01 XJ Build Thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > 01 XJ Build Thread

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJeep Tweaks at JeepHutSteering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 04-03-2010, 08:53 PM   #1
NotDirtyEnough
2001 XJ Cherokee 

01 XJ Build Thread

Hey guys, well I'm home sick with mono so I figured I'd make myself one of these build threads I've been seeing.

I bought this 01 Cherokee in the beginning of the summer (2009) with 98k on it. Had no intension of lifting it or wheeling it, simply bought it as a first car and something I could use to drive on the beach for surfing.

First pictures I took of it, Also first time 4 wheeling

Memorial Weekend 2009

Over fall and winter I fixed up a few things and added a few nic nacs here and there. I put in a new radiator to start, replaced the stock speakers with Inifiti Kappa Series Speakers, added 2 12'' Kicker CVR's w/ a Fosgate Amp, 6'' Off-Road Lights, Fog Lights and I built myself a roof rack.

Fall-Winter 2009
(Notice where I put my Light Switches) Haven't seen anyone else put any switches, east access and out of the way

After saving enough money and doing my research I decided it was time to give it some lift and some new shoes. Considering my tight budget and driving situation, school, work, beach, weekend wheeling, I decided what the right build would be for me. I decided on the 4.5 Rough County full-leaf pack. In my opinion, a solid kit and not too pricey. I was originally looking for mud terrain 33's. Nothing too aggressive though, keeping in mind that this truck is a DD. I happened to stumble across four 32x11.5x15 BFgoodrich a/t's with Crager soft 8's mounted on CL for 530. They had great tread, wheels were in good condition. I couldn't pass up a deal like that. Plus with the 32's I don't have to do much trimming and re gearing isn't necessary!

Lift being put in
March 2010

After

Hope you guys enjoy. Will be posting up some flex and wheeling pictures as soon as I can!

Next to come:
C4X4 Tow Hooks
Hitch w/ D-Ring
CB Radio
Hi Lift Jack
Spare
Tailbone

Stay frosty,
Kevin

Unread 04-03-2010, 09:16 PM   #2
Jeep89JV
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Too much plastic still existing after the lift . You get longer brake lines yet? They'll be restricting you a good few inches it looks.

Good lookin rig so far

[I][B]My Build Thread:[/B][/I][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/broke-kid-build-96-xj-1007038/[/url]

[B][I]New Mexico Driving Rules...[/I][/B][LIST][*]As a general rule, the vehicle most in need of a significant amount of bodywork (for which the driver is most likely uninsured) always has the right of way.[*]Never use directional signals when changing lanes. They only serve to give away your next move, causing most NM drivers to speed up and not let you in. In fact, use of directional signals within most large NM city limits is actual illegal.[*]NM law states that at least 50% of all paved surfaces within the state must be under construction at any one time. In all construction zones, at least half of the available lanes must be closed, regardless of whether any actual construction is be accomplished or not. Construction signs shall be regularly repositioned in order to warn drivers about upcoming lane closures immediately after they pass the last exit before traffic backups.
[*]Driving through constructions zones with upcoming lane closures is a popular game in NM. Itís called the "speed up and pass as many cars as you can, then see how close to the lane closure you can squeeze back into traffic before hitting any of the orange construction barrels" game.[/LIST]
Jeep89JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2010, 09:18 PM   #3
Jeep89JV
1996 XJ Cherokee 

One other thing to add man, noticed you got that blackout look goin.

A can of Rustoleum Krylon black on that faded cladding would be a good idea. Or just take the cladding off entirely

[I][B]My Build Thread:[/B][/I][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/broke-kid-build-96-xj-1007038/[/url]

[B][I]New Mexico Driving Rules...[/I][/B][LIST][*]As a general rule, the vehicle most in need of a significant amount of bodywork (for which the driver is most likely uninsured) always has the right of way.[*]Never use directional signals when changing lanes. They only serve to give away your next move, causing most NM drivers to speed up and not let you in. In fact, use of directional signals within most large NM city limits is actual illegal.[*]NM law states that at least 50% of all paved surfaces within the state must be under construction at any one time. In all construction zones, at least half of the available lanes must be closed, regardless of whether any actual construction is be accomplished or not. Construction signs shall be regularly repositioned in order to warn drivers about upcoming lane closures immediately after they pass the last exit before traffic backups.
[*]Driving through constructions zones with upcoming lane closures is a popular game in NM. Itís called the "speed up and pass as many cars as you can, then see how close to the lane closure you can squeeze back into traffic before hitting any of the orange construction barrels" game.[/LIST]
Unread 04-03-2010, 09:24 PM   #4
NotDirtyEnough
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Oh haha yeah don't you worry man a lot of that extra plastic crap will be coming off soon. Ive been stuck inside since last Tuesday, haven't got a chance to deal with that little just yet or even wheel it. Erg!!! I hate mono!!
Unread 04-03-2010, 09:33 PM   #5
lk123
1993 XJ Cherokee 

