JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Wrangler General Discussion (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/)
-   -   YJ vs TJ Cost & Availability of Parts (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/yj-vs-tj-cost-availability-parts-1539755/)

chief2001 06-22-2013 07:26 AM

YJ vs TJ Cost & Availability of Parts

I am looking to he into my first Wrangler, and have been going back and forth between the YJ and the TJ. The goal and purpose is to get in cheap (around $5k) with something I can use to learn some mechanics, while building a fun ride along the way. It's pretty damn flat in Kansas, so I won't be building a monster crawler or anything. Will probably start out as my weekend driver.

Sure I know all the differences (square vs round, leaf vs coil, etc.), what I don't know is if the YJs are too old that it's harder/more expensive to find parts.

Any thoughts from the YJ / TJ community?

Thanks, Tim

Mobile_Homie 06-22-2013 01:09 PM

There is plenty of support for the YJ out there. I would look toward one that some little old man pulled behind the RV or a little garage queen. I cannot stress too much the importance of an unmolested rig! Rust should not be an issue in Kansas? Would definitely get one with fuel injection, much more dependable.

biffgnar 06-22-2013 01:37 PM

For 5k I bet you could get a YJ in nice condition. At that price a TJ likely to have issues.

wendell 06-23-2013 11:31 AM

YJ's are cheaper and the parts are free....YEAH, YJ wins!!!!

yamaguy01 06-23-2013 11:35 AM

Where are these illusive "FREE" YJ parts?

wendell 06-23-2013 11:40 AM

Seriously, tj's are newer and should cost more. There's good parts availability for either, or even willys still for that matter. YJ's are a simple jeep with there leaf springs and sparse interior. Basically a cj with square head lights. Both very good jeeps.

yamaguy01 06-23-2013 11:46 AM

You never really intend to go out and build a radical Jeep when you buy one... They talk you into it after a while. It starts with a little bit here and then there, then your transmission craps out and you upgrade etc. Then you want more power, it never ends! Get ready!
Both are great Jeeps, the problem is even old rusty Jeeps tend to hold their value. People just don't give them up so easily. Good luck on your search!

Xpress 06-23-2013 07:11 PM

I vote YJ. A TJ is unheard of for that price without major issues, whereas a YJ will practically be new for that price.

Rproject 06-25-2013 08:18 PM

I have a YJ and am looking for another rig and have the same budget you do. $5k will get you a nice YJ or a near crap TJ. YJ's are cheaper to build because of the leaf springs and every bit as reliable. The TJ does have some more amenities, but personally I like the simplicity of interior of the YJ.

Zombi 06-26-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yamaguy01 (Post 15597162)
Where are these illusive "FREE" YJ parts?

On the sides of the road after previous YJ's come through :rofl:

Not serious of course.
If I could find one with a pristine frame, I'd be all over it. Helloooo big axles made easy.

auburnhunter 06-26-2013 05:31 PM

Its hard to find an unmolested Jeep these days. Seems like I am always fixing something that someone else fixed incorrectly and made worse. A stock jeep in cherry condition will cost you.

Any older Jeep seems to hold its value very well. I always say its because they don't make them any more. Look at what people pay for those kawisaki mules/John Deere Gators! Ridiculous! Its because you can't buy a simple, basic, weatherproof utility vehicle anymore. A gator/mule is the same size as an old Willys! Heck, even Samuri's sell for more than they did new!

Tom95YJ 06-26-2013 07:43 PM

I've owned a TJ and a YJ and I now have another YJ.

My TJ was bought back by chrysler THANK YOU LEMON LAW ! I replaced it with a 95 YJ. My YJ had zero issues over the 8 years I owned it before I sold it. I recently picked up a Stock 89 YJ for Free (Traded a car I got for free for it )

I perfer the YJ interior it has more legroom, Lifts are cheaper, plenty of support for parts .

The time now is 05:31 PM.