YJ vs TJ vs JK - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > YJ vs TJ vs JK

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREERough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 03-28-2012, 09:24 PM   #46
baritone_mike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
Sorry the four cylinder guys get butthurt so easily.

I was expecting flack for criticism of TJ interiors instead.

I am curious about rear wheel horsepower and torque of a four cylinder.
You can have your opinions on the 4 banger but the 4 banger was not that guys problem if my Jeep will do 60 just fine with 33's which are a little bigger then 31's.

I would love someone to dyno test a Jeep. I read somewhere we loose 30% of the power by the time it gets to the wheels so you take my factory 121hp (more then the 4.2) and subtract 30% (36hp) you get about 85hp and that is assuming my 24 year old motor with 168,000 miles is still putting out the factory power. The lack of power means that my tiny D35 will hold up just a little longer then if I had the massive by comparison power of an 4.0 or god forbid a SBC.

The 4 banger puts out 135 ftlbs of torque but I don't know how much of that gets to the wheels.

Unread 03-28-2012, 10:21 PM   #47
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

OMG

85 hp

Many motorcycles make more than that.

On a lighter more humorous note, many former four banger Wrangler owners find a JK to be fast and quick. A fast Jeep? That is funny stuff right there.

My comments about power are really about two things. Taking a cross country trip that has some sections of interstate 75 mph, which everyone drives faster than the speedlimit. The other question about power has to do with being able to easily pull a boat, particularly at highway speeds.

I have not driven a 2012 JK, but besides an incrementally more powerful engine, it has a substantially better automatic transmission.

I would love to try out a CRD JK.
Unread 03-29-2012, 03:06 AM   #48
trw
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by baritone_mike View Post
You can have your opinions on the 4 banger but the 4 banger was not that guys problem if my Jeep will do 60 just fine with 33's which are a little bigger then 31's.
Depends on your definition of "just fine".

My YJ had 30s....30s! and I could do 60 too, but it was in 4th gear (sometimes 3rd) with the poor thing revving to high heaven, and any hill mean't I was saying goodbye to 60 in short order. I had to floor it to get anywhere and clearly took its toll on the motor as it died at 145k miles, and it made no difference in power after it was rebuilt, same old gutless 4 popper, just shinier.

low elevation with relatively flat roads down here in houston. Driving in Utah, Colorado and Arizona was an absolute nightmare. I had semis passing me uphill.

you may get used to and/or accept the 4 banger, but you never "love" it.

Quote:
I have not driven a 2012 JK, but besides an incrementally more powerful engine, it has a substantially better automatic transmission.
The difference is negligible to be honest. After having test driven several 3.6 JKs, I was genuinely disappointed, and I'm running 3.21s with 33s to boot. Unless I have an exceptionally healthy 3.8, I couldn't see what the hubub was all about (I dont have the 42RLE auto, though).
1978 Jeep CJ-7 - 304 V8, TH400 auto and quadratrac
2007 Jeep Liberty - Mother's Jeep, BFG ATs and....mud?
trw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2012, 05:03 AM   #49
GrassLakeRon
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChristopher View Post
The only thing that's German in the JK is the NSG370 6-speed manual tranny (sourced from Mercedes), which was used in later model TJs and LJs as well. That means all 6-speed manual LJs are German too, according to what you're saying.
So how much of the design was thanks to Mercedes? It wasn't just the tranny.... I have friends that worked along side the German team that worked/designed most of the JK. Now they work with the Italians on the newer JK's and are designing the next generation right now. I was listening to the gripes about the 3.6 several months before the new ones were offered to the public. When you live 8 miles from the proving grounds you get to see and sit in a lot of things.
GrassLakeRon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2012, 06:06 AM   #50
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
OMG

85 hp

Many motorcycles make more than that.

On a lighter more humorous note, many former four banger Wrangler owners find a JK to be fast and quick. A fast Jeep? That is funny stuff right there.

My comments about power are really about two things. Taking a cross country trip that has some sections of interstate 75 mph, which everyone drives faster than the speedlimit. The other question about power has to do with being able to easily pull a boat, particularly at highway speeds.

I would love to try out a CRD JK.
I have a 95 with the 2.5. Right now I am running 30 inch tires. I drive it everyday to work and back which is 83 miles each way and crosses two mountains. I can go over the mountains at 70 - 75 and in keeping up with traffic hit 80 and 85. I still have a little left if I would need to go faster. The 2.5 gets a bad rap. No it isnt the most powerful engine but it gets the job done and is not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. When it blows I will probably upgrade it to the 4.0 but I am in no rush. At 200,000 miles and still running perfectly I am pretty sure it will last several more years before I have to worry about it going. As another said. You talk about people having first hand experience and then go an do the same EXACT thing you just complained about. It sounds to me like you are trying to justify a Jeep payment or something. I am on my second 2.5 Jeep my first was a TJ. I didnt really like it that much. Now I have a YJ and I love it. I am driving a Jeep I do not want it to ride like a cadalac. I want a loud obnoxious rough ride. Its tough and easy to work on. I do not need to worry about 3 and 4 links when I change the springs to lift it. You have a JK and probably a payment to go along with it.(Its a 2007 so it may be paid off now I do not know) Since it is what you have obviously to YOU it is the best out there. Most people will feel the same about their Jeep. I know I do. It's all personal preference. You drive it not anyone else. Just be happy you drive a Jeep and not something else. This thread should be closed and deleted. None of them are better than the other. They all have the ups and downs. Which one is best depends on what the driver wants. It is not and never will be a cut and dry answer. So just follow these instructions

