00 XJ Build "Green Goblin" DD - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > 00 XJ Build "Green Goblin" DD

New! JK/U skid plate system.FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-03-2015, 05:34 PM   #1
JeepSki17
2000 XJ Cherokee 

00 XJ Build "Green Goblin" DD

Decided to come out of my lurking phases and finally post a build thread for the xj. Since I'm a broke college student this build isn't going to fly by, but I'm working on getting a second job to reel in some extra dough to put into the heep

Bought it in June of 2014 with 117k on the clock. All stock.

Flowmaster Super 44 exhaust and sub/amp/head unit install during last summer

Also did my water pump, thermostat, and lower rad hose

Plans for the near future include a 3" lift with rubicon express coils for the front and s-10 bastard packs for the rear. Should be throwing some 31s on too with a new set of wheels. I plan to give it a nice stance while still retaining its DD duties because its the only vehicle I have for the time being.

Stay tuned for more

JeepSki17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2015, 03:37 PM   #2
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Nice Jeep, I'm digging the green. Looks like you will be going a similar route to what I did with my Jeep. Mine is my only vehicle, used it to commute to college and it currently has a 2" and 30s on it.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2015, 03:03 PM   #3
V1GiLaNtE

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Smart man doing maintenance first then mods. You will thank yourself later.

If you're trying to build a budget 3" lift you're totally doing it right. Might want to consider shocks at that height. JK Rubicon shocks work perfectly and you can easily pick them up for the cheap when those guys are upgrading! Add in some Rough Country Bar Pin eliminators while you're in there so if you ever go bigger swapping shocks will be a breeze! Not to mention you'll gain an extra inch in shock down travel!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/i...ite-up-603221/
V1GiLaNtE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2015, 08:28 PM   #4
JeepSki17
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepkid03 View Post
Nice Jeep, I'm digging the green. Looks like you will be going a similar route to what I did with my Jeep. Mine is my only vehicle, used it to commute to college and it currently has a 2" and 30s on it.

Thanks! Im gonna have to check out your build thread for some ideas
Unread 03-06-2015, 08:33 PM   #5
JeepSki17
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1GiLaNtE View Post
Smart man doing maintenance first then mods. You will thank yourself later.

If you're trying to build a budget 3" lift you're totally doing it right. Might want to consider shocks at that height. JK Rubicon shocks work perfectly and you can easily pick them up for the cheap when those guys are upgrading! Add in some Rough Country Bar Pin eliminators while you're in there so if you ever go bigger swapping shocks will be a breeze! Not to mention you'll gain an extra inch in shock down travel!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/i...ite-up-603221/
Since this is my only vehicle I'm trying to keep it as mechanically sound as possible and save my 0331 head from the dreaded crack. I also looked into putting the JK shocks on and I plan on picking up a set if I can find them cheap.

My next mod on the list involves the Autopal housings that are on the way to my doorstep and the Putco harness that is sitting on my kitchen counter
Unread 03-07-2015, 07:56 AM   #6
V1GiLaNtE

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Another win in my book. You will love the new headlights with harness!
V1GiLaNtE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2015, 11:07 AM   #7
PimaXJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

The Euro headlamps are a great upgrade & one on my list. Keep the cooling system in top notch condition & the cylinder head should last.
PimaXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2015, 09:08 PM   #8
pggp

Less is more

Hi, This vehicle is a pleasure to behold.
Best advice, replace any worn or unreliable parts with components as close to stock as possible.
Keep it clean, polish with clear-coat safe non-abrasive polish.
Drive within sensible range on- and off-road.
Let the circus performers provide entertainment by hacking switching and following failure with extreme modification followed by more failure.
You have one of the best value for money, reliable and sought after vehicles available today.
pggp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2015, 10:39 PM   #9
Muddy97Cherokee
Broke College Jeeper