i really like the interior of the 97+ and like the all black
93 2wd pos xj sport *sold*
89 nissan 240sx *wrecked*-03 Cbr954rr *traded*
2nd 89 nissan 240sx *sold*
lk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2010, 12:29 AM   #6
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Lookin really nice man !!
Unread 04-12-2010, 11:06 AM   #7
NotDirtyEnough
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Exciting past two days..

Saturday me and my friends went out east (Long Island) and found my friend a YJ. Pretty good deal on it, he paid 2800, runs great, very little rust.

Sunday we rode around with the top off all day and took some pictures with my XJ.

Later that night a group of friends went out wheeling, first night out with the lift. Very happy with how everything went, flexed really nice but had a little rubbing on the wheel-well. Going to have to rip that out before I go out next. No pictures of the truck wheeling, was too busy but my friends wrangler got stuck bad on a nasty hill climb.

Heres the aftermath, pictures I took this morning

Enjoy
Unread 04-12-2010, 06:26 PM   #8
connor0770
1997 TJ Wrangler 

nice XJ.. reminds me of mine, but black and with a roof rack.

I bet it would look real nice if you took that side molding crap off!
97 TJ Dana 30 w/ARB Solid Cover, Currie 4" lift, Ford 8.8 w/ Riddler Cover, Currie Steering, Trail Gear Front Bumper, LOD Rear Tire Carrier, Smittybuilt XRC8, 35" KM2's, 5100 Bilsteins, Teraflex Oil Pan Skid, Poison Spider Sliders, Rock Lights etc.
connor0770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2010, 06:47 PM   #9
NotDirtyEnough
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah i figured id rip that off soon, whats the best way to go about it? hair dryer?
Unread 04-12-2010, 07:57 PM   #10
Jeep89JV
1996 XJ Cherokee 

The cladding comes off pretty easy. Its just stuck on there with some double sided adhesive tape.

Pull it off and then just get some adhesive cleaner(I've used the one by 3M) and use a soft plastic scraper.

Unread 04-13-2010, 09:39 PM   #11
NotDirtyEnough
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks Jeep89JV I'll be doing that this weekend, hopefully if the weather permits I'll be going door less as well
Unread 04-13-2010, 10:40 PM   #12
1990JEEPXJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

i love the blacked out look. and i would recommend as eraser wheel for removing the adhesive tape left over from the side trim. takes minutes and no effort. way easier than scrubbing and scraping

My POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Yea, and I thought it was one of the 11 Commandments:
11) Thou shalt love, cherish, and honor till death, thine square headlights above all other earthy things sayith the Lord.
1990JEEPXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2010, 11:09 PM   #13
connor0770
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotDirtyEnough View Post
Thanks Jeep89JV I'll be doing that this weekend, hopefully if the weather permits I'll be going door less as well
yea. i used goo gone to really help get that sticky crap off of it.. i found that the best technique is to just pick at it with your thumb and kinda roll the strips of tape over itself if that makes sense. your thumbs are going to hate you after this, but its worth it. ALSO DO NOT USE A BLADE.. you will take your clear coat off :
97 TJ Dana 30 w/ARB Solid Cover, Currie 4" lift, Ford 8.8 w/ Riddler Cover, Currie Steering, Trail Gear Front Bumper, LOD Rear Tire Carrier, Smittybuilt XRC8, 35" KM2's, 5100 Bilsteins, Teraflex Oil Pan Skid, Poison Spider Sliders, Rock Lights etc.
connor0770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2010, 11:53 PM   #14
Jeep89JV
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by connor0770 View Post
yea. i used goo gone to really help get that sticky crap off of it.. i found that the best technique is to just pick at it with your thumb and kinda roll the strips of tape over itself if that makes sense. your thumbs are going to hate you after this, but its worth it. ALSO DO NOT USE A BLADE.. you will take your clear coat off :
Yeah, the plastic scraper works well if you have one laying around, though just peeling it off with your fingers does work and then go over it with some adhesive cleaner and a cloth can do justice too.

Unread 04-14-2010, 09:47 AM   #15
NotDirtyEnough
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I think I'm just going to do it today or tomorrow, It's nice out and no work so why not. I'll throw pictures up when I'm done

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.