01 XJ Limited First Time Build - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > 01 XJ Limited First Time Build

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 11-02-2013, 08:36 PM   #46
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerXJ
Gotcha! I'm a fan of your gfs rig, its more my DD style
If I was making an offroad only that'd be a different story
Either way both are very nice and clean looking rigs!
Whatd you do to your gfs? Just shackles or what?
Zj v8 coils and an xj xj bastard pack. Exploder rear shocks and ome 2 inch fronts. Rides very nice and the sway bar is still on up front.
Thanks man my rig was clean haha then New England happened. Mines more of an offroad toy now haha. But it has no problem riding up to mass from ct to wheel. Another note on wheeling. I have popped to many u joints and I have the bigger spicer joints so easy on the throttle!

If I had to do it again or had a clean slate I'd do it like this 31-32s on around an inch-2inch with a hitch and front tow hooks. Skid plates and have fun!

Unread 11-02-2013, 08:42 PM   #47
ParkerXJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I know what you mean, I'm from Maine
Found my rig, was a trade in, PO was first owner
Took great care of her, only 97k! Has a tow hitch already
But I'm going to lift her a bit and tint the windows
Did your gf have hers done by a pro or did PO get it done?
Look like the window tint is 35% back seats/cargo windows and hatch and 50% drivers and passengers

That's what I'm going to do anyway
Unread 11-02-2013, 08:54 PM   #48
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Don't know what your laws are, but in Montucky we are allowed 35% on the front doors and 20% from there back.
Unread 11-02-2013, 08:55 PM   #49
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerXJ View Post
I know what you mean, I'm from Maine
Found my rig, was a trade in, PO was first owner
Took great care of her, only 97k! Has a tow hitch already
But I'm going to lift her a bit and tint the windows
Did your gf have hers done by a pro or did PO get it done?
Look like the window tint is 35% back seats/cargo windows and hatch and 50% drivers and passengers

That's what I'm going to do anyway
POs PO did it. Not me haha. Do some front tow hooks and get some D rings and a strap.

Also I have a rear locker. If you are doing a DD id do a front locker like an aussie. I like my no slip but new it is like $400 haha.
Unread 11-02-2013, 09:00 PM   #50
ParkerXJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8NNG8 View Post
Don't know what your laws are, but in Montucky we are allowed 35% on the front doors and 20% from there back.
Ours is 50% all around
Nothing on windshield and you need a certificate stating its been tested and is 50%
But nobody has ever had a problem with it
All my friends have tints and nobody has been spoken to or whatnot
The law was from '85 sooo yeah ah
Unread 11-02-2013, 09:30 PM   #51
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

We are also allowed 6" on the top of the windshield or on the bottom, but not both.
Anyway, back to you lifting this Jeep. My experience with running 31's with no lift occurred cuz I would never be able to afford the lift, tires, and rims all in one bulk cost. I stole the tires from my Exploder, obviously. I had planned for the rims to be step 2, then the lift being step 3. But due to the stance of the rims, I had to lift it before they could be put on. I'd have ripped the flares off on flat ground just making a left turn out of the parking lot.
Unread 11-02-2013, 09:41 PM   #52
ParkerXJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Hmm, I was planning on doing rims/tires first
Then lift it
Maybe I should save up and just get it all in one go, so I don't end up ripping my flares off
Ill post some pictures of It tomorrow if I can and it'll better help you see and help me figure out it what to do
Unread 11-02-2013, 09:44 PM   #53
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerXJ
Hmm, I was planning on doing rims/tires first
Then lift it
Maybe I should save up and just get it all in one go, so I don't end up ripping my flares off
Ill post some pictures of It tomorrow if I can and it'll better help you see and help me figure out it what to do
Sounds good man!
Unread 11-03-2013, 05:23 AM   #54
ahar9
1994 YJ Wrangler 

For a dd I think the best route would be a 14 bolt rear 4 linked on coilovers and a dana 60 front true 3 link trim the fenders and run some 40 inch swampers. It would be a good balance of offroad ability and onroad ability.
Unread 11-03-2013, 06:16 AM   #55
Agility

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahar9
For a dd I think the best route would be a 14 bolt rear 4 linked on coilovers and a dana 60 front true 3 link trim the fenders and run some 40 inch swampers. It would be a good balance of offroad ability and onroad ability.
Yikes, you come from a place with pretty bad roads, huh?

Parker, I feel like no one ever starts with the rims and tires but that's the way to go. You'll figure out what you really need after that.
Agility is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 06:18 AM   #56
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahar9 View Post
I think you are on crack. jk jk

I honestly would say full withs are not an option for an every day driver were I live. The roads are just to ****ty and the laws to stringent.

I will eventually do full withs but I am not feeling it at this point in time.

I do know that the OP most likely has a LP dana 30 Sorry man they suck. And a 8.25 unless you have abs. If you have abs I feel sorry for you man, you will have a dana 35. You can make it live with a set of 33s and careful driving though. I love my 8.25 It has withstood me going full retard.

Not the most extreme stuff but its holding together extremely well.

So what are you looking at as far as lift options go?
Unread 11-03-2013, 08:38 AM   #57
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I think a good way of looking at it is "how much do you want maintenance to cost?" A set of 31's will cost about $800+-, a set of 33's(plus damage or upgrades) will run about $1000+.
My rig is on 31's and I love what it can do! I have a very rare platform I'm working with too (2dr sport, 4.0 HO, 5 spd, wing windows, power windows & locks, LSD D35). I have no intentions of rocking the hell out of it. I do have the wheeling virus though. If I had an average 4dr XJ that can be replaced with any other average 4dr XJ, I'd build the hell out of it. But I like to go play in the hills and be able to drive home saying "the Devil liveD!"
Unread 11-03-2013, 09:01 AM   #58
ParkerXJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah I'm going to stick with 31's
What tires and rims do you suggest (note for mainly highway driving and in town)
Unread 11-03-2013, 09:12 AM   #59
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerXJ View Post
Yeah I'm going to stick with 31's
What tires and rims do you suggest (note for mainly highway driving and in town)
https://www.treadwright.com/p-9-31x1...arden-a-t.aspx or if you want something more agressive https://www.treadwright.com/p-117-31...m-t-b2b-c.aspx I run them in 265/75 on my cummins love em.
Also if it was me id go with
http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...egory_Code=PFX
or something like v8 zj coils
and some k1500 shackles. You seem to be on a budget so that is a simple way to get 2 inches of lift. And With people in your jeep you will thank me. Or if you wheel you will thank me.
Unread 11-03-2013, 09:21 AM   #60
ParkerXJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke95 View Post

https://www.treadwright.com/p-9-31x1...arden-a-t.aspx or if you want something more agressive https://www.treadwright.com/p-117-31...m-t-b2b-c.aspx I run them in 265/75 on my cummins love em.
Also if it was me id go with
http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...egory_Code=PFX
or something like v8 zj coils
and some k1500 shackles. You seem to be on a budget so that is a simple way to get 2 inches of lift. And With people in your jeep you will thank me. Or if you wheel you will thank me.
Awesome!
Yeah I'm into the aggressive look, and kinda am on a budget
And yes! I mostly have my gf and buddies with me ahah! Thanks so much!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.