'00 XJ Headliner - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > '00 XJ Headliner

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 09-01-2013, 10:58 PM   #16
HiDefXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

And if you happen to have some left over dynamat, throw it on the ceiling then put the head liner back in.......made a HUGE noise difference!

HiDefXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2013, 09:51 AM   #17
Marsalad
1997 XJ Cherokee 

How would you prep the headliner board after removing the cloth material?
Unread 09-02-2013, 06:14 PM   #18
jakecarder
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I used a plastic scrapper. Like a dollar putty knife I had laying around and a real coarse sanding sponge. Then vacumed up the mess. Some spots were real easy and some spots like underneath the visors sucked.
jakecarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2013, 09:28 PM   #19
HiDefXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Just did mine. Went to Joannes fabric store with a sun visor and matched up the color.

Make sure you get an extra yard or two of fabric. Would suck to find out you under cut yourself. Also got 2 cans of the 3m spray glue. Rather have too much glue than not enough for this project.
Scrape off the old glue with a hand wire brush and vac up the mess. Then spray the glue liberally and allow to dry to a tack. Too little time and it will bleed through the sponge backing and to the liner. Do ft. X ft. Sections at a time and work your way out from the center if possible.
Also, wearing rubber gloves helped my hand slide easily over the surface of the material to matte it down without fear of staining with oils or catching the fabric with a nail or something. Just my .02.
Hardest part for me was the fact that I broke some trim clips while removing the trim. Had to jb weld them back in place and tape them still until the jb set.
Oh well, its all good now.
HiDefXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2013, 10:18 PM   #20
PaYankee
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenXJ
I was thinking about taking out the headliner in my Jeep and painting the top flat black, but didn't know how it was gonna look and was trying to get some opinions. Thanks.
I pulled mine out and painted it black with truck bed liner spray. It looked alright everywhere except for where the headliner board had 3 foot deep scratches that you could see down the side. I would not recommend painting it. It was pretty redneck and smelled awful. I recommend redoing it with grey foam backed fabric from Joann's fabric. Be sure to use a coupon otherwise it is expensive. You need 3 yards and that leaves about a foot on each end extra. I do not recommend getting the black fabric, every dirt spec and hair shows and it looked dirty. Grey is much better. For glue, I used 2 cans of 3m 77 from Walmart. I redid my headliner for the second time about two years ago and it has not fallen anywhere and that is with Atlanta heat. The first time I redid my headliner I used 3m 90 and it was more expensive and bled through. The 3m 77 will stink for two weeks so get ready for that. FOLLOW the instructions for letting the glue get tacky or you will regret it. The fabric will fall in spots if you do this wrong. I divided the board into three sections when I was glueing and smoothing the fabric down. When you smooth down the fabric DO NOT press down hard. All it takes it a light smooth slide across the fabric and up the side. Don't press hard or you will see indentations where you did, especially on the sides. Have fun getting the headliner board out out. I recommend having another person to help you with the removal and putting it back in place. Good luck.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.