Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

01 XJ Limited First Time Build

6K views 109 replies 11 participants last post by  chris87xj 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all!
This is my first time posting and registering but ive been looking and searching the forums for a while now!
im looking to lift my XJ 3" to give it a more aggressive look
but my delima is that I dont know what I may end up needing to do
my jeep is my DD and when I can afford it will put 31s on it
not looking to do Off-road only, but have the option to
I will mainly be driving highway

I know I will need longer brake lines, new shocks/coils
but any suggestions on what I should buy/use?

NOTE: my XJ is STOCK

thank you! and have a great day! :thumbsup:

#73 ·
Eh, consider why people are selling them. The true wide look comes when you can get to 33's on 15x10's. I used to be real big on the wide look, but have come to like where I'm at.

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle registration plate Car

Even this tucked in, looks like this once you've got clearance.

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Land vehicle Automotive side marker light

Wet weather leaves you with 20ft pinwheels if your out from under the flares.

#75 ·
If you give up turn radius, you're debilitating your abilities on the trail and off. I realize you're looking for a way to run your stock rims without being tucked in, but here's the other issue. If you put 31x10.50's on your narrow, stock rims, your tread will wear down the center cuz the tread will be arched like this U, which will half-life the tires. A 15x8 rim will lay the tread flat on the road like this L . Full road/tread contact disperses the weight/sq.inch. the tread will last much longer.
Do what you need/want to do, but be aware of these differentials.

#76 ·
S8NNG8 said:
If you give up turn radius, you're debilitating your abilities on the trail and off. I realize you're looking for a way to run your stock rims without being tucked in, but here's the other issue. If you put 31x10.50's on your narrow, stock rims, your tread will wear down the center cuz the tread will be arched like this U, which will half-life the tires. A 15x8 rim will lay the tread flat on the road like this L . Full road/tread contact disperses the weight/sq.inch. the tread will last much longer.
Do what you need/want to do, but be aware of these differentials.
I disagree. Stock is around 7 inches wide this is the recommended wheel size for a 10.5 tire. And 15x8 is recommended for 12.5s.
As far as steering stops I disagree. My rear axle with a locker did far more than adding two washers to my steering stops did. That locker makes turns become major ordeals at times. Scrub radius mofos!

#77 ·
I disagree. Stock is around 7 inches wide this is the recommended wheel size for a 10.5 tire. And 15x8 is recommended for 12.5s.
As far as steering stops I disagree. My rear axle with a locker did far more than adding two washers to my steering stops did. That locker makes turns become major ordeals at times. Scrub radius mofos!
Tires of the same category, I.e.31x10.50's are not all the same dimensions. Not all are that tall, not all are that wide. My BFG/AT's did exactly what I described from being on the Exploder rims. In that case, why do I suggest them? The bs'ing of the Exploder rims was better than the stock Jeep rims, and are wider, but not quite a 15x8. The Exploder rims half-lifed that set of 31's, shot at about 20k. It really differs depending on the psi you run in 'em too. I run 'em tight(35-40psi) for better mpg. My current set is doing awesome on my 15x8's.

#78 ·
S8NNG8 said:
Tires of the same category, I.e.31x10.50's are not all the same dimensions. Not all are that tall, not all are that wide. My BFG/AT's did exactly what I described from being on the Exploder rims. In that case, why do I suggest them? The bs'ing of the Exploder rims was better than the stock Jeep rims, and are wider, but not quite a 15x8. The Exploder rims half-lifed that set of 31's, shot at about 20k. It really differs depending on the psi you run in 'em too. I run 'em tight(35-40psi) for better mpg. My current set is doing awesome on my 15x8's.
I see your probs I run my swampers at 25 it has a major effect haha.

#79 ·
Ya, I run the roads more than the trails, so it works. In years to come, I'll retire the XJ to trail duty. Probably 32" MTR's and at that point reduce the psi to 25-30. Perhaps even some steels with bead locks too.
Parker has described his driving habits as being similar to what I've been doing. He's also voiced that he'd like to keep the original style in shape by not trimming. So I don't think a LCOG setup will work for him.

#80 ·
Parker, if you don't mind a little messing around, I used rough country 3" springs and a 5/8 spacer in the front ,and new 3.5 " leaves in the rear. Then just re drilled the hole in front inner fenders and moved the rubber and hard lines down a couple inches. I also used JK rubI shocks front and rear, and wj lower control arms. I was going to put in my Jks adj t bar, but did the hole redrill... No issues. I was running 32x11.5's with 0 rubbing issues, even off-road. I did put in a t-case drop as I got a little bit of vibes. I have built and beat 4 jeeps. And this Xj is now my daily driver... After I wheeled it for a good year. No issues whatsoever ever. It was to nice to beat and make it a full time wheeler like I wanted to. So I sold my truck, and kept this... You don't need to make the thing a tank and throw a ton of cash at it.

#81 ·
S8NNG8 said:
Ya, I run the roads more than the trails, so it works. In years to come, I'll retire the XJ to trail duty. Probably 32" MTR's and at that point reduce the psi to 25-30. Perhaps even some steels with bead locks too.
Parker has described his driving habits as being similar to what I've been doing. He's also voiced that he'd like to keep the original style in shape by not trimming. So I don't think a LCOG setup will work for him.
DON'T JUDGE ME! I'm low and getting phat. Possibly going to 36s..... I like it but like I sad not a dd as much any more. My gfs rig would be perfect for him.

Keep In mind I have
$75 in coils
$10 in leafs
10$ steering
$200 in shocks
$190 in tb
$250 in a locker
$ 550 in tires and rims.
1285 total.
Ouch didn't need to do that math out.
My gf rig is
$100 lift and shocks $600 tires
$700 total.

#82 ·
DON'T JUDGE ME! I'm low and getting phat. Possibly going to 36s..... I like it but like I sad not a dd as much any more. My gfs rig would be perfect for him.
Not judging you. We've all got our own level to play at. I like your setup. We all have options we chose from and by knowing each other we can slightly experience what each setup can do. Like me, I've proven to many people that dp may or may not be for them;)

#85 ·
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/zips-2-0-my-98-a-1498978/#post15192783 This is my build take a look I have some good stuff in here.

Another thing is when you do what I do with out alot of unibody reinforcement you will start to get the dreaded unibody cracking. I have it in my doors but that is it thankfully! :thumbsup:
Also S8nng8 Take a pop over haha Id love some input from ya!

#88 ·

here she is! 2001 Jeep Limited XJ :D

what kind of idea's are you guys having?
im thinking different fender flares, and tinted windows

possibly remove the trim?
or paint the trim black

#91 ·
going to find some front/rear bumpers to put on it, black rims, black flares/trim/windows
I want to put a roof rack on it, with a light bar, and also lights on the front bumper
going to put D-rings on the front bumper for recovery, and just use the rear bumper for recovery off that

whats the LCOG wide stance? :eek:

#98 ·
ahar9 said:
Lcog in my opinion is the best route. More stable in every scenario and you can still have alot of clearnce at a lcog depending on skid plates and tires and whatnot.
Agree. Even an XJ with a 4.5" lift and 33s is barely higher than a stock jk Wrangler, although narrower.

#100 ·
Yeah like I said, ill go for the LCOG look, new rims, wheels, tint the windows, get front recovery system (a bumper with drings) then a roof rack and then lift 2-3"

That's the plan :thumbsup:

#103 ·
Ive got 33x11.5 that im going to put on my icons, cut n' fold the fenders, remove the side trim, trim the bumper and remove the caps

Any other suggestions? Possibly looking into a new front fender with either a bullbar or a stinger and add some lights

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.