YJ vs TJ Cost & Availability of Parts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > YJ vs TJ Cost & Availability of Parts

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-22-2013, 08:26 AM   #1
chief2001

YJ vs TJ Cost & Availability of Parts

I am looking to he into my first Wrangler, and have been going back and forth between the YJ and the TJ. The goal and purpose is to get in cheap (around $5k) with something I can use to learn some mechanics, while building a fun ride along the way. It's pretty damn flat in Kansas, so I won't be building a monster crawler or anything. Will probably start out as my weekend driver.

Sure I know all the differences (square vs round, leaf vs coil, etc.), what I don't know is if the YJs are too old that it's harder/more expensive to find parts.

Any thoughts from the YJ / TJ community?

Thanks, Tim

chief2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2013, 02:09 PM   #2
Mobile_Homie
Desert Rat

1994 YJ Wrangler 

There is plenty of support for the YJ out there. I would look toward one that some little old man pulled behind the RV or a little garage queen. I cannot stress too much the importance of an unmolested rig! Rust should not be an issue in Kansas? Would definitely get one with fuel injection, much more dependable.

Smoke em if you got em!

Click here
Mobile_Homie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2013, 02:37 PM   #3
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

For 5k I bet you could get a YJ in nice condition. At that price a TJ likely to have issues.
Unread 06-23-2013, 12:31 PM   #4
wendell
1987 YJ Wrangler 

YJ's are cheaper and the parts are free....YEAH, YJ wins!!!!
wendell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 12:35 PM   #5
yamaguy01
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Location: McGuire AFB (Ft. Dix), NJ/Oxford, NC, I can't wait until I get to leave NJ!
Where are these illusive "FREE" YJ parts?
Square Headlights group member #222
Armed Forces Jeeps group member #65
United States Air Force group member #12
Guns and Jeeps group member #10
Ron Paul Jeepers group member #7
yamaguy01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 12:40 PM   #6
wendell
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Seriously, tj's are newer and should cost more. There's good parts availability for either, or even willys still for that matter. YJ's are a simple jeep with there leaf springs and sparse interior. Basically a cj with square head lights. Both very good jeeps.
wendell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 12:46 PM   #7
yamaguy01
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Location: McGuire AFB (Ft. Dix), NJ/Oxford, NC, I can't wait until I get to leave NJ!
You never really intend to go out and build a radical Jeep when you buy one... They talk you into it after a while. It starts with a little bit here and then there, then your transmission craps out and you upgrade etc. Then you want more power, it never ends! Get ready!
Both are great Jeeps, the problem is even old rusty Jeeps tend to hold their value. People just don't give them up so easily. Good luck on your search!
Square Headlights group member #222
Armed Forces Jeeps group member #65
United States Air Force group member #12
Guns and Jeeps group member #10
Ron Paul Jeepers group member #7
yamaguy01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 08:11 PM   #8
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I vote YJ. A TJ is unheard of for that price without major issues, whereas a YJ will practically be new for that price.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 09:18 PM   #9
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

I have a YJ and am looking for another rig and have the same budget you do. $5k will get you a nice YJ or a near crap TJ. YJ's are cheaper to build because of the leaf springs and every bit as reliable. The TJ does have some more amenities, but personally I like the simplicity of interior of the YJ.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 11:21 AM   #10
Zombi
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaguy01 View Post
Where are these illusive "FREE" YJ parts?
On the sides of the road after previous YJ's come through

Not serious of course.
If I could find one with a pristine frame, I'd be all over it. Helloooo big axles made easy.
Zombi's are in fact very unpleasant to be around, they smell, and bite--also, they eat babies.
Zombi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 06:31 PM   #11
auburnhunter
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Its hard to find an unmolested Jeep these days. Seems like I am always fixing something that someone else fixed incorrectly and made worse. A stock jeep in cherry condition will cost you.

Any older Jeep seems to hold its value very well. I always say its because they don't make them any more. Look at what people pay for those kawisaki mules/John Deere Gators! Ridiculous! Its because you can't buy a simple, basic, weatherproof utility vehicle anymore. A gator/mule is the same size as an old Willys! Heck, even Samuri's sell for more than they did new!
Unread 06-26-2013, 08:43 PM   #12
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I've owned a TJ and a YJ and I now have another YJ.

My TJ was bought back by chrysler THANK YOU LEMON LAW ! I replaced it with a 95 YJ. My YJ had zero issues over the 8 years I owned it before I sold it. I recently picked up a Stock 89 YJ for Free (Traded a car I got for free for it )

I perfer the YJ interior it has more legroom, Lifts are cheaper, plenty of support for parts .

Tags
cost , parts , tj , wrangler , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.