01 XJ Sport spark plug recommendations? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > 01 XJ Sport spark plug recommendations?

Jeep Liberty Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontSAVE BIG: Christmas in July Sale!Jeep Liberty Window Regulator

Unread 10-10-2013, 08:52 PM   #31
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Keep the NGKs...................

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
Refresh*Connections*Before*Replacing*Components
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 09:04 PM   #32
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Keep the NGKs...................
Too late now; he already ordered them. Maybe he'll be the exception, and the extravagant plugs will be just fine for him. I've stuck with the oem copper plugs because I couldn't ignore how clearly everyone screamed that they're the best no matter what else anyone has ever tried.

I'd never put a multi-ground plug into our ancient engine design (or any other engine not specifically calling for them...even then I might disobey and use a single-ground plug). Single-ground plugs last a very long time if checked and re-gapped periodically in a well-maintained engine, and I wouldn't be surprised if the multi-ground plugs would get in the way of combustion enough for the ol' 4.0 to notice and get grumpy about.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 11:05 PM   #33
zaxfire69
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I do know this. The Bosch Fusions were in it. #4508's....with the exception of the one Autolite Platinum....Not my doing.... Anyway they did fine..The only reason I changed them was to see if I could get rid of the small miss when the engine heated up to the 190-210 mark...HONESTLY it wasn't all that noticeable..Just a slight tick. Literally a slight tick...You could feel it when at idle. I knew they had not been changed in a LONG time, because the Jeep belonged to my Uncle before he passed away. I had it for about a year then he wanted it back. He let it sit up and just destroyed it. It served as a Chicken Roost for about a year..They didn't get inside...So he passed away and I ended up with the Jeep. I have been looking at everyone's post about the plug deal. The Fusions did fine..The only time it would get grumpy is when I was at Idle and it was around 210 and I cut the engine off...Then after about 5 minutes of it not running I would start it back up and the engine would act all kinds of crazy. Bucking and spitting and running poorly. Until I gave it a little throttle and it would clear up. Found this out picking kids up from school. So I took them out and put the NGK's in...I bought really cheap gas..Sprint Mart...LITTERALLY I drove a round trip from school back to our house around 22 miles and the gas guage would move one click..I don't know how many clicks are on the gas guage, but to me one click was crappy gas mileage. The Bosch never did this. So I bought gas there again...Same exact thing. Today I bought gas from another company and Drove the exact same trip and what do you know. The needle didn't move the entire trip there and back. SO I think the gas from Sprint Mart was crap. You guys know sometimes you get gas that burns faster than other brands...At least it does down here. The NGK plugs still did the same thing at Idle when I reached 210 and I shut down the engine. When it started back up it spit and sputtered for a couple of secs then it cleared up after I gave it a little gas. Hell I love my Jeep and I know it isn't a 2014 Chevy Silverado. It is going to Piss and Moan sometimes. Hell I do...No matter what plugs I stick with I will keep this Jeep till the wheels fall off...I can work on it..That is the main thing. Those new trucks you can hang it up with all the Electronic gizmo's and whistles. To heck with that. KISS=Keep It Simple Stupid: That is my motto. One of these days when I get rich and talk the ole lady into letting me spend some money I'm going to llft it and put some bigger tires on her..I have the Goodyear MTR's on it now. The old MTR's..235/75/15's....By the way...How big of a tire can I fit on my rims???
zaxfire69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 11:16 PM   #34
94ZJMFer
1994 ZJ 

I recommend using E3's, you should able to get them and your local speed shop.
94ZJMFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 11:22 PM   #35
zaxfire69
2001 XJ Cherokee 

What size tires can I run on these rims?
img_28782.jpg

Unread 10-11-2013, 06:54 AM   #36
cbenez1
1991 XJ Cherokee 

The rims are not the size limiting factor. The lack of lift will be. You don't want to go much over stock size of 225-75-15. Or you may have issues with rubbing flares and suspension. I ran 235's before my lifts so I know they clear. Of course after I post this there will be some who tell you they can fit 44's with just a little trimming.
cbenez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2013, 06:56 AM   #37
cbenez1
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94ZJMFer View Post
Oh boy..... I feel a spark plug debate creeping up on us.
Unread 10-11-2013, 07:53 AM   #38
zaxfire69
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I'm going to lift it when I can get some money up. Not going over 3.5 inches though. I don't know what kind of driveline issues I will encounter. I want to do it right the first time. I'm thinking all I want is some 31's . I like the rims I have and I don't want to spend money I don't need. If I could fit 31's on these rims I would keep them. If not Black M/T III's will be my next choice.
Unread 10-11-2013, 03:09 PM   #39
cbenez1
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaxfire69 View Post
I'm going to lift it when I can get some money up. Not going over 3.5 inches though. I don't know what kind of driveline issues I will encounter. I want to do it right the first time. I'm thinking all I want is some 31's . I like the rims I have and I don't want to spend money I don't need. If I could fit 31's on these rims I would keep them. If not Black M/T III's will be my next choice.
You can absolutely fit a set of 31x10.5's on those wheels.
Unread 10-11-2013, 05:03 PM   #40
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94ZJMFer View Post
Um...No.

At best E3s will do no better than cheap Copper plugs that cost about 1/4 the price. At worst they will melt and possibly damage your engine (E3s are made in China and quality control is poor, I have heard many cases of the electrodes melting, sometimes causing engine damage in the process), though poor idle, misses, etc. would be more likely.

While some people are "lucky" and their 4.0L I6 will run good on any plugs, most 4.0L I6s really hate multi-electrode plugs and don't run very well on them.
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2013, 07:00 PM   #41
zaxfire69
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbenez1
You can absolutely fit a set of 31x10.5's on those wheels.
Sweet..!!! I like these rims! Once these wear out I am going to fit another style of tires on it and lift it 3.5 inches. 31's.!!! WELL I have the Curts rack installed! Won't get the extension in until Tuesday. When it gets in I will pull it back off and install the extension! I made a video of the unboxing. I'll post that later!
Unread 10-18-2013, 12:25 PM   #42
zaxfire69
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I paid for 6 plugs...cost me $40.00....look how many I got!!!! Freaking 14 plugs! Get this. Each plug has a $4.00 mail in rebate. $4.00 x 14 is $56.00. I made $16.00 on this deal!

image-1971241912.jpg
Unread 10-20-2013, 08:46 PM   #43
Griff1918
Web Wheeler
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I just find it amazing on how the plug difference there in between to Cherokee and wrangler. In 2001 both used the same 4.0L motor but yet everyone swears by the autolite xr987 plug. But for the Cherokee everyone is saying the NGK/
Griff1918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2013, 09:10 PM   #44
Muddy97Cherokee
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff1918 View Post
I just find it amazing on how the plug difference there in between to Cherokee and wrangler. In 2001 both used the same 4.0L motor but yet everyone swears by the autolite xr987 plug. But for the Cherokee everyone is saying the NGK/
Wrong, XJ and TJ 4.0's were different. TJ's used the powertech 4.0.

[URL="https://www.facebook.com/groups/295467847240084/"][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Lime"][COLOR="SeaGreen"][FONT="Arial"]Oklahoma Unibody Jeepers[/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[URL="http://okjeepers.com/"][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Yellow"][FONT="Arial"]Oklahoma Jeepers[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

-Zack
Muddy97Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 06:59 AM   #45
zaxfire69
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I Have a BOSS 4.0!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.