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Broke college kid here and I feel your pain! lol. My jeep has come a long way for myself being in college and having a very small budget for it. Always love watching other college kids builds too. So subbed to your build! Like Vigilante said doing maintenance first is a great start. Having a lifted jeep with upgrades always makes routine and simple maintenance a pain. Anyway plans for 3" lift looks good. Pretty much what I did when I started my build. Bought aftermarket 3" coils and did a bastard pack in the rear. And threw some red JK Rubicon shocks under it since I got them for free. Join some local jeep clubs and there will be shocks being thrown out left and right. Along with other jeep parts. And I'll tell you now, once you do lift it you'll wan to go bigger immediately! But don't get sucked into it cause you'll be throwing money at your jeep left and right afterwards, like me! haha
BUILD THREAD
IG: zack_hstadt
-ZACK
Muddy97Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2015, 06:44 PM   #10
JeepSki17
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PimaXJ View Post
The Euro headlamps are a great upgrade & one on my list. Keep the cooling system in top notch condition & the cylinder head should last.
Yes I'm hoping my head will stay in good condition. My gauge is always at or below 210 and was never overheated by me. If it ends up cracking, no big deal. I'll just toss a tupy head in and know that I don't have to religiously watch it anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy97Cherokee View Post
Broke college kid here and I feel your pain! lol. My jeep has come a long way for myself being in college and having a very small budget for it. Always love watching other college kids builds too. So subbed to your build! Like Vigilante said doing maintenance first is a great start. Having a lifted jeep with upgrades always makes routine and simple maintenance a pain. Anyway plans for 3" lift looks good. Pretty much what I did when I started my build. Bought aftermarket 3" coils and did a bastard pack in the rear. And threw some red JK Rubicon shocks under it since I got them for free. Join some local jeep clubs and there will be shocks being thrown out left and right. Along with other jeep parts. And I'll tell you now, once you do lift it you'll wan to go bigger immediately! But don't get sucked into it cause you'll be throwing money at your jeep left and right afterwards, like me! haha
I just read through your build thread and instantly subbed! It looks like i'll be starting out exactly like you did. I don't know if I ever want to go as tall as you're at now, but once I get into it I'll probably be saying different hahaha. You have one sweet jeep
Unread 03-11-2015, 09:58 PM   #11
Muddy97Cherokee
Broke College Jeeper

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepSki17 View Post
I just read through your build thread and instantly subbed! It looks like i'll be starting out exactly like you did. I don't know if I ever want to go as tall as you're at now, but once I get into it I'll probably be saying different hahaha. You have one sweet jeep
Thanks! Ya I do sit pretty tall at 6.5". Plan is to cut it down to 4.5" once I cut out the rockers to replace with 2x3 steel tubing. Then build tube flares from the rockers to the bumpers. And that'll be either before or after I get 35's, haven't completely decided yet.
BUILD THREAD
IG: zack_hstadt
-ZACK
Muddy97Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2015, 03:31 AM   #12
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Looking good!

As mentioned above, I was glad to see maintenance among one of the first things done, pretty crucial starting point to any build. You already seem to have a pretty good grasp of what you have/what you need to do, and you're heading in the right direction with the mods. The H4/harness upgrade is a good one to start with right off the bat, so good choice there.

Side note on the Putco harness, when I bought mine I had heard of many people having problems with the relays going bad prematurely. Better replacement relays are available but just for experiments sake I made sure to securely mount the relays, use dielectric grease around the connections, and spend some extra time on getting good ground connections. That was back in early 2013 and Ive yet to have an issue out of them, so take your time with the install and you'll be a happy camper.

Will be keeping an eye on this one, I like budget DD builds.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2015, 05:26 PM   #13
JeepSki17
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Putco harness and autopals came in! Should be installed in the next few days when I find some time. Also shopping around for tires that aren't going to completely clear out my bank account lol
Unread 03-22-2015, 02:42 PM   #14
JeepSki17
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Putco Harness/Autopal Housings Install

Since I'm done working on weekends I finally have time to work on my heep and install the lights and harness that have been sitting around for a week. It was a straightforward install and only took about 30 minutes with a break in between to warm up from being outside. The weather in NEPA still isn't too pleasing lol but I found a nice spot in the sun on my driveway.

I started by popping my hood and taking the headlight bezels and the grille off of the front

After that I started to find out the best way to route the harness. I ended up going through the hole right in front of the battery that leads into the passenger side headlight area. You can barely see it in the joke of a picture that I took with my iPhone, but trust me, its there

I skipped using the mounting bracket that came with the harness for the relays and mounted them both straight to the inner fender on the passenger side right next to the fuse box. I also ran the power wires to the fuse box power post under its little black cover instead of straight to the battery

I ran the drivers side wire across the front of the radiator next to the front bumper. For grounding points, I used two of the radiator support bolts after I cleaned them up with a wire wheel on my dremel

I'll get a picture of the light output down on my road tonight and see how much of an upgrade these things really are
Unread 03-22-2015, 06:49 PM   #15
JeepSki17
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Well the testing is complete. I should've done this the week I picked the jeep up!

Lows

Highs

I really wish I got a picture with the piece of junk sealed beams on stock wiring to compare on here, but these bad boys are amazing compared to stock, and that's still only with 55/60w bulbs that came with the housings! Definitely a mod recommended to all

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.