01 XJ Limited First Time Build - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > 01 XJ Limited First Time Build

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-03-2013, 10:24 AM   #61
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerXJ View Post
Awesome!
Yeah I'm into the aggressive look, and kinda am on a budget
And yes! I mostly have my gf and buddies with me ahah! Thanks so much!
Running my 30.5 on stock ride height I was rubbing like mad with people in the jeep!

Unread 11-03-2013, 10:29 AM   #62
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke95 View Post

https://www.treadwright.com/p-9-31x1...arden-a-t.aspx or if you want something more agressive https://www.treadwright.com/p-117-31...m-t-b2b-c.aspx I run them in 265/75 on my cummins love em.
Also if it was me id go with
http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...egory_Code=PFX
or something like v8 zj coils
and some k1500 shackles. You seem to be on a budget so that is a simple way to get 2 inches of lift. And With people in your jeep you will thank me. Or if you wheel you will thank me.
Good suggestions Luke! Parker, since you say it would be on-road use mostly, you're after the look. Spacers are good for the look, but lack a little in performance. But for a budget-minded build, you could get into the game with tires, rims, spacers, and shackles for about $1500. Of course, most of that is rims and tires. But then you'd have the rims and tires out of the way to focus your next upgrade budget on a full-spring lift somewhere down the road.
As far as rims, find something YOU like in a 15", this will keep a fair amount of sidewall for trailing, and it will keep the tires affordable.
Ha, I gotta laugh here... Luke! Parker... happens to be my name
Unread 11-03-2013, 10:43 AM   #63
ParkerXJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Pleasure to meet you, Parker!
Yeah that's the plan, get rims and tires out of the way
So I should ditch my 16" rims when I get a new set of tires/rims?
Unread 11-03-2013, 10:56 AM   #64
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

You're not going to like the backspacing of your stock rims anyway. A wider tire on the stock rims will cause you a problem with the inside wall rubbing on the control arms. This likely leads to a failed inner sidewall and a loss in your turn radius.
Let's go over the two measurements you're gonna hear about. Offset is a metric measurement based on how far from center the mounting point is. My rims were offered in a +5 or -19. -19 is the one that makes them stick out.
Backspacing is the SAE that measures from the inner lip to the mounting surface. 4" bs would be dead center on a 15x8 (which is what you'll want for 31's). 25.?mm=1", my -19 offset translates to about 3.25" bs.
Unread 11-03-2013, 11:02 AM   #65
ParkerXJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Alright
And aftermarket rims will have the proper Bs? Last thing I'd want is shredding my tires on the control arms
I see a lot of people using Crager soft 8's
What's the importance of them are they worth getting?
Unread 11-03-2013, 11:14 AM   #66
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8NNG8

Good suggestions Luke! Parker, since you say it would be on-road use mostly, you're after the look. Spacers are good for the look, but lack a little in performance. But for a budget-minded build, you could get into the game with tires, rims, spacers, and shackles for about $1500. Of course, most of that is rims and tires. But then you'd have the rims and tires out of the way to focus your next upgrade budget on a full-spring lift somewhere down the road.
As far as rims, find something YOU like in a 15", this will keep a fair amount of sidewall for trailing, and it will keep the tires affordable.
Ha, I gotta laugh here... Luke! Parker... happens to be my name
If he is smart about it at a junkyard he could make off for $100 for exploder rims.... And no bs? That's funny!
Unread 11-03-2013, 11:22 AM   #67
ParkerXJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Bs as in backspacing

Exploder rims? You mean explorer?
Unread 11-03-2013, 11:25 AM   #68
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

So there's one catch to the exploder rims. Seriously, the hubs on an Exploder are a hair smaller than the XJ. It's so close, if you bolt them on, you will be pressing them on like your wheel studs, and fight hell getting them off! I used a dye grinder to open them up till they slide all the way on. It's not hard, but work it in full circles so you don't imbalance them. You can tell where you've worn through the clearcoat to keep track of where you've been. The front ones are the issue, the back will go on with no grinding. But do all four so you can rotate your tires.
Unread 11-03-2013, 11:26 AM   #69
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Bs as in backspacing

Exploder rims? You mean explorer?
Yes and Yes Luke meant no Bulls***, that's funny
Unread 11-03-2013, 11:30 AM   #70
ParkerXJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I know what h meant with the bs
Unread 11-03-2013, 11:39 AM   #71
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I know what h meant with the bs
I would say then if you already have 16s look at the treadwright 245/75 r16 or 265/75r16s! and just get a set of spacers off of the forum!
Unread 11-03-2013, 11:49 AM   #72
ParkerXJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Gotcha! One final question
How big of spacers? 1 1/2 - 2"?
Unread 11-03-2013, 11:53 AM   #73
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Eh, consider why people are selling them. The true wide look comes when you can get to 33's on 15x10's. I used to be real big on the wide look, but have come to like where I'm at.

2013-06-04_09-23-45_312-1.jpg

Even this tucked in, looks like this once you've got clearance.

2013-05-26_11-57-05_920-1-1-1-1.jpg

Wet weather leaves you with 20ft pinwheels if your out from under the flares.
Unread 11-03-2013, 11:59 AM   #74
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerXJ
Gotcha! One final question
How big of spacers? 1 1/2 - 2"?
Eh it really doesn't make a difference I'd stay to 1.5 if you need to modify the steering stops to keep em from rubbing that's easy.
Unread 11-03-2013, 12:26 PM   #75
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

If you give up turn radius, you're debilitating your abilities on the trail and off. I realize you're looking for a way to run your stock rims without being tucked in, but here's the other issue. If you put 31x10.50's on your narrow, stock rims, your tread will wear down the center cuz the tread will be arched like this U, which will half-life the tires. A 15x8 rim will lay the tread flat on the road like this L . Full road/tread contact disperses the weight/sq.inch. the tread will last much longer.
Do what you need/want to do, but be aware of these differentials.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.