle is around 30 give or take and up around 50 psi when driving per the dash guage. The engine seems to like the new oil an filter. If I had a free 18 wheeler of gasoline at the house I would like it better..ALso if it were free that would help. On a real note I think next thing I am giong to focus on is the drivetrain:IE the Front Differential and the Rear Dif. Change fluid in those. Also..Look when I put this baby in reverse it sometimes makes a clunking noise like the driveshaft has slack in it. Like a clunk..I want that stuff under there TIGHT. What all do I need to look at to remedy this situation??
zaxfire69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 11:11 PM   #88
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
My pressure stays at 40 idle and about 50 running. Has never EVER changed in 7 years.. Im fine with it. I was just wondering if that 6th quart does anything
I've owned 3 Jeeps with 4L engine. Two used Jeeps and one brand new. All three magically and rapidly used or lost oil when I put in 6 qts. Once oil down to 5.5 qts they don't use or lose oil.

So now I only put in 5.5 qts at oil change and no oil loss ever occurs.

I don't think 6 qts is necessary or a good idea.

On another note, I don't like additives that change viscosity, but I do like a little ZDDP additive. I use 2 table spoons of GM engine engine assembly oil added to my motor oil. I did the math based on PPM specs and it gives ideal ZDDP level of PPM with my motor oil.

Lucas also makes an enrichment additive that does the same, but costs way more.

I do like Lucas products (even though I use Mobil One and GM additive), including Lucas motor oil and Lucas ZDDP enrichment additive, but I'd never use their stabilzer product if it alters viscosity. I wouldn't use any viscosity increasing products of any brand.

P.S. - the oil pressure is same with 5.5 or 6 qts. I never been at 5 qts.
Unread 10-22-2013, 11:28 PM   #89
DanTreE
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaxfire69 View Post
I used right at 6 Quarts. Hot idle is around 30 give or take and up around 50 psi when driving per the dash guage. The engine seems to like the new oil an filter. If I had a free 18 wheeler of gasoline at the house I would like it better..ALso if it were free that would help. On a real note I think next thing I am giong to focus on is the drivetrain:IE the Front Differential and the Rear Dif. Change fluid in those. Also..Look when I put this baby in reverse it sometimes makes a clunking noise like the driveshaft has slack in it. Like a clunk..I want that stuff under there TIGHT. What all do I need to look at to remedy this situation??
She never goes below 40 for me. She's pretty stable no matter what speed or time running. Right between 40 and 50 - per the dash .I leak a tiny bit, only know because I can see what's going on under the hood and below cause I do my own work. Rare to see an oil spot on the driveway and I don't notice much loss at the stick but I do see it lol. Maybe I miss a lot when I do a change

I had a friend that had an oil leak around the seal of what I'm guessing is the oil pressure sensor.. He removed it, put in a bolt and gorrilza glued it. He ran that jeep for 199k until he sold it at 225k. That thing would blow oil, eat oil, burn oil.. What ever he would just keep on top of it.. Lucas it.. Gear oil it.. The jeep just kept runnin.. On anything.. Who knows the PSI on it.

I once ran an 83 amc eagle with a 4.0 and what seemed to be a plastic valve cover.. I made it about 10 miles before smoke..15 before heave - 19 before I mean smmmoooookee.. Made it the 21st mile off the exit into a gas station with a stalled engine that would not crank. I was like **** it on the road I started cranking it so the starter would push the gear (manual not auto) and get me 10 feet.. Until even that didn't work.. I had no oi and everyone and everything said seized.. I asked the tow driver for a quart of oil and a jump - it fired up and ran.. I shut it off and owed it afterwards but point - she ran on nada and restarted on 1 quart.

As for your other issue I could have sworn they called that the Chrystler Clunk. I forget the issue or remedy but I do recall it'll run the rest of its life like that lol.
Unread 10-22-2013, 11:38 PM   #90
zaxfire69
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Ahh...Might need to grease the slip yoke again. I did this once several years ago and that fixed it. Might need to do that again as well.
zaxfire69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.