YJ vs TJ vs JK - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > YJ vs TJ vs JK

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Artec Flash Sale - 15% off and Free Shipping over $300Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!

Unread 04-05-2012, 11:57 PM   #76
AmmitOsiris
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron0028 View Post
Torque>horsepower

I am not saying there is anything wrong with the 3.8, but I will take the 4.0 anyday over the 3.8. I don't care about hp crawling at 2mph. I think most will agree the 4.0 produces the torque sooner, which is more useful.
i love my 4.2

AmmitOsiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2012, 10:51 AM   #77
wendell
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Hell yeah!!! a 4.2 hits peak torque around 1,800 rpms, thats awesome for crawling a round off road. The 4.2 has a little bit better lowend than the 4.0 and they both are better than the 3.8. They used the 3.8 because it had the best lowend of chryslers V-6's, cause it still had the cam in block design. Most OHC engines tend to make power in the upper rpm ranges. The 3.8 was the best of what they had, but it's not as good as the I-6 for lowend torque. Loosing the I-6 is my main dislike of the jk, all though there are other reasons God knows he he.
wendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2012, 06:47 PM   #78
AmmitOsiris
1990 YJ Wrangler 

yep the 4.2 is awesome just wish i could pump it up more but cali has the lynch mob sent out for you if yoare a gross polluter....
Unread 04-06-2012, 08:06 PM   #79
lwow
1995 YJ Wrangler 

In 50 years maybe we will know when the data is in. Will we care?

For 100% more cash I could have bought a TJ with more mileage. Do the math. It will still come out how you feel about it.
70 Scout 800 SR2 sv304
lwow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2012, 10:22 AM   #80
wendell
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, on my 258 I installed a holley 470 4 barrel, offy intake, comp cam, rollor rockers, ported head, header, hipo pistons, HEI and MSD, IT SCREAMS!!!
wendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 12:22 PM   #81
2goats69ing

Has anyone else noticed that jeeps can only be compared to other jeeps
2goats69ing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 04:45 PM   #82
DJs99TJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2goats69ing
Has anyone else noticed that jeeps can only be compared to other jeeps
That is the joy & privilege of owning a JEEP!
DJs99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2013, 04:58 PM   #83
grymsr
Vintage Member

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonrubicon

to crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

Use whatever wrangler suits your tastes.

lol

Black Jeep Club v1.0 and v2.0 #1776
DR Z MUST BE STOPPED #7
grymsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2013, 11:42 PM   #84
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

If your a person who likes to tinker and build your own vehicles get a YJ They are the most fun to drive, Cheapest to Buy and Build
Unread 09-01-2013, 04:00 AM   #85
clintlight27
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Having just sold my Jk and returning to my YJ, my vote is YJ all day long. For me the 4.0 is a much better engine than the 3.8. In addition to the more robust engine, I find the overall quality of the JK to be lacking.
clintlight27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 05:32 PM   #86
minesbroken
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder_Pilot View Post
There are so many things wrong here.

For one, the JK is cheaper to mod in countless respects. HP Dana 30 and Dana 44 stock, so you don't even need to think about an axle swap until at least 37" tires. And 35"s can be fitted easily with only mild lifts. New fenders are the same price as flares for a TJ or YJ. Bumpers cost the same irrespective of model. Tops are more expensive for Unlimited models, but because there's more of it. Lift kits are largely the same price, suspension components are largely the same price...the only times where JK parts get substantially pricier than comparable TJ parts is when the extra size of the Unlimited comes in to play.

And unreliable? The 3.8L engine doesn't have many years in a Jeep, but was well-known to be a tough old brick in the minivans for decades. A little underpowered, yes, but certainly not unreliable. The transmissions carried right over from the later TJs. They're not really any harder to work on-once in a while, you need to reflash the computer if you change the gear ratio, but the idea that the JK is some massively complex computerized monster is a myth held up by TJ, YJ and CJ owners.

Statistically speaking, the JK is the most reliable-but modern vehicles are more reliable than their older counterparts by a wide margin, simply due to technological advancement.

The body steel is the same gauge and thickness as the TJ. There are some fiberglass parts-notice that they're all only parts that frequently get broken or replaced off-road, irrespective of material? I know I'm not the only one who's bashed up my TJ fenders off-road. It'll cost me hundreds of dollars and several hours to replace my bashed, rusted fenders. JK? Whole set for a few hundred and an hour with a socket set.
I will add this:
I had a YJ and am looking to get a YJ or a TJ. that said, I would rather find a clean YJ because as a person who works on cars for a living I dont like the idea of a computer controlling every single thing in a vehicle. A YJ is a dinosaur, it's really the last of the AMC Jeeps. The 4.2 and 4 litre I6 engines are unbelievably reliable, although the early models did come with a crap carburator...this is easily fixed. the Yj, also came with a crap 5 speed puegot transmission for a couple of years...other than that they are pretty well built rigs and easily built up if you can find one that isnt returning to mother nature.
TJ Jeeps got an interior and suspension upgrade but have largely the same drivetrain as the late model YJ's. lot's of metal. I6 motor...ax15 trans... also a good rig. obdII compliant making it alittle easier to diagnose what all those sensors are saying. bcm and ecm modules to run the engine and body.. still fairly simple by current standards... still needed a key to start the thing...still had ignition power in the key cylinder (where it belongs). towards the end of the run Jeep chrysler converted to the almighty can bus system. where when you turn the key a computer tells a computer to tell a computer to start the car. this is the way it has been ever since.
So yes, they are electronically ALOT more complicated...as far as reliability is concerned...I would say that mechanically the motors are probably great motors...but I have seen jeeps with 4.2 liter and 4 liter motors roll into my shop with over 4 hundred miles on the original motors, daily drivers and all that was done were religious oil changes. I have no faith in the computers, especially if they are built in china. I have seen more electronic failures than mechanical in my 20 years of working on cars, and it is my observation that the more complicated you make something the less likely it is to last.
minesbroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 10:06 PM   #87
Tom95YJ

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by minesbroken
I will add this: I had a YJ and am looking to get a YJ or a TJ. that said, I would rather find a clean YJ because as a person who works on cars for a living I dont like the idea of a computer controlling every single thing in a vehicle. A YJ is a dinosaur, it's really the last of the AMC Jeeps. The 4.2 and 4 litre I6 engines are unbelievably reliable, although the early models did come with a crap carburator...this is easily fixed. the Yj, also came with a crap 5 speed puegot transmission for a couple of years...other than that they are pretty well built rigs and easily built up if you can find one that isnt returning to mother nature. TJ Jeeps got an interior and suspension upgrade but have largely the same drivetrain as the late model YJ's. lot's of metal. I6 motor...ax15 trans... also a good rig. obdII compliant making it alittle easier to diagnose what all those sensors are saying. bcm and ecm modules to run the engine and body.. still fairly simple by current standards... still needed a key to start the thing...still had ignition power in the key cylinder (where it belongs). towards the end of the run Jeep chrysler converted to the almighty can bus system. where when you turn the key a computer tells a computer to tell a computer to start the car. this is the way it has been ever since. So yes, they are electronically ALOT more complicated...as far as reliability is concerned...I would say that mechanically the motors are probably great motors...but I have seen jeeps with 4.2 liter and 4 liter motors roll into my shop with over 4 hundred miles on the original motors, daily drivers and all that was done were religious oil changes. I have no faith in the computers, especially if they are built in china. I have seen more electronic failures than mechanical in my 20 years of working on cars, and it is my observation that the more complicated you make something the less likely it is to last.
Your like me , thus the reason my DD is a 24 year old YJ. With a 4.2l It still has the Carter Carb and BA10 tranny but a Fast EFI, Offenhauser intake , Clifford header and comp cams can are in its future along with an AX15
Unread 09-27-2013, 09:17 AM   #88
AmmitOsiris
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ
Your like me , thus the reason my DD is a 24 year old YJ. With a 4.2l It still has the Carter Carb and BA10 tranny but a Fast EFI, Offenhauser intake , Clifford header and comp cams can are in its future along with an AX15
is that all smog exempt?

Sent from Peggy's office
Unread 09-27-2013, 09:41 AM   #89
Tom95YJ

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmmitOsiris
is that all smog exempt? Sent from Peggy's office
The fast fuel injection is Carb cert. the header and intake probably not. I don't live in California so I am not worried. If it's running properly the emissions won't be an issue passing. And I have ways around the smog testing.
Unread 09-28-2013, 01:37 PM   #90
panthermark
2013 JK Wrangler 

The sweet, sweet 96....they are a collectors item.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trw View Post

The difference is negligible to be honest. After having test driven several 3.6 JKs, I was genuinely disappointed, and I'm running 3.21s with 33s to boot. Unless I have an exceptionally healthy 3.8, I couldn't see what the hubub was all about (I dont have the 42RLE auto, though).
If you are just driving around town by yourself, you won't feel much of a difference....especially if you are driving a stick. Where the difference comes through is when you need to put your foot in it to pass....or hold your speed on a hill.....or are carrying 3 other people and luggage.

Also, the WA580 is worlds better than the 42RLE.....that tranny change was as important as the engine change.

I see why I'm a loner....and I love it!
panthermark is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.