1. Buy Jeep
2. Wheel Jeep
3. Build Jeep up
4. Wheel the balls of the Jeep
5. ???????
6. Get used to the **** eating grin its gonna be there for a long time.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2012, 10:25 AM   #51
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Say what you will want about the 4 cylinder. It's quite apparent there's more than enough of us that are capable of driving on the highways AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS nontheless, we don't have to prove anything to the forum parrots.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2012, 11:28 AM   #52
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
Say what you will want about the 4 cylinder. It's quite apparent there's more than enough of us that are capable of driving on the highways AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS nontheless, we don't have to prove anything to the forum parrots.
Now thats funny a PARROT saying dont listen to PARROTS.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Unread 03-29-2012, 01:50 PM   #53
baritone_mike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trw View Post
Depends on your definition of "just fine".

My YJ had 30s....30s! and I could do 60 too, but it was in 4th gear (sometimes 3rd) with the poor thing revving to high heaven, and any hill mean't I was saying goodbye to 60 in short order. I had to floor it to get anywhere and clearly took its toll on the motor as it died at 145k miles, and it made no difference in power after it was rebuilt, same old gutless 4 popper, just shinier.

low elevation with relatively flat roads down here in houston. Driving in Utah, Colorado and Arizona was an absolute nightmare. I had semis passing me uphill.

you may get used to and/or accept the 4 banger, but you never "love" it.
Just fine I mean in 5th gear with the gas not pinned to the floor. Small hills I can pin the gas or down shift to 4th. There is a big hill that I have to do 45mph up in 4th or some times 3rd depending on traffic and the run I can get at it, but I just get in the right lane, unless there is a semi because I would pass him.

My Jeep never sees north of 3,500rpm on the big hill, I could carry more speed up the hill but don't want to ring out the motor. I shift between 2,500 and 3,000rpm even on the freeway, the Jeep does cruse at like 2,800rpm in 5th though. My speedo is not corrected for the tires so I should be doing about 65-70 when my speedo says 60. Which is strange seeing as you could not keep 60 on 30's which would not be off by nearly as much as 33's. I have 168K on my motor and it runs fine, it does not even leak oil because I just had that fixed, as it was leaking before the lift/tires.

And I can tell you that I do not get used to or accept my Jeep I "love" my Jeep.

It could be that I have no armor on my Jeep just an after market swing out, or the fact that I am running A/T's at discount tire's recomended 35psi (they wear just fine) not M/T's at 28psi, or that I have a soft top and half doors not a hard top and full doors, or the fact that I wash the mud off my Jeep to prevent rust and consiquently keeping weight down, or maybe a sport bar weighs less then a family bar? I am the only one in my Jeep most of the time and weigh 140lbs, I weighed my Jeep at the dump once and it weighed 3,340lbs with me in it and a full tank of gas, what did your Jeep weigh? Or maybe I just have an abnormal 2.5 or maybe everyone else just has rotten apples?
Unread 03-29-2012, 03:54 PM   #54
Spank
2012 JK Wrangler 

I love all three. I've owned all three. I've had a blast in all three.
Unread 03-29-2012, 06:53 PM   #55
01xjmn
1999 TJ Wrangler 

LMAo PLZZZ dont bash my head in, and I know the op didnt ask anything about xj's , but my 01 had tons of power, alot more than my tj and it also had an Aw4 and rode like a dream
01xjmn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2012, 01:22 PM   #56
wendell
1987 YJ Wrangler 

The best jeep is a bare bones no nonsense I-6 powered off road vehicle, those stopped after 06, now there's just chrysler wanna be humers. The best jeep between the cj, yj and tj, is the one that you own or want to own. There is no best, there all great.
wendell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2012, 03:33 PM   #57
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell View Post
The best jeep is a bare bones no nonsense I-6 powered off road vehicle, those stopped after 06, now there's just chrysler wanna be humers. The best jeep between the cj, yj and tj, is the one that you own or want to own. There is no best, there all great.
This sums it up perfectly word for word.

Unread 03-31-2012, 02:04 AM   #58
trw
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell View Post
I never get tired of laughing at your posts
1978 Jeep CJ-7 - 304 V8, TH400 auto and quadratrac
2007 Jeep Liberty - Mother's Jeep, BFG ATs and....mud?
trw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2012, 03:11 AM   #59
exhooah
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunshw301
Hands down, the '96 wrangler was the best.
I agree! I traded my 83 'vette in for one.
exhooah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2012, 02:03 PM   #60
wendell
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I know, I know, I'm tired of slamming the jk, we need a new wrangler so I can start over ha ha!!
wendell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
wrangler jk wrangler , wrangler tj , wrangler yj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.