You're opinion for a first time buyer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > You're opinion for a first time buyer

Bds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 05-23-2013, 11:17 PM   #1
Feltner165
2001 TJ Wrangler 

You're opinion for a first time buyer

First off I want to say I have done endless research and forum reading till I finally just decided to ask for owner opinions. I'm buying my first jeep and I am deciding between tj or jk. I know both have pros and cons to them but I want to know which you think is best. I have owned multiple 4x4s all of which have been daily drivers that I have lifted and off roaded as well so I'm no stranger to working on my vehicle. I'm a firefighter so I need a daily driver that won't let me down alll the time because i cant miss work. (occasional breakdowns are expected I'm buying a used car) I am definitely going to lift my jeep and offroad with it as we'll. the most extreme I plan on doing is trails at the cliffs insane terrain park in Illinois. I like that the jk is easy to stuff tires under and it also has more creature comforts as well as the new hard top they come with. But I also like the rugged look of the tj and that it has the classic 4.0 I6. But my main dilemma is I can buy a jk with a decent amount of miles on it for the same price as a used tj with similar miles, usually going newer is better but what are your opinions? Also I have a price limit of 22k.

Feltner165 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2013, 11:27 PM   #2
AlbertaJeeper
2013 JK Wrangler 

Depending on whether you're thinking Sport/base or a Rubi then you could get up to a new one with that limit. I think the sports start at 19 so you could find used for definitely less than that. Never had a tj, but I can definitely say a JKU is awesome for things like camping, all the room you could need, plus great for off road
AlbertaJeeper is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2013, 04:06 AM   #3
gotjeep12
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Hello I just went thru the same delma.I'm a 15 year YJ driver also had a 05 and a 08 liberty and a old school grand. Buy newer or do the TJ? I like power the JK not so much. Out of the box TJs the deal. I found a 03 because my wheeling buddys with the six speed and my 05 KJ never used 1st gear.03 has the 5 speed. One of my YJs had a header cam and k&n with stock 3.73s. 32inch mts to. She would bark 2nd and walk away from all other jeeps in my tribe.(Yes I got pretty good at replacing u joints on the side of the road haha)We test driven them all, best thing to do is hop in a jk and see what you think. If your use to trucks and such the jks a dog and what to do for aftermarket? It all sounds cool but does it work? The real deal if you had the cash would be to repower a jk right away. Or buy two TJs haha. GOOD LUCK Please let us know what U end up with.
gotjeep12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2013, 11:46 AM   #4
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaJeeper View Post
Depending on whether you're thinking Sport/base or a Rubi then you could get up to a new one with that limit. I think the sports start at 19 so you could find used for definitely less than that. Never had a tj, but I can definitely say a JKU is awesome for things like camping, all the room you could need, plus great for off road
a new sport 2d starts at 22.2K that is stripped msrp
the new 3.6 will walk the 4,o by far unless you have drove one you have no idea. the new motor torque curve is dead flat and is only limited by the fuel cut off at 6700rpm. it pulls like a bull all the way through the rpms. they breath better. do not talk about mods it is not apples to apples, you could RIPP the new 3.6 and its putting out over 450HP at the crank. good luck not breaking eeverything behind it.
the power of the 3.8 was rather weak on the road.

The Tj is a great choice. though most will have alot of miles by now. Though great deals can be found, rust free low miles. I have seen here a super clean under 25' miles Lj stock for 15-16K an o5 i think.
Unread 05-24-2013, 11:55 AM   #5
Bhamshooter
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Since you're planning on wheeling with it, look for a Rubi TJ. You'll get the D44 Axles that way, and the I-6. And it should be cheaper than a comparable Rubi JK.

I just like the looks of the TJ better. I test drove new JK's and JKU's. Ended up buying my TJ. It is older, being a 2004, but it had low mileage and was taken care of. Stock still, but I'll upgrade at some point.
Bhamshooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2013, 10:59 AM   #6
Feltner165
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I know it's been a while since I replied to this thread and I want to thank you guys for your advice. Months later I finally bought one. I decided to go a cheap route being that other things came up. I got a 01 blue tj sport. Love it! I will definitely be sticking with jeeps for a while never drove anything more fun. The only thing I don't love is the storage but that was something I knew going into it. I pulled the back seat out since its usually only me and my girlfriend and now I have an excuse to make others drive around instead of me. I'm in northern Illinois so the half doors/soft top are not so fun in the cold, will be looking into hard tops soon. Already got a 2 inch lift, which netted me 3 and put on 33s. Will be adding bl soon. Now for the winter to end so I can take it on its first offroad trip.
Feltner165 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2013, 07:41 PM   #7
eastcoastcam
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Congrats on the new to you ride B) ! Why wait for spring to wheel? Snow wheeling is awesome!
eastcoastcam